Regulation Foggles?

Airmann

Is there a regulation that stipulates what or how foggles are supposed to look like? I ask because I wear glasses and am in instrument training currently. I have a homemade set of foggles that work perfectly for me, they certainly limit my viewing to only seeing the panel. By using my own foggles, I do not have to wear two sets of glasses, the regular foggles and my glasses.
Does anyone know if there is a reg that deals with they type of view limiting devices can be worn in training.
The DPE for my Private Pilot Check Ride did allow me to use my home made foggles, however, I have been given some resistance here at my flight school where I am training for my instrument.

No, there is no reg. Your view limiting device only needs to 1. limit your view outside the aircraft, and 2. not limit the view of your safety pilot (instructor). I've seen guys use a tri-folded sectional tucked under their headset. Your sunglasses are fine.

The only thing I've seen written on that subject from the FAA is that ball caps are not acceptable as a view limiting device.

There are several kinds of view limiting devices that can be worn over glasses. The problem with many of them and the reason foggles have become more popular is that they would block a portion of the safety pilot / instructor's view to the left and they were bulky.

If the instructor or examiner does not feel the view limiting device is adequate, they are within their rights to disallow use of it.

I don't remember where I saw them, but somebody makes clip-on foggles for eyeglasses

I just threw up a sectional chart in the wind shield. Also works well for blocking out the sun. Win/Win more.

I used the Jepp foggles during my traing over my glasses, worked just fine.

When I flight instructed the school only used "the hood" we had an issue of students being able to cheat easily with standard foggles, the Hood really cut down on student cheating because it blocked out a lot more than the foggles.

I got a pair of $4 safety glasses from walmart and a small piece of very fine grit sandpaper. 5 minutes later I had "foggles."

A prepared flight instructor's bag is never without a roll of electrical tape to apply to the top of his student's sunglasses in case the hood is forgotten.

I used the Jepp foggles during my traing over my glasses, worked just fine.

When I flight instructed the school only used "the hood" we had an issue of students being able to cheat easily with standard foggles, the Hood really cut down on student cheating because it blocked out a lot more than the foggles.

Indeed, plus it's much easier to see if they're peaking with a hood.

hood9.gif

The DPE i used in DPA required students to use this. She felt it was the best hood on the market. I found that this hood allowed no air flow to the face and my students would tend to hurl. another thing no good flight instructor should be without is sic sac. I had one within arms reach during instrument training.

The only time it matters is when an examiner cares.

The rest of the time, don't look outside. You are only cheating yourself. For what it is worth, I have only worn a foggle a few times - everything else was IMC, including instrument ride.

Personally, I find it easier to fly under the hood than without. There aren't as many distractions. The only downside to the hood is that I'll have to turn my head to see some things I could see without moving my head were I not wearing a hood.

The rest of the time, don't look outside. You are only cheating yourself. For what it is worth, I have only worn a foggle a few times - everything else was IMC, including instrument ride.

I'm going to highlight that because it's very true. You can't cheat when you're in IMC.

About the foggles- just take them to the examiner beforehand and see what he/she says.

I've heard tale of examiners just saying, "tip your ballcap down." Tales only, of course, never happened to me...

Back