Reflections and Advice on the AT-SAT

I just took the test today in Baltimore, i feel really confident that I did good because im positive that I got all the math questions right except maybe 1, angles dials 100% letter factory about 3/4ths of the questions right never missed a letter, analogies ok, Atst I had a couple crashes I hope it doesn't effect my scroe too bad wish me luck! Hopefully I will find out 2moro my score!:cool:

Sounds like you did good. I think you'll be happy with your score.

I sure am hoping so, I just hate this waiting part but I am sure this is just the first couple days of many that I am going to be waiting for OKC.

Took the AT-SAT last Friday with a packed room and was surprised seeing a few other DWC kids there. Overall I felt as though I had done okay but just saw my score and I'm WQ with a 100.

Here are a couple pieces of advice.

Letter Factory - Don't worry about the game. You get plenty of practice and though you may mess up once or twice by not ordering boxes it's pretty easy to keep up with. Just figure out a way to remember the boxes on the conveyor belts. I pretty much guessed through the first 2/3 of the test and then I'd kind of talk to myself, repeating the colors of the boxes so that it would stick when the questions came up. I probably looked a bit stupid but it seemed to work a bit better.

ATC Scenario

First two are easy but I messed up the third one quite a bit. I practiced a lot on the Jeremy Justice version and I feel like that hurt me a bit due to the habits I formed.

Force yourself to keep planes 5 nm away from the edges of the screen and do not overfly the airports. As somebody else mentioned, you have to click a plane and give each instruction separately so force yourself to practice that way. Click, instruct, click instruct, so on. The last thing is that when you click on a plane you HAVE to give it an instruction. I was clicking on a plane and trying to switch to another but obviously that doesn't work. While playing the online one, practice by not clicking a plane until you know your going to make a move.

When I was leaving the test I felt I had done fairly well on everything except the letter factory questions and the third ATC scenario. The analogies weren't a lot of fun but less difficult than expected after all the horror stories you read here (of course who knows how I scored on those). I thought that those sections would have been enough for me to score low but apparently not.

Hopefully that makes sense!

Took the AT-SAT last Friday with a packed room and was surprised seeing a few other DWC kids there. Overall I felt as though I had done okay but just saw my score and I'm WQ with a 100.

Here are a couple pieces of advice.

Letter Factory - Don't worry about the game. You get plenty of practice and though you may mess up once or twice by not ordering boxes it's pretty easy to keep up with. Just figure out a way to remember the boxes on the conveyor belts. I pretty much guessed through the first 2/3 of the test and then I'd kind of talk to myself, repeating the colors of the boxes so that it would stick when the questions came up. I probably looked a bit stupid but it seemed to work a bit better.

ATC Scenario

First two are easy but I messed up the third one quite a bit. I practiced a lot on the Jeremy Justice version and I feel like that hurt me a bit due to the habits I formed.

Force yourself to keep planes 5 nm away from the edges of the screen and do not overfly the airports. As somebody else mentioned, you have to click a plane and give each instruction separately so force yourself to practice that way. Click, instruct, click instruct, so on. The last thing is that when you click on a plane you HAVE to give it an instruction. I was clicking on a plane and trying to switch to another but obviously that doesn't work. While playing the online one, practice by not clicking a plane until you know your going to make a move.

When I was leaving the test I felt I had done fairly well on everything except the letter factory questions and the third ATC scenario. The analogies weren't a lot of fun but less difficult than expected after all the horror stories you read here (of course who knows how I scored on those). I thought that those sections would have been enough for me to score low but apparently not.

Hopefully that makes sense!

that clicking a plane and not giving a command and trying to click another plane got me on mine a couple times....CONGRATS ON THAT 100 WQ!!!

Maybe someday we'll find somebody with some Flash experience to put together a Letter Factory game. Wouldn't be that complicated. Any takers? The wait's long...

I took the AT-SAT test last thursday on november 5th in Holtsville, NY. I didn't wanted to post my interpretation of the test until I got my score and since I found out today I got a 99.8 I feel a lot more comfortable talking about it.
I have to say I was really unsure of what I got on the test. I found the math easy. It wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be. I was afraid of having to multiply/divide numbers like 250mph and 2.38hrs in my head but the test keeps it along the lines of 250mph and 2.5 or 2.3. I think I probably got all of the math right.

On the ATC scenarios I actually crashed a few planes and had some procedural errors. I think my scores were 92, 90, 70 and 49.

In the Letter Factory I never let any letters fall nor did I ever forget to call Quality Control in time or order boxes in time. However several times I did click on a green box instead of an orange box by accident and I got the "You do not need any green boxes" sign. When it comes to the awareness questions... i don't know. I used a tip someone else mentioned which was to keep talking to yourself as you're moving boxes/letters. Also as I realized the kind of questions they asked I made sure to pay attention to certain things however there's no way to remember EVERYTHING. Sometimes it worked out that the questions were exactly what I was paying extra attention to and sometimes it didn't. Because of this there were times where I had to take an educated guess on all 4 questions and there were times where I definitely knew 2 or 3 answers.

