Really Need Advice

And I really appreciate all the help guys. Honestly it means a lot to me. I don't really have a lot of friends or family that understand where I'm coming from regarding aviation, but I knew of one place that would.

Lots of good advice here. The only things I'll add that haven't already been said:

1. You sound prime for corporate flying as you already said. Corporate flying "generally" falls under Part 91, 91 sub K, Part 125 and Part 135 of the regulations and is "generally" unscheduled. These guys can enjoy a good life with 20 days off per month but live and die by their cell phones. You don't get called much, but when you do it could be mid-day, 2AM, XMAS eve whenever. When the phone rings you have to pick up or return the call ASAP.

2. Most decent corporate jobs like experience as any airline job, but they're not restricted by the 1500 hr requirement like airline gigs. Its not uncommon in the corporate world to hire on personality over experience. Insurance may require 2000tt or 500 jet depending upon who your flying for but not always. Often times though the guy that is the right "fit" over the one that's super experienced. Many of said jobs come from internal recommendations and knowing the right people.

3. Re-evaluate where you live. I didn't see where your from? Reason being is some parts of the country are dead in charter flying and corporate aviation, other places are ripe with opportunities. Places like SoCal, South Florida, the NYC metro area, Southern and Eastern TX are great places to network as your building your experience. Idaho, Iowa, and Western South Dakota? meh. I understand you don't want to leave family either, but just saying.

4. Lastly, get a college degree in something somewhat related too, but different than aviation. Think accounting, business, finance etc. Serves as a great backup, and you can make good money in those fields while building your flight experience.

Good Luck!

I'm in West TN. Right in the middle of Memphis & Nashville. The school I go to is just south of Nashville in Smyrna at MQY.

Ok heres my deal. I would have stayed quiet if you didn't mention marrying your girlfriend.
I started flight training when I was 17, got my commercial license and my first flying job at age 18 in a Baron. I moved up within the company and became captain for 2 turboprop aircrafts and held other important roles in the flight department. Those movements required lots of relocation. At age 22, I had the perfect corporate job until my department closed down and I had to commute cross-country for a regional airline. Along the process, my high school sweetheart became my ex.
So here is my question, can you handle that possibility? If yes, this is the career for you.
Can you handle being away from family at thanksgiving, and xmas, year after year, missing birthdays, weddings and graduations? Your love for aviation has to be greater than that.
Can you leave your 1 year old to do a trip that will keep you on the road for a month, come back home for a day and go back out for a month?
Corporate is very hard to get into without a type rating and time-in-type, you will have to move around the country. Finding a GOOD corporate job with enough time off and close to your family will be like hitting the lottery.
I am not trying to be discouraging but this is the harsh reality. Yes, you will get to experience amazing things in this career, but, is it worth the sacrifice to you. Some pilots that have kept their marriage together till the day they retired, while others are on their 4th alimony.

I'm in West TN. Right in the middle of Memphis & Nashville. The school I go to is just south of Nashville in Smyrna at MQY.

I lived in Murfreesboro for about 2 years and commuted out of BNA briefly. There are some decent places to fly out of around there. MTSU has a big aviation program. The fishing around there is awesome as well. ;) That was my favorite part about living out there.

Last edited:
desertdog71 said:
Why the urgency? You're 22.
I'm 22.... Kinda glad I started the flying thing early. It's much easier dealing with being poor when that's all your used to. Now it's nice getting away from that.

First of all, you have lots of time. Derg hit a very important point. You must have perseverance. Also, see the big picture. You also have to enjoy the ride. Have fun flying for the crappy regional if that where this journey takes you. I put up with no money and commuted for six years. It was very tough at times. I'm at a legacy making good money and worked 7 days in August. I never thought I'd get here. Everyone does if they put in the effort like derg stated. By the way I flew for a crappy regional out of MQY.
My father always used to say:
"Pay now and play later or play now and pay later."

If you really love aviation then its not even a choice. Go after it like your life depends on it. If that's not you, then hang around the FBO, fly when you can and do something else.

Haha for sure. I'm all about some golf, motocross & anything regarding the University of Tennessee.
I like golf, I hate the fact that I'm not good at it. Nothing wrong with a day walking around a well manicured park beating a small ball into submission while consuming copious amounts of beer.

If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way to make it happen. I'm 37, I have a full time job at a big southern based airline, I'm working on finishing my degree, and I work on finishing up my flight training... when I have the time and funds to do so. I want to fly for a career. I've sat a desk long enough!

^^^This is also me after 8 years in the military. My only advantage, GI Bill pays for the flight training. And I don't know any of my regional buddies being on food stamps.

Alright guys, this will probably be a little long so I apologize in advance.

I'm 22 years old with a high school diploma, 50 hours & a PPL. The closest flight school to me is about 2.5 hours away and I planned on starting the rest of my ratings in September & even signed a lease to an apartment back in January.

I've always been a homebody..I love being around my family. I also have a serious girlfriend of 5 years, & she's already graduated college while I'm sitting here trying to figure out what to do with my life. We'll be getting ready to settle down here in the next few years & start a family. I have a job landscaping that usually runs from March through November of most years so I at least have an income.

