Regional Pilot Pay

[ QUOTE ]
Even a King Air gig ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Gosh I've been trying to find one of those for 16 years!

At least one that would last ...

John,

Our regular lineholders have a minimum guarantee of 85 hours a month. Pilots holding reserve or coverage lines have a minimum guarantee of 70 hours a month. From time to time, a senior pilot will bid a reserve line, but this is not the norm - usually, the regular lines go to the more senior pilots, while the reserve and coverage lines go to the more junior pilots.

Our most junior RJ captain has been here over 13 years (and yes, he's on reserve).

Best wishes,
FFFI
(NOT at Comair)

[ QUOTE ]
....as a corporate or charter pilot there will be times when you simply have to fly regardless of who's birthday it is or who's wedding you're supposed to attend or what holiday it is -

[/ QUOTE ]

had one Captain who was getting married at noon Saturday some time back. The girls ( or the wolves as we refer to them) in the front office called him and said, What is your schedual like? he said I am getting married in two days at noon....

Reply: Oh good we have a trip that will get you back by 10:30 that morning..

He said no you don;t understand ... I am getting married...

Reply: did you need us to fax you the trip info or are you going to pick it up here.

He told her in not somany words to pack-it.. and didn't take the trip, somone who is less self-assured may have run into a problem..

The plan is for our aircraft to fly at least 60 hrs a month. that is flight time, not hours away from base.

We are understaffed, and do not have enough crews to double each aircraft, it is somewhere like 1.3 crews per acft, and I *think* it just dropped to 1.0 per but not sure,( I will know for sure in August), that means. company wants to make money.. You are the only crew to make it happen.

The upside is the starting pay is just about double the starting pay at a regional. The equipment is very cool, the trips don't usually suck, and if you get over on the CMHs they will swap you out with a fresh crew and airline you home.

We also have a varity of aircraft so one could cross train into anything from a G-IIIto a Hawker and the Lears, and we may be getting a CJ1 soon too.

Grass is always greener, make no mistake about it, But as I have said time and time again, Until I find a job that pays me to sit in the beach, where topless 18year-old girls bring us cocktails, and I get paid for that... I'll keep flying.

And as soon as it sucks, BAD, I'll pull chocks and fall back on any number of 'reserve' careers that I am able to do.

then again the wednesday Powerball is like 300million$ so you may never see me on here again come thursday am..

[ QUOTE ]
Until I find a job that pays me to sit in the beach, where topless 18year-old girls bring us cocktails, and I get paid for that...

[/ QUOTE ]
I still say - Run for Congress.
grin.gif

Not at Comair? Hmmm, what is "the worlds most senior regional" that flies CRJs? Air Willy?

I am totally lost.

That's an incredible contract, 85 hrs! I wouldn't count on that in your next contract, with the way things have been going.

[ QUOTE ]
JT, you're such an uplifting guy. God I wish I was around you more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry. It can't all be good news you know.

I am as disappointed as anyone else at the conditions of pilot contracts. It's a crime the way airline CEOs capitalized on a national tragedy (9/11) to reduce pilot pay and work rules.

However, you can't shovel back the ocean with a plastic bucket. The tide comes in anyway!

If you didn't know, certain airlines hire expensive consultants just to figure out how to pay pilots less. It's one of the few variable costs they can affect. They already pay agents and rampers minimum wage and do a fake "part time" deal. What a crock that is! Five 6hr days a week and they are part time?

FAs and Mechanics are always getting jerked around, too.

Of course the industry is so competitive with low cost airlines like SWA, Airtran and jetBlue - what else can they do?

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry. It can't all be good news you know.

[/ QUOTE ]
I could not agree more. But, from you, it seems to NEVER be good news. It's almost like you can't WAIT to urinate on somebody's parade.

The guy said the has an 85 hour a month guarantee and what do you say? "Don't count on that on your next contract."

Why not "good for you! Man what a great contract!" and leave it the hell alone?

In another thread, a guy who has been flying for a regional for four years and recently upgraded to Captain said how much he loves his job and you questioned him about that.

So, you're jaded. Some are not. Get used to it.

As I said in one thread, and I'll say it again here - my response is:

If you dislike what you do so much that all you can do is complain about it and try to dissuade others from doing it - then, by all means, get out. Leave and make room for someone who WANTS to be there.

R2F

85 hours a month guarantee times 12 months = 1020 hours a year = impossible(illegal) to fly that much. Right there the company is already paying each pilot 20 hours of pay per year that they won't get any return from(work from the pilot). 20 hours a year times a bunch of pilots = alot. That's an awesome contract - hang on to that one as long as you can!!

Jason

I am not leaving. You will have to deal with that.

There are plenty of people in the world blowing sunshine up your butt in aviation, telling you how great it is, guaranteed a job, best career move you can make, etc. Seems they all profit from it, too.

