Relocating...Doug or whoever

TheWife

We are always talking about what we are going to put in the next house we build, and I keep thinking, are we ever going to even own another house? LOL. How often do pilots get reassigned? (Is that the right word?) Once you are at an airline, do they usually keep you on he same flight or is like 4 months you fly out of Boston and then they assign you to Nantuckett? KWIM? Just wondering how realistic it is to think that we will be in the same location for a while. (I know that while he is instructing and such we could move a lot, but I mean once you have a "permanent" job.)

Doug knows more about this than I do ... but my father flew from one base for 28 years. It all depends on the aircraft type you want to fly and or how quickly you want to upgrade to Captain. If you're happy on one type and wait long enough (to upgrade) realistically you could probably stay at one domicile your entire career (baring hub closures or airframe retirements).

All of the above.

I have a friend that was based in MCO. Then got bumped to ATL. Then instead of retraining, got bumped to SLC, then was finally able to bid back to ATL.

Bases open, close, shrink and grow all of the time so unless he's willing to commute, I wouldn't totally set my heart on staying at one pilot base indefinitely.

For example, ten years ago, we had MIA, ATL, BOS, MCO, NYC, CVG, DFW, ORD, SLC, LAX, SEA and PDX. Now we've just got ATL, DFW, CVG, NYC, SLC and LAX.

We were once the biggest carriers at LAX and DFW, but now they're among our smallest operations.

When I was at Skyway, I was based in Rockford, IL, then transferred to Muskegon, MI, then Green Bay, WI and then six months later was able to be based in Milwaukee, WI. When I upgraded to captain, I got sent up to Marquette, MI and then a few months later, was able to return to Milwaukee, WI.

[ QUOTE ]
When I was at Skyway, I was based in Rockford, IL, then transferred to Muskegon, MI, then Green Bay, WI and then six months later was able to be based in Milwaukee, WI. When I upgraded to captain, I got sent up to Marquette, MI and then a few months later, was able to return to Milwaukee, WI.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow!
Did you move for any of those relocations or did you stay in Milwaukee and commute?

Back