Regulation Question

V1_cut

CL-65
I have been asked to do the required ground and flight training for a CFII applicant. I am a CFII-MEI but I have not had 2 years of experience as a CFI.

Can I teach him and endorse this CFII candidate?

I have been told about 50% “yes you can” and 50% “no you can not”.

My take on the regs is that, it says an Initial Applicant for a CFI. Because he has already received his CFI his is adding this rating onto it. I do not see why I could not do his training. I have not been given a good reason on why I can not, but the reasons for the “yes you can” answers are all the same, He is not an Initial Applicant.

I will call the FSDO this week, but I just wanted to see if anyone had any insights into this matter.
The answer seems obvious to me but I ask because so many others say I can not.

Thank you

These are the regs, Part 61.195 Flight instructor limitations and qualifications.

Subpart H

(h) Qualifications of the flight instructor for training first-time flight instructor applicants. (1) The ground training provided to an initial applicant for a flight instructor certificate must be given by an authorized instructor who—
(i) Holds a ground or flight instructor certificate with the appropriate rating, has held that certificate for at least 24 calendar months, and has given at least 40 hours of ground training; or
(ii) Holds a ground or flight instructor certificate with the appropriate rating, and has given at least 100 hours of ground training in an FAA-approved course.
(2) Except for an instructor who meets the requirements of paragraph (h)(3)(ii) of this section, a flight instructor who provides training to an initial applicant for a flight instructor certificate must—
(i) Meet the eligibility requirements prescribed in §61.183 of this part;
(ii) Hold the appropriate flight instructor certificate and rating;
(iii) Have held a flight instructor certificate for at least 24 months;

Can I teach him and endorse this CFII candidate?

Absolutely, for the reason you stated. I've seen many -II candidates specifically seek out brand-new -IIs because they're current on all the knowledge and have fresh memories of what's on the checkride.

Yes,..you can. A newly minted CFI can do any required instruction for any add-on instructor rating. As you can plainly see in the regulation, the 2-year requirement is for the initial CFI certificate.

Yes, I figured this already. I don't know why some people have such a problem with this portion of the regs.

Thanks for the quick answers. I just did not want to have any issues on game day.

No, Erik S. He is a member of Olds Forge Flyers with me and just completed his CFI today but wants to start into his CFII. I have had this discussion with Pam and Matt, they both seemed real Iffy about it which is kind of funny because it seems so clear to me. I am just going to do it, the regs are right there.

Yes, I figured this already. I don't know why some people have such a problem with this portion of the regs.
It's a mix of (1) poor reading comprehension and (2) not reading to begin with. Both have downstream effects as pilots (and CFIs) with bad information pass it on as something "everyone knows."

Back