Reputable information on state-by-state need.

Ammolite

I apologize in advance if this has been posted before.

Does anyone know any reputable places to find out my state-by-state, or even better, facility-by-facility need for controllers? Some numbers, someone to contact to ask? A projected hiring # for each state? Anything at all?

I shan't waste my time with the Careers helpline, and the FAA rep. I spoke to the other day wasn't sure. I doubt the facility managers would know, either.

Any ideas?

I'm pretty sure current information isn't available to the public. I think your best bet is to call up facilities you are considering and schedule a tour and ask the questions on the tour.

Just my opinion, but If I had a qualified score, i would consider putting down WV, SD, ND, MN, CA, Guam, Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Alaska, basically anywhere that you think most 20-25 year olds would not want to be, or states like CA or TX that are just so big that you have a good chance of getting picked up. This is what i would do considering i really want an ATC job, and worry about transferring later.

Just my opinion, but If I had a qualified score, i would consider putting down WV, SD, ND, MN, CA, Guam, Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Alaska, basically anywhere that you think most 20-25 year olds would not want to be, or states like CA or TX that are just so big that you have a good chance of getting picked up. This is what i would do considering i really want an ATC job, and worry about transferring later.

I appreciate the suggestion, and completely agree with you, but I can't abandon my family so easily. I knew this announcement was "throughout the nation", but I still hoped I'd have a shot at staying close to home, especially because the nearby facility was on the news for having such a shortage.

I'm pretty sure current information isn't available to the public. I think your best bet is to call up facilities you are considering and schedule a tour and ask the questions on the tour.

Would NATCA officials possibly know?

Does it make a difference whether I schedule my tour with a NATCA rep. or the facility manager?

Would NATCA officials possibly know?

Does it make a difference whether I schedule my tour with a NATCA rep. or the facility manager?

It seems that they would know, based on this thread:
http://forums.jetcareers.com/air-traffic-control/71752-can-anyone-tell-me-who-is-the-atm-at-boi.html

I believe if you contact a NATCA rep for a tour, they put you in contact with the facility manager, although I'm not 100% sure on that... someone correct me if that's wrong...

pm me...i've got a contact in dc...what states are you thinking about applying for...let me know and i'll make a call.

Is it this guy?

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 286
It seems that they would know, based on this thread:
http://forums.jetcareers.com/air-traffic-control/71752-can-anyone-tell-me-who-is-the-atm-at-boi.html

I believe if you contact a NATCA rep for a tour, they put you in contact with the facility manager, although I'm not 100% sure on that... someone correct me if that's wrong...

Yeah, just to update the aforementioned thread, the NATCA rep was very helpful. He told me *most* of what i needed to know about staffing, but since he doesnt make the selections or determine the actual need, he doesnt know how many, if any, applicants they are selecting on the next go-around.

I contacted my facility's NATCA rep in order to request a tour and he ended up being the person who showed me around. Based on my experience touring with the NATCA rep is very casual and not structured at all. If you want a comprehensive, more organized tour of your facility it might be better to contact the facility manager.

I contacted my facility's NATCA rep in order to request a tour and he ended up being the person who showed me around. Based on my experience touring with the NATCA rep is very casual and not structured at all. If you want a comprehensive, more organized tour of your facility it might be better to contact the facility manager.

Yikes, thank you for this.

Now I just need to find out the FMs.

this has been posted numerous times:
http://flighttraining.aopa.org/members/flight_bag/pdfs/atc.pdf

just call the facility and tell em who you are and what you want

(just please don't make an ass out of yourself by asking a control tower which states need people.... use this for tower visits or some other specific request)

I had the specific towers' numbers, but felt I'd rather contact the NATCA official first, so I could call and ask for the manager by name. That's more my style.

Thanks, anyway, though.

Back