Being on the road away from your girlfriend will be tough but there are ways to make that time easier. What will be even tougher is if it doesn't work out some where down the road and you sacrificed your flying career. My point is figure out a way to work on both.

In your situation, unless you know someone at a local charter or corporate department, you might have to be willing to make some short term sacrifices. But I think that once you have some turbine experience, or meet 135 mins there may be some opportunities for you to find a job that allows you to live at home or close too it. But virtually all jobs, with the exception of instructing, and fed-ex feeder routes are going to require some time away from home (If I'm not mistaking a lot of flight departments ie. TMC, GAMA, XO, have 2 weeks on, 2 off or 7 on 7 off or stuff like that, but will also airline you in for work from where you live, or the closest major airport. ).

I know for me once I got some SIC turbine time, I started getting more calls for interviews. Your first big hurdle, again unless you know somebody, is building time, whether it be 1200 for 135 or 1500 for 121. If you are willing to go to FL, AZ, or CA, or anywhere that has a big flight academy, you can build it in just over a year. At that point you could spend another year building turbine time either at the airlines or a feeder. At that point, your resume will look a little more attractive and you can start working on getting closer to home.

Finally, I'm like you, in that I Iike being around my family, we can't wait to get back to MI. Having done the regional thing, if you find one where you can live in base, or have a short one leg commute, it's not so bad. Just keep your commute as short as possible(or non-existent preferably) and keep your finances under control for that first year. When on a trip, things like facetime, phone calls and facebook, help me stay close to my family. Once your home, don't even think about flying and make sure you spend quality time with your family.

Of course, stay away from the DUI, it will limit most of those corporate jobs.

Alright guys, this will probably be a little long so I apologize in advance.

I'm 22 years old with a high school diploma, 50 hours & a PPL. The closest flight school to me is about 2.5 hours away and I planned on starting the rest of my ratings in September & even signed a lease to an apartment back in January.

I've always been a homebody..I love being around my family. I also have a serious girlfriend of 5 years, & she's already graduated college while I'm sitting here trying to figure out what to do with my life. We'll be getting ready to settle down here in the next few years & start a family. I have a job landscaping that usually runs from March through November of most years so I at least have an income.

Lately I've really been questioning whether or not I want to make the sacrifices it takes to become a professional pilot. Being away from home & family, not making any kind of money, etc. The airlines have never appealed to me, the schedule, the starting pay, and just the overall lifestyle..I'm sure most pilots don't say "hey I want to fly for so & so and make 20K a year, living on food stamps". I've always wanted to fly corporate, charter or something along those lines where you're home more. If I knew I could land a flying job somewhere close to home, I'd do it in a heartbeat and this wouldn't even be a question. But obviously nothing like that is promised in life.

I know one thing & that is I am passionate about airplanes. I absolutely love airplanes & everything about them. I feel like a little kid when I'm at an airport or see random planes flying around in this small town. I haven't found anything else in life that I'd rather be doing besides being around airplanes in some sort of way. So I'm torn..do I want to give up on a dream that I've had & settle for a job doing something I don't love, and only fly for fun on the side or suck it up, finish my ratings & eventually move away from my family even though I know I'd hate it? That's where I'm torn..I know nothing will interest me as much as aviation. I feel like it's too late to go back to college & get a degree so I kinda feel forced to finish out my training.

Sorry if this ran on too long..hopefully it made sense. Any advice would be appreciated..I know I'm not the first person to struggle with this.

You said "any advice" so here's mine.

First off, forget flying for the time being. If you want to have success as a commercial pilot, you need to get a 4-year degree. You can't rise to the top without it. In the meantime, if you simply have to be around airplanes, then pick a college in a large city where they have an airline hub or a lot of FBO's and, go to work as a ramper, agent, lineman, whatever, while you go to school. This hopefully will keep your airplane lust in check while you get your degree. It will also help you start to learn about the aviation business.

Secondly, you need to consider your girlfriend and your relationship. It's one thing to be high school sweethearts, but quite another to be adults in a serious committed relationship. There is likely going to come a time when she is going to want more than you can offer her. She's gone to college; she's grown as an adult. Her worldview is expanding. If you don't do the same, you will likely find yourselves growing further and further apart. Also,if you want a long term future with her you need to show her that you can provide what she wants. If she is like most women, she'll eventually want a home, a family, and a stable life. A part time job as as landscaper is not going to do that.

Side note: The purpose of dating, in my opinion, is to find a suitable life mate; so the first step is to become one yourself. To each his own.

And finally, allow yourself to explore options besides aviation. You don't have the life experiences to know what's out there. I was the same way at 22. Now in my mid-40's, I see all sorts of things that I wish I had explored when I was younger.

There you have it: my advice. Worth every penny you paid for it.

Aren't you in Murfreesboro? Go to MTSU. It's a collegiate program, right up there with the best in the country and you can get in state tuition.

Back