Report: Pilots in deadly Black Hawk crash disobeyed orders

No, and also, I think maybe a call to someone in Congress is in order about that.

make all the calls you want, nobody is listening. As of today, the entire USN fighter/tactical jet fleet is without a civilian ILS or GPS approach (or even legal GPS RNAV) capability. I don't file often, but when I do, it is slant india, and we get PARs or TACANs for all my friends.

Today's mission calls for a PAR I think...

I fly the latest and almost greatest Hawk (well I think so...)
But my brothers and sisters across the state fly much older "L" model, which has steam gauges and an IFR certified GPS.

make all the calls you want, nobody is listening. As of today, the entire USN fighter/tactical jet fleet is without a civilian ILS or GPS approach (or even legal GPS RNAV) capability. I don't file often, but when I do, it is slant india, and we get PARs or TACANs for all my friends.
-sighs-

Stuff like this makes me wonder what I'm paying for in the large portion of my taxes that go to DOD.

Keep in mind that the mission of these war birds isn't to conduct IFR approaches... Would be nice though...
1. As utility aircraft, yes it is.
2. When you run into a dust storm, yes it is.

True story. A flight of two from my unit ran into a dust storm in Iraq. Well, IIMC, you either land or pop up and do an approach. The closest instrument approach was in Syria as the DOD turned off the ILS in Tallil- it's a combat zone ya know. So they landed in what they thought was the middle of the desert. The storm lifted a little, and they noticed they had actually put down between three villages and people with AK's started coming out of the buildings. So they quickly cranked, punched into the dust storm and headed for Basrah, the closest friendly approach (those silly Brits kept the ILS in service). One aircraft flamed out while taxiing in for gas. When they fueled the other they found it only had 2 gallons of usable fuel left.
A few weeks later they put an "Emergency GPS" approach into Tallil.

Back