Realistic Timetable

Donald: That is an ongoing debate on this site. To buy time or not to buy time.

I don't have the answer. BUT, I think it comes down - (again, also a recurring theme) - to what works best for you! Nobody has all the answers. Just because the guy is where you want to be, he has his own opinions which may or may not work for you.

Clear as mud? /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

I know, the debate ensues. I don't know that there is an answer but the main deterant to buying time seems to have been that people look down on it. But is seems to me that if that is the only reason, and you can afford it (probably the greater limiting factor) why wouldn't you???

I think my thing is that I know I'm going to be poor for a while when I start flying and getting paid for it. So, I really want to make sure I do two things -- save up some money, and make sure I really want it.

I figure it will take me two more years to get to the point where I can get a commercial going the FBO route. By then, I'll know if I really want it bad, and I'll have had two years to save up money to cover me for the lean years where I'm making $12K.

However, I am the newest hire in a company that's not making its revenue projections, despite my best efforts to help them do that. And I know how the game is played. If they decide to ditch some staff, I'll be the first one gone. If that happens, you can count on me taking out a student loan, going to Norman, OK, and coming back with all the ratings six months later.

Yet another of the 33 year old club...okay, so I had my 34th birthday a few weeks ago.

Here is a breakdown of how I went from 0 time to a CFI/CFII/MEI with 350 total hours, 225 multi hours and 75 hours of dual-multi given in one year's time.

I started my flight training last June. After languishing at a FBO (broken planes, scheduling hassles), I finished my PPL in December. Wanting to accelerate the pace of my learning, I enrolled in ATP's Career Pilot Program and began my training there at the end of January. I graduated from the program at the end of March with my multi-commercial, CFI, CFII and MEI ratings. I was hired as a multi engine flight instructor at ATP 7 days later.

It is possible for those who leap without looking back...

I just got back from a trip down to Austin, TX for work. One of the things I did when I was down there was check out one of the FBOs down there. I walk in, and there's a real hanger, there's 18 planes, including a couple of multi-engine planes, and the other FBOs have jets. It blew my mind, because the FBOs I have been to around here just don't have that.

Anyway, so one of the things I did was pick up some information about their commerical training. It looks like for around $15K and two months I can come out of there with the commercial rating and the instructor ratings -- not sure if I'd have a multi-instructor rating or not from the literature but I'd be sure to push for that.

So, if I get laid off, I know what I'm doing. I'm going to be heading on down there, getting my ratings, and then coming back and teaching, flying traffic watch, and so on until I build up time and so on.

And then? Well, given my age, I'll be happy if I end up flying for a regional somewhere. SkyWest looks cool. I could be very happy living in San Diego, flying between there and Santa Barbara, LA, Ontairo, Palm Springs, and so on and likely getting back home most nights!

The FBO is called Pilot's Choice. They are up in Georgetown. The quoted rate is $17K but they also included around $2K worth of stuff in there that I have already done, so I did a little discounting.

Their website is http://www.pilotschoicetx.com/

Now, keep in mind that if you come out of there, you'll have 155 hours so you will have to do some serious time building before anyone looks at you for more than instructing and traffic watch flying.

That sounds a little strange......I not sure you can qualify for a commercial rating with only 155 hours. The 61 regs. is 250 hours, 141 regs. are less but I doubt their TCO allows them to chop 95 hours off that total.......

Part 141 allows for commercial in 190 hours (35 private + 35 inst + 120 comm).

I think tony was only talking about the commercial+ certificates, so, if you already have your private (40) and instrument (50+40) under part 61, you'll have at least 130 hours going in.

1900pilot,

Do you have anything to contribute to this website other than to be a walking advertisement for Gulfstream Training Academy and the word SPAM?!? Is that all you've got to say?

Hey Doug...how about banning this idiot, or at least, charge him and his company for all the free advertisement!

Back