I am not "jaded." You have no basis to make a judgement like that. Until you have been a regional airline captain you cannot understand my perspective.

I love flying and I love aviation. HOWEVER, I am sharing my mistakes with others so they can avoid making the same mistakes I did.

There are some of you who "urinate" on my posts. There are others who support them. Take that anyway you like.

Jason I was wondering about that, too. Can't see how an airline can guarantee 85 hrs a month. That's the highest I've heard except for training captains. Mesa paid training captains 96 hrs a month.

Indeed, we had a 1900 check airman/DE who made over $100k in one year due to training overrides. I believe he was worth every penny too! He was at ATA last I heard, I think in the B757.

[ QUOTE ]
I am not leaving. You will have to deal with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you're the one who has to "deal" with it if you're going to stay, John.

[ QUOTE ]
There are plenty of people in the world blowing sunshine up your butt in aviation, telling you how great it is, guaranteed a job, best career move you can make, etc. Seems they all profit from it, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Seems those folks completely missed my butt. Contrary to what YOU might belive John, there are also plenty of people on this very site that have done their research - have heard the pitfalls - have weighed the pros and cons - and STILL want to do this.

Present company included. That's something YOU need to deal with. For you to continually assume otherwise is quite frankly an insult.

[ QUOTE ]
I am not "jaded." You have no basis to make a judgement like that. Until you have been a regional airline captain you cannot understand my perspective.

[/ QUOTE ]
Quote:

Oh John. But, I do. These are your very words in the "Hiring Grads" thread over in the Mesa Forum:

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="red">I try to stay truthful and look at the bright side, but I've been jaded by airlines. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

So, my judment stands.

As for your "until you've been a regional captain..." song and dance - John, there is NO WAY for anybody to know what it's like until we experience it for ourselves. Maybe we'll have the same gripes - maybe we won't. But that's for us to find out.

[ QUOTE ]
I love flying and I love aviation.

[/ QUOTE ]
So maybe YOU shouldn't do it for a living.

[ QUOTE ]
HOWEVER, I am sharing my mistakes with others so they can avoid making the same mistakes I did.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are YOUR mistakes. YOUR experiences and it's YOU that is dealing with the outcome of your decisions. I'd wager to say that there are a ton of folks on this thread who won't make poor decisions and regret them (i.e., "I should have never left Mesa")... some of us will. Some of us won't.

But you know what, John, those will be our mistakes to make.

[ QUOTE ]
There are some of you who "urinate" on my posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

And will continue to do so as long as you continue to urinate on others.

It's not all gloom and doom. If it is - then you're an idiot for staying - and I don't think you're an idiot.

R2F

IMO, if people want a job with the regional airlines (for whatever reason), and they've weighed the pros and cons, and they still want to take the job, with the hard road it is; then they shouldn't complain too much about how bad it is at the regionals; if, like I said, they did all their homework prior to taking the plunge, so to speak.

We all make our choices.

Well if you don't think I'm an idiot you sure don't know how to state your opinion!

That was one of the most inflammatory posts I've seen to date. I feel like an idiot, a heel, a jerk, and a pompous ass all rolled in to one after listening to that! Why don't you tell me what you really feel???

Anyway I'll respond to some of your "statements:"

The jaded comment was in reference to MAPD I believe. Or the word jaded didn't mean to me what it means to you. I mostly was tired.

Regional airline flying is a classic "grass is greener" scenario. It looks great until you do it for three months.

If I could live where I was based and be sure the base wasn't going to close, it might be more fun. Commuting is very draining and very stressful. When I was hired at Mesa, Orlando was the largest base in the country. 2 1/2 years later it was closed. If I was happy being a vagabond hobo who lived from crashpad to crashpad I suppose I would enjoy it more.

The comraderie is probably the best thing about it. Most of the pilots share that feeling and you learn to avoid those that don't.

You misinterpret me when you say that I discourage everyone. If you are young and free and unattached and don't mind staying that way for a while, then commuter/regional airlines can be a blast. I highly suggest having a back up plan if it doesn't work though. Besides not liking it there is always the possibility of not making it through training. Attrition at some airlines is higher than others, but all have their occasional failures.

I am not at this time relying 100% on aviation for income, which allows me to enjoy it much more. It's much less stressful when you can say "no" and it won't cost your job.

If you can get in that situation then aviation is a great second income
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
If I was happy being a vagabond hobo who lived from crashpad to crashpad I suppose I would enjoy it more.

[/ QUOTE ]
When I flew cargo, I shared a crashpad with 2 Mesa pilots, 3 Ameriflight guys, and another guy from my company. 7 of us sharing a studio, but not all there necessarily at the same time.

Ahhh, those were the days.

Back