Red Bull Air Race-NYC (DUW!!)

Mark815

So the GF and I spent Sunday in NJ watching the Red Bull Air Race. These guy's are just amazing pilots, and even that's an understatement...

Started off with the pre-race ceremonies...
54466.jpg

During the National Anthem
54490.jpg

Coast Guard came in to do a demo..
54459.jpg

54461.jpg

54458.jpg

Then the Red Bull chopper demo, amazing to see a helicopter go upside down..
54484.jpg

Ok and finally on to the races!!
54422.jpg

54419.jpg

54429.jpg

54428.jpg

54427.jpg

54435.jpg

54440.jpg

54454.jpg

54450.jpg

54462.jpg

Great pictures! I was out on the Hudson in a boat..
Was trying to take pictures but the waves were rocking so bad it was hard to get any good ones.

Nick

Great shots! Interesting to see a different perspective... I was in the Racing Club by the ferry docks and never really had the angle to get any shots with downtown in the background.... I'll post a few of mine in the next few days once I get home.

You have some amazing pictures of the race. In my opinion, the best views were from Ellis Island. You were close to the action plus you had the added value of touring the museum all for the $12.50 ferry ticket.

Great pictures! I was out on the Hudson in a boat..
Was trying to take pictures but the waves were rocking so bad it was hard to get any good ones.

Nick

Was there an area block off where boats were not allowed to enter?

Was there an area block off where boats were not allowed to enter?

Yes, there was an area blocked off to leisure traffic enforced by the Coast Guard and Harbor Police. The location where most of the spectator craft were located was not that great to view the race unfortunately. I am glad I was on land

Awesome pictures!! I flew up for the weekend and I'm sure glad I went; it was amazing. Hopefully they will come to NY again next year.:rawk:

Awesome pics! I'm still trying to get to one of those! Tried to go to the Detroit one, but the weather prevented us from going.

Very cool. Not a VW fan but that is a cool lookin logo on the bottom of the one plane. Nice pics. What were you shooting with? I wish the races would come back to San Diego

Thanks for the comments guys. I was shooting with a Canon Rebel XT, using a 75-300MM lens. It was a great time and like I said, amazing to see these aircraft flying around at nearly 200kts 50ft off the water. The only thing that ruined it was the people behind me with their comments like, ' this is kinda sweet but wouldn't it be cool to see a crash 'like nascar', and that 'eh thats pretty cool but they just go around in circles, same thing over and over again'. Oh and I also heard, 'oh this is like an actual race? Not just for show?' and 'Apparently this is like a real big deal overseas, they actually do this for a championship' :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I know the camera helicopter pilot, he was one of the pilots at my base when I was in the Air Force in Switzerland.

Those pictures are great thanks for sharing Mark. You even have our sail boat captured. We departed Port Liberte and were cruising along Iron Curtain made of CG, NYC and park police boats. It was a wonderful show but seas were rough as Tworotor7 said:D.

leavingthehouse2.jpg

redbull123.jpg

DSC_0146.jpg

Great pictures, I was in the park on Sunday. Last month I flew with Nigel Lamb (the Breitling pilot) in our Arrow; he needed a US Comm SEL license in order to race in NY (he only had US Comm MEL and JAA ATPL). My signature is in his logbook, kinda cool; and needless to say the guy can stick an airplane around.

Back