Regional Airline Pay Bites; Fly Crop Dusters For Big Bucks

Firebird2XC

Right 'chere, in the Wall Street Journal.

Flying Low Is Flying High As Demand for Crop-Dusters Soars

For Pilots Outstanding in the Field, Killing Weeds From the Air Can Pay Off

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125020758399330769.html

(Mods, yes, I know this is included in the pilot pay thread I started, but that was just to make a point. I figured this deserves a thread in its own right, if at the very least as a much-deserved 'Hurrah!' for our hard-working Ag Pilots.)

Re: Regional Airline Pay Bites; Fly Crop Dusters For Big Buc

Thanks for posting this Firebird! Good article.

Somehow I picture T-Cart being a little like Dusty Dowd.
Dang kids don't know how use a daggum rudder....un-frickin-coordinated....sleepin' in past 3 AM...grumble grumble

Somehow I picture T-Cart being a little like Dusty Dowd.
Dang kids don't know how use a daggum rudder....un-frickin-coordinated....sleepin' in past 3 AM...grumble grumble

;) :D

I don't blame the kid for walking on the 3 am first call.

It's harder than it sounds. I figured I left it behind when I ditched the military.

Not so, it would seem. I do, however, blame the kid for being water&vinegar applicator and not speaking his peace first.

But either way, here's to those that add all the necessary airborne touches to keep bugs from eating our chow before we get to munch on it. :beer:

Do you know the guy in the article T-cart?

That's a pretty good article, but this part caught my attention:

Like many young fliers, Mr. Peterson was on track to become an airline pilot. But airlines are struggling, canceling routes, cutting pay and laying off pilots. He inquired about a co-pilot job with a regional airline but lost interest after learning the starting pay was $22,000. "You could almost do that at 7-Eleven," he says.

Do you not have the internet? :)

Might be my summer job next year.

Might be my summer job next year.

Mine too.

I was talking to someone at the glider field (we have 3 spray ops temporarily based here) and said that they might be looking for some more pilot next season.

Im thinking dust during the week, tow on the weekends, and instruct back at SIU during school. :beer:

It still amazes me when people first start out in aviation, alot do not realize how low the starting pay can be.

I'd love to do ag flying, but it seems the only way in is to either have a family member doing that kind of work, or begging a company to let you load chemicals for 3 years before getting a flying slot.

Crazy thing is it actually sounds up my ally. I've taken a liking to herbicides and pesticides for my lawn, actually even considering taking the test at the state level. And I've always wanted to rebuild an engine...

However I think it's ironic they knock the pay for first year F/O's yet you have to work sans pay for 2-3 years in an "internship". Unpaid internships typically last a semester, maybe 3 months. By 2-3 years into a regional you're making mid-40's with half the month off.

I like how he's fueling it up with the engine runnin' and nobody in the plane. Also
The pilots often have to navigate using paper charts, something a lot of new students don't know how to do

Well where are they getting their training?!

Sensationalized piece.

Certainly don't need anymore of that now do we? Not with Pipers impacting peaceful helicopters over the Hudson.

The last sentence actually made me LOL

In the end he'll have to decide whether to settle for being a hack airplane driver or become a real pilot who never stops learning

Re: booming pilot jobs:

i enjoyed how the applicant focused on his instruments too much for an AG JOB! Seriously. which pilot mil do you think he spawned from?

Back