I'm not sure how I did on the analogies. Often times I just tried to find something/anything to relate words. I found the visual analogies not too difficult. You just have to take a good look at it over and over before you make your selection.

All in all I didn't expect to get a 95+ with the errors I made and my ATC scenarios score. I'm really starting to wonder if they really do value your answers in the Experience section more heavily then we all thought as I've been reading and hearing that a lot recently. And for those that are wondering, I didn't just put "Definitely true" or "Definitely false" to everything I thought they wanted me too. I put more "More than likely trues" and "More than likely false" answers.

I have no idea how they score this test but I'm glad I was able to get above a 95 with all the rumors that they're looking at 95 and up scores first. Now I just have to hope that there will be some openings in NY or GA and pray I get an interview:D

I feel like I did about the same as you but I did more absolute trues and falses so we will see how much that comes into play.

Angles, dials, math, scan Aced

Analogies Okay

Letter Factory A couple errors with clicking the wrong box and maybe I got 3/4ths of the sit. awareness questions right.

ATST 90 80 75 58 something like that with like 3 crashes

Personality Absolute answers true or false (but that is kinda the way I am)

Score?? Still waiting................I hope it is WQ:confused:.................... Will let you know when it comes so we can compare to see if the personality wants your answers or mine or it doesn't matter.

I did not feel confident walking out of the test. It seems that most people feel that way and still do just fine. I was really bummed out thinking I need to choose a different career path when I walked out of there, then I talked to some other ATC trainees and they all said they felt the exact same, then I came on here and did some reading and felt better. (I had not been on here or stuckmic before the test). I did not do any practicing for the test at all, had no idea what to expect.

Angles, Math, and Dials I would be surprised if I got a single one wrong, that stuff is cake for me.

Scan - Felt mediocre about that. The thing that kept on bothering me was the keyboards they use had the DELETE key in a place that I've never seen before, and Backspace does not work. So quite often if I mistyped a number I would go for the backspace key and find it not working to delete the number, and then go for the delete key and find that it wasn't where I expected it to be. When you are being graded on your quickness and accuracy, these to things are bothersome (at least they were for me). A little more practice would have been beneficial.

Letter Factory - Despite the directions I still felt like I did a bit of learning on the fly in letter factory. I got in a pretty good rhythm of placing boxes and ordering boxes, though I do remember once that I forgot to order a box and the game ordered it for me, and I had one single letter fall off the conveyor belt when I got behind. I hit the 'order boxes' button once I think when I didn't need to order boxes, and a big red sign pops up saying not to do that (supposedly it penalizes you for this). Also probably grabbed 1 or 2 letters and put them in a "less full" box which you are supposedly penalized for. The situational awareness questions were a disaster I felt... every time they came up 3 of my 4 answers were a complete and utter guess, even though I was actively trying to pay attention to what letters were coming down, what color boxes had what letters in them, etc. It was total guesswork. Maybe 1 out of 4 I had a somewhat sort-of educated guess on, but for the most of it was complete random guessing. Did not feel good about that.

ATC Scenario - this is the section I felt could have been the most helpful to have a good simulator to play at home on (I read now that there are some available). I felt like I spent a little bit of time "learning by messing up" even though I read the directions thoroughly. I did not feel good when I finished the scenarios. Out of the 4 rounds of play, I crashed probably 8-10 planes, three quarters of these were in one single session (session 2 of 4). A couple mid-airs (two that I can recall specifically) and a couple hitting the outside walls because I vectored them and then got preoccupied with another plane. I had a lot of planes go flying in to the airports at M or F speed, so those I don't think count as "reached their destination" which hurts your score I believe. As best I can remember my efficiency scores were something like 54, 44 (the one I crashed all those planes on), 65, and 82. I did not feel at all confident about this area of the test. I felt horrible about having crashed planes and figured I was screwed as far as my score was concerned.

Analogies - I felt that this section was disastrous. The 'word meaning' analogies are cake, but the other types, "vowel sounds" and "letter combinations" where you have to look at how the letters are organized in the word and then relate that to how the others are organized in the word, I felt really bad about most of those. The graphical analogies were WAY more complicated than I figured they'd be. With regards to time, I started running out of time with the analogies. I had to answer the last 6 or 8 of them with almost complete guesswork in the last 2 minutes allowed. I would suspect that I got most of those wrong because they were literally only given about 10 seconds of consideration (and like I said, they are pretty complicated if you ask me) and then I just chose an answer. I did answer all questions, but how many I got correct I'm scared to hypothesize.

