recertification....

Kristie

Mama Bear....
Staff member
What all do you have to do to get recertified after your license expires? are there companies out there that will pay to get you recertified??

Cousin wants to get back into A&P working on airplanes.. he's been working on unmanned planes till now...but his certification expired...Uncle says it's about $1300 to do it but i'm wondering if there are any companies that would pay for that and if there are any hiring??

Kristie...

The A&P license doesn't expire once you get it--the only way you lose certification is to have your license suspended or revoked by the FAA. You can get your license and never again touch an airplane, but stil be licensed A&P.

Pac Man

As Pacman said, the license never expires. There is a recency of experience clause though. To be able to excersize the privledges of their A&P, the mechanic must have worked(not neccessarily paid) as a mechanic for six months out of the past two years. There are several ways around that in FAR part 65.

Kristie...

The A&P license doesn't expire once you get it--the only way you lose certification is to have your license suspended or revoked by the FAA. You can get your license and never again touch an airplane, but stil be licensed A&P.

Pac Man
No kidding?? My uncle said that my cousin said his certification had expired and he would need to recertify... is there an A&P license where certification can expire or is it all the same mechanical licensure?

I was thinking that if he'd been working as a mechanic at all, that would still be considered A&P work no matter if it carries pax, freight or nothing...

I just have no knowledge about A&P at all, so what would I know...haha

so, if he's been working unmanned planes, how would he go about switching to FBO/single engine A&P or even airline/freight A&P with the experience he has? he's told us in the past that it's very hard to switch as everyone (companies) want to see "airplane" experience?? is it really a difficult field to get into if you haven't been in that particular *sector* of mechanic work?

the other thing i'm wondering is which venue can you get to a decent salary on? right now, from what i understand.. he's getting paid peanuts and i don't know if i should recommend he go the FBO route or higher up....which is more lucrative? or is it based on seniority/experience like pilot jobs?

The only mechanic certificate that expires is a repairman's certificate. He would get it from his employer and it expires when he leaves the employer.

The only way for an A&P to expire is for it to be surrendered, suspended, or revoked by the FAA. He would basicly have had to screwed up big time with the FAA for that to happen.

FBO's are tricky. Some pay well, some start mechanic's out at only $7 or $8 an hour. Regional, Cargo(UPS and FedEx), and LCC airlines are comming up in pay and Major/Nationals are comming down. My airline hires at $15.03/hr and tops out just over $26/hr after 12 years. Horizon starts out at $15/hr and tops out around $26/hr in 9 years. Both have all the benefits and travel privledges that pilots have(Horizon mechanics are also allowed to jumpseat on Horizon flights).

Skywest is non union and starts out at $16/hr in Chicago, but the wages at each base are different. They of course are also non union like the pilot group. Wages there do not go up on a yearly basis like a union shop, but go up as your level of expertise goes up. From what I understand you have 18 months at each level before your expected to go up.

Mesa has also increased their wages, but are still not great for mechanics along with Comair.

I will PM you with some additional information.

While the A&P licence does not expire the IA (inspection authorization) does. You can work as an A&P without an IA but the pay and job opportunities can be far better with the IA, it depends on if the place you work needs things signed of by an IA. Many corporate flight departments need an IA, larger corporate flight departments may have repair station certificates and thus not need any IA's on staff.

--Stone Age

Kristie,

Just to add some information since I'm in a similar situation. I had obtained my A&P back in 86 and used it immediately after that for about 10 years. I got out of the industry from 96 until now and was prospecting the aviation industry for mechanic jobs. I was totally suprised to find out that the mechanics pay for entry level is dismal especially considering my recent interview with American Eagle and conversations with Horizon and Skywest HR people. Its hard to get back into an industry that pays 15 and change and the only shifts offered were 4/10 hours days working graveyard at all three places. Its obvious the unions have done very little to preserve decent wages over the years. Back in the old days graveyard was an advantage since you worked 6 hours and got paid for 8 and you were paid time and half.(McDonnell Douglas)

I have worked general aviation and know that pay is low and benefits small since most places are ma and pa shops. That kinda of a job is really for the love of the job itself. The 'major airlines' have typically paid the most but require recent experience with a valid A&P. I've just applied to Fedex based out of TN and Continental and will see if they have any offers.

Regarding the license question/s I would call/visit the local FAA office. The link here is a good place to start. http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/contact_airmen_certification/

I hope this information helps.

Doug :)

The regionals pay crap because they had an influx of furloughed mechs from the majors. We still get guys from Delta. They'll be here till they get called back. When and if all the furloghed guys go back to their old jobs if they choose to do so, will leave big gaps in the manning. The regionals will have to raise wages to attract new mechs. I have my airframe but don't really use it. I tinker over at the hangar when I feel like getting my hands dirty or want to see mx on a specific item.

Yeah my brother made like 27 bucks an hour starting at FedEx. It's the regionals that pay crap.

Back