Republic Interview June 2013

PGH Maverick

I recently completed an interview at Republic. So here is the low down on my experience. Overall the company seems quite professional and fair in the interview experience.

For the record, at the time of interview, I had 1540TT, 90MULTI, 700 as CFI, a CFII, and ATP MULTI.
It took 2 business days to receive the call after I submitted the online application... One of those days was a holiday!

I was flown to Indianapolis positive space on United, and promptly met by a car service at no cost. I was originally told to stay at the Embassy Suites, however it was full. I contacted HR and they sent me to the Drury Inn. It was a great hotel with excellent breakfast and dinner included. The discounted rate was about $60 after tax, which you pay. That is your only expense on this interview! As I said, it was a great place. They then provide a voucher to have a taxi take you to the interview which is only about one mile away.

When you arrive at HQ, you proceed to the 3rd floor and check in at the desk. You will be able to store your luggage there, and meet with the other interviewees for the day. You begin the process with a 30minute presentation on the company, it's bases, and its needs. It is very informative, but if you have done your homework on the company, you already know most of it. After the presentation, you will take a 20 question written exam. The question come from the ATP bank, and if you study that you will ace it. I studied with the Sheppard Interview prep program, and think I got a 100% on that portion. It was a great way to prepare!

Next you will take a Wonderlic IQ test. It is only used in the event that your interview is borderline, and they will tell you that. That being said, if you google search it, you will find practice questions to help you get an idea of what to expect. Otherwise you CANNOT prepare for it. So don't sweat it. Spend more time preparing for the ATP questions, and on preparing for the oral interview.

After those exams you will be split up into smaller groups. Some will proceed to the oral, and other to the sim evaluation. I went to the sim...

You will spend some time while waiting around, so use it to relax your mind and meet your fellow pilots! The sim is very straight forward. I had zero experience with a flight director, let alone in a CRJ200. That being said, the sim examiner is very kind and informative. I cannot stress it enough, follow the flight director! During the brief you will be asked about a hold entry, so know your entries, and be confident in your answer. You will make a couple of power setting changes, and a few turns, again following the flight director! Then shoot the ILS to minimums and make a landing, the landing is not graded. My main advice is to use the trim A LOT!!! It is nose heavy is the final approach segment, so use trim. You don't need to brief the approach or do any radio work, just confirm their instructionslike ATC and have fun!

Then is the oral interview. In regards to technical questions, know Jeppesen charts. Even if you don't use them in your flying now, you will be tested on them and are expected to know the basics, including how to brief the approach, and missed. It is helpful to know what landing lighting you will see, and how that per its you to fly lower... I was not too sure on those. Also you will read a METAR and TAF. Know how to evaluate if you need an alternate (1,2,3 rule). There may be some other tech questions thrown in, but nothing else I remember needing to study for.

For the HR portion, it is very basic. Be yourself and answer honestly. They are not looking to trip you up, they are simply looking to get a feel for who you are and your background. Don't sweat the HR, just relax! Think of questions like what will make you a good FO, why do you want to join Republic, and even about a time where you faced adversity in the cockpit, and how you overcame it.

After that you are free to go! There will be a car service to deliver you to the airport according to when your flight home may be. We were all completed and ready to leave by 1pm. We began promptly at 8am. It is a shared car service on the trip back to the airport, so make sure folks who need to get there first get their ride first!

All of that being said, this info and other gouges you see online are very accurate. There is no cheating the interview, just be prepared and be yourself! If they asked you to come in, you have what it takes.

Two days later I received an offer to fly the Q400. I have accepted the offer and start 3 weeks from the day I interviewed. The Q is a great option as there is no contract, you still get the bonus, and they have a real need, so you will get a line quickly...in my opinion. If you are near one of their bases it will also be great! At this time there is also an incentive where you may transition to the 170/175 after two years in the Q if you so choose. That is a way they are using incentives to get folks in the Q.

With the amount of hiring happening by the end of 2013, I highly recommend taking the first class offered as there may be a large group who gets into the seniority line before you if you bypass a class! And I mean a lot of people!

I am happy to answer any questions, so send me a message if you have a specific question!

Congrats!!! Great info thanks. Do you know what the crew bases are for the Q400? Thanks again!!!!
I think Denver, Pittsburgh, and Washington D.C. Not sure if there are others. There are a couple folks on here that already work at Republic and could answer a little faster.

Crism said:
Congrats. Too bad our contract prevents transitioning between airplanes for FOs.

I thought a Q FO could change aircraft after a period of time (2 yes?).

What is this with CHQ getting 175s starting Q2 2014?

I thought a Q FO could change aircraft after a period of time (2 yes?).

What is this with CHQ getting 175s starting Q2 2014?
they aren't, Republic is getting them on their cert, but anyone from all 3 certs can bid the upgrade if they can hold it (you can't switch certs unless you're upgrading, the Q being the exception)

The two year transition from the Q and no contract term is why I jumped at the opportunity for the Q! I can switch to the jet in 2 years if I want... But this plane is going to be fun, so who knows!

For those of you who don't know, a Q FO can bid a vacancy after 2 years. The internal bonus is $1000 if you can recruit a Q pilots as well.

Make some friends, hook a brother (sister) up and make some money. That's what JC is all about right?

PS. I need to add this, please don't pm me. I can't help you with getting an interview.

The Dash guys just sent to EWR can expect one or two months of reserve. Some may see none. Those from my training class are all seeing one month due to finishing IOE at the wrong time of the month, so we won't bid a line until the following month. Hope that makes sense...

The two year transition from the Q and no contract term is why I jumped at the opportunity for the Q! I can switch to the jet in 2 years if I want... But this plane is going to be fun, so who knows!

Be careful about the 2 year rule that the company is telling you. The contract doesn't allow a FO to FO transtion unless the union waves that. There are a lot of the things that will tell you to sway your decision towards the Q, RTFC.

Back