Psych questions - I basically answered every one with whatever my 'first instinct' was. You can go back and forth about what you "think" they want you to say, etc, but with 135 questions, if you're faking it they will probably find out, so I just answered honestly and with my first instinct. Most of my answers ended up being "somewhat agree" or "somewhat disagree" because a lot of those questions are hard to answer in black and white.

For instance one of the questions was "have you ever been mean to someone" or something like that. Well of course I have, but I'm not a mean person so I just went with "somewhat agree." Frustrating section.

Anyways, with all my lamenting and figuring I did horribly, I ended up with a 94.

11/13/2009 02:47:28 PM (Central Time): An AT-SAT score of 70 or above is necessary for passing. Your score was 99.1. Eligible applicants are categorized as "well qualified" or "qualified" based on AT-SAT scores.:beer: Im really satisfied with my score and I am guessing the faa likes the absolute answers on the personality test or personality doesn't matter. Good luck to the rest of you taking your test for pubnat 8.

somebody tell me how you make a lower score on the scenarios section with no crashes because you took longer lol? i guess they don't care if you kill people as long as you are expeditious. i had zero crashes in all of my scenarios, but my scores were around 70-80 where as, i am reading about people with several crashes(due to cutting corners in order to be quicker) and have a higher percentage? anybody?

somebody tell me how you make a lower score on the scenarios section with no crashes because you took longer lol? i guess they don't care if you kill people as long as you are expeditious. i had zero crashes in all of my scenarios, but my scores were around 70-80 where as, i am reading about people with several crashes(due to cutting corners in order to be quicker) and have a higher percentage? anybody?

Believe me I didn't think it made sense either. My lowest score was like a 36 and I crashed a couple of planes my highest was a 76 I think but I crashed like 5 to 7 planes. But I got the rest where they needed to be faster..... :D

Thanks to all of the above posters for the help I got before the exam. After taking it, some thoughts....

Angles Scan and Dials....pretty straight forward.

Math...I'm a math guy, and I'm very comfortable doing mental math. Also, I spent some time as an airline pilot and the types of calculations asked on the test were very similar to the ones we would do in the cockpit. I'm pretty sure I got all of them correct.

Analogies...ridiculously hard. The instructions actually taught me more than the green book, but I still had to guess on about a third of them.

AT Scenarios....I used the green book CD (after the update), and it was a huge help for two reasons. First, the software usually allowed more than 6 planes at a time, sometimes more than that. On the test, I had more than 5 at a time once. Second, because the refresh rate was so fast on the software, could only get one assignment to one airplane before the screen advanced/refreshed. On the actual test, I found myself giving out 2 and sometimes 3 different assignments between each refresh. Also, because everything was slowed down so much, it was much easier to keep track of everything on the actual test. I didn't have any crashes, but I did have about 8 or 10 safety/procedural errors for all of the scenarios. My scores for the scenarios were 89, 89, 99, and 100. My guess is that efficiency is determined by the number of assignments you give per plane (and how fast they get to the destination), and errors and crashes factor into the final score for the section.

Letter Factory...I took the advice of an earlier poster and didn't prepare. As long as you read the instructions carefully, you shouldn't have any problem with it.

My final score ended up being a 99.2, so I definitely agree with the speculation that math is very heavily weighted.

Good luck to everyone.

I have no idea how they score this test but I'm glad I was able to get above a 95 with all the rumors that they're looking at 95 and up scores first. Now I just have to hope that there will be some openings in NY or GA and pray I get an interview:D

I have a friend that works in New York TRACON, and he says that they're working 6 day workweeks in an on/off type schedule due to the fact that they're operating at 38% capacity. The bad news is, is that if you get a job there, you will never be able to transfer.

I have a friend that works in New York TRACON, and he says that they're working 6 day workweeks in an on/off type schedule due to the fact that they're operating at 38% capacity. The bad news is, is that if you get a job there, you will never be able to transfer.

6 day work weeks suck but hey, I'll take the overtime pay.
Does your friend have any idea if they're hiring though? Since they're at 38% capacity does that mean they're looking to bring in some trainees or are they content with just over working everyone?
I find that I hardly hear anyone on this site looking to go to NY. Hopefully that means it'll be easier for me to get in.;)

Fun line from their website: "Test takers with a score over 85 are considered exceptionally qualified." If by "exceptionally qualified" they mean "a dime a dozen", yes, absolutely.

Also, "AT-SAT test may be retaken within one year after first screening regardless of score." Nope.

Anyway, looks like they have a practice for the Letter Factory, which might be nice. The other parts look very similar to what I recall from the original... looks like someone put some serious work into the program.

Been dragging my heels on checking it out. I've got the software downloaded, just haven't made time yet. I'll probably take a shot sometime next week... will post up my own impressions somewhere in the ATC forum afterwards.

Back