Red Terminating Bars

xdashdriver

What exactly are the Red Terminating Bars that are needed to descend below 100 ft above TDZE (when none of the other visual references are acquired)?

I have been looking at diagrams of the various Approach Lighting Systems, and only 2 seem to have any red lights in them at all, the ALSF-I and ALSF-II.

Does this mean that unless you're using one of those ALS that you cannot descend below DH until you have one of the other visual references in sight...or am I missing something here?

Ray

No, you're not missing anything. The ALSF-I and ALSF-II approach light systems are the ones that feature either red terminating bars or red side row bars. These approach light systems are usually installed on Cat II and Cat III ILS runways.

However, you're a little confused on the "descent below MDA" rules. If you have any approach lights in sight, you may continue the descent below MDA/DH, but only to one hundred feet above TDZE. You may not go below 100' without the "runway environment" in sight UNLESS you see the red terminating or side row bars. You may follow those all the way to touchdown.

As an example, I'll use an approach we did yesterday ... the ILS 6 at Erie, PA. The minimums were 250' DH and 3/4 mile visibility. We broke out higher, but let's say right at 250' I see the "rabbit" ... the sequenced flasher, and nothing else. I can keep going down another 150' ... to 100' above TDZE. If I still see only approach lights, I have to miss ... since this runway doesn't have the red bars. But, if by the time I hit 100', I see the runway lights, I can continue and land.

Clear as mud, right?

FL270

[ QUOTE ]
What exactly are the Red Terminating Bars that are needed to descend below 100 ft above TDZE (when none of the other visual references are acquired)?

I have been looking at diagrams of the various Approach Lighting Systems, and only 2 seem to have any red lights in them at all, the ALSF-I and ALSF-II.

Does this mean that unless you're using one of those ALS that you cannot descend below DH until you have one of the other visual references in sight...or am I missing something here?

Ray

[/ QUOTE ]

Red terminating bars/Red side bars:

ALSF-1: The last set of crossbars located just prior to the green threshold lights.

ALSF-2: A single crossbar set located either side of the centerline of the ALS at the 1000' from the threshold point. Looking from the approach section of the runway, these terminating bars appear as the first "row" (side to side) of the two "columns" that flank the main center column, of the last 1000' of ALS to the runway threshold.

SALS/SALSF (A-2): Red terminating bars in same position as ASLF-1 since SALS is simply the "top half" of an ALSF-1.

NATO Standard (BN): Red terminating bars are two parallel columns, each 1000' long beginning from the runway threshold; left column has two lights per row, right column has single lights per row.

Center and Double Row (BQ): A singular row of red lights 1000' from runway threshold.

Two parallel row (circle E) and Air Force Overrun (circle I): Each has two parallel columns of red lights 2400' and 1000' in length, respectively. Primarily used to mark overruns, but can be used as ALS, and are noted on IAP diagrams.

There's numerous others without the red terminating bars such as:

MALS (A4)
MALSR (A5)
SSLAR (A3)
Overrun centerline (AF)
centerline and bar (AI)
Navy parallel row and crossbar (circle D)
Left single row (circle BG)
Former NATO standard (circle BN)
Calvert (circle J)
narrow multi-cross (circle N)
etc

[ QUOTE ]
No, you're not missing anything. The ALSF-I and ALSF-II approach light systems are the ones that feature either red terminating bars or red side row bars. These approach light systems are usually installed on Cat II and Cat III ILS runways.

However, you're a little confused on the "descent below MDA" rules. If you have any approach lights in sight, you may continue the descent below MDA/DH, but only to one hundred feet above TDZE. You may not go below 100' without the "runway environment" in sight UNLESS you see the red terminating or side row bars. You may follow those all the way to touchdown.

As an example, I'll use an approach we did yesterday ... the ILS 6 at Erie, PA. The minimums were 250' DH and 3/4 mile visibility. We broke out higher, but let's say right at 250' I see the "rabbit" ... the sequenced flasher, and nothing else. I can keep going down another 150' ... to 100' above TDZE. If I still see only approach lights, I have to miss ... since this runway doesn't have the red bars. But, if by the time I hit 100', I see the runway lights, I can continue and land.

Clear as mud, right?

FL270

[/ QUOTE ]

I got it, crystal clear. Thanks!!

I just keep flying till my copilot lets out a ghostly gasp then I flare, works every time.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I just keep flying till my copilot lets out a ghostly gasp then I flare, works every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic!

Surf

[ QUOTE ]
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Jim, I didn't realize we'd flown together before!!

Russ

Back