Restricted Radio Telephone Operators Permit

Boilermaker21

Is there really a point to having this radio telephone operator permit?...i know that one of the crew has to have it, international, etc, etc.......so i got mine in the mail from the FCC yesterday....its not like you have to have qualifications or training to have it.....i think its just a way for the government to get 50 more of your dollars.....

[ QUOTE ]
Is there really a point to having this radio telephone operator permit?...i think its just a way for the government to get 50 more of your dollars.....

[/ QUOTE ]Pretty much sums it up. I do know that it's required under the ICAO treaty/agreement. I got mine for free about 20 yrs ago, glad I never tossed/lost it. On the bright side, at least you don't have to have one for domestic operations anymore.

The point to having it is to check the appropriate box on the application form for most flying jobs. I just thought of it as a one-time application fee for every job I'll ever seek for the rest of my life. When you consider that any job that MIGHT want you to leave the country will require you to have one, you might as well bite the bullet and get it. It's an investment in the future. It may be a stupid requirement, and nothing but a cash cow for Uncle Sam, but it's gotta be done.

FL270

Back