Remember that midair over Wisconsin? [video]

No, the parachute requirement is in the regs. It applies to all aircraft. The tandem harness is still considered part of the rig and meets the requirement. As for seatbelts, that's in the regs too. All jumpers have to wear one. It may be in 91. There is a section which allows jumpers to sit on the floor but they still need a belt.
I'm on my phone and don't really feel like going through the regs tonight to find the exact place. Maybe tomorrow.

Edit: seatbelts and sitting on the floor 91.107 a 3 (ii)

Last edited:
Oh I wasn't disputing that there was a reg. I'm pretty sure that's common knowledge (insert your value for "common" here). Not entirely sure how it's germane to one guy running his airplane in to the other guy's airplane, though...

As far as seatbelts go, in the 182 it's just a metal clip that connects them to the floor of an airplane. That way they can only launch forward a foot or so incase of an accident or crash.

reference please

The larger turbine jump planes like the 208 and Twotter don't use parachutes for the pilot at every DZ I've ever been to.

So, after two cups of coffee and a quick review of the regs, it appears that they were rewritten a while back, since the last time I ever looked at them. It seems that some things were moved around and some deleted and added. It now does indeed only reference occupants in specific STCs. I humbly submit, "My bad."

As far as seatbelts go, as soon as we started climbing out, the jumpers usually took them off. They were supposed to stay onboard for any emergency below 2500 feet, but you couldn't trust them to. We had an Otter blow an engine once right at 2500'. The pilot told the guy in the right seat to tell everyone to stay strapped in as he started back to the field. The right seater took one look in the back, turned back around, and said, "Tell who ?"
There was only one Teva and a pair of goggles remaining. That load got strung across the countryside with more than a few AADs firing. Needless to say, the boss man wasn't too happy.

I humbly submit, "My bad."

It happens.

That is one of the great things about this site, if areas of your knowledge are wrong and/or out of date it will get called out. This way we all get smarter.

As far as seatbelts go, as soon as we started climbing out, the jumpers usually took them off. They were supposed to stay onboard for any emergency below 2500 feet, but you couldn't trust them to. We had an Otter blow an engine once right at 2500'. The pilot told the guy in the right seat to tell everyone to stay strapped in as he started back to the field. The right seater took one look in the back, turned back around, and said, "Tell who ?"
There was only one Teva and a pair of goggles remaining. That load got strung across the countryside with more than a few AADs firing. Needless to say, the boss man wasn't too happy.

I had an electrical short about 4000 AGL. As I was cutting off the master and all the radios, I looked down at the jumper by the door. I asked him "Stay or Go?" He glanced at his altimeter, opened the door to peek at the spot, and his answer was him diving out the door. The other three were right behind him.

Yeah, I'm curious to find out if the blame will rest on both shoulders or if the NTSB will find one pilot dropped the ball on the seperation. I don't know anything about form flying, but somebody must have lost sight of somebody and continued.

Probably both will get the blame.

...I looked down at the jumper by the door. I asked him "Stay or Go?" He glanced at his altimeter, opened the door to peek at the spot, and his answer was him diving out the door. The other three were right behind him.
I flew a 182 dropping jumpers in college...once had a girl sitting next to me facing backward lean her head back and hit the mixture full forward at 10k or so...before I could say "it's fine", the entire plane was empty. Though one was polite enough to say "good luck" on the way out the door. Thanks bro...

Back