Real-world costs

TrinidadGT20

Vice President of Awesome
The ERAU website lists the "average" yearly (i.e. two semesters) cost of housing, books, tuition, and flight training at approx $31,000. Are there any current students willing to comment on this? Is it fairly accurate?
Thanks in advance!

I have heard from someone else that ERAU costs a ton. Like in the end it would cost you in the neighborhood of $100,000+. It really stinks but i've heard that it is worth it.

Embry-Riddle is expensive. My costs for Tuition and Room & Board were $20,850 for the year. My books average between $500-600 per semester. Flight training is also very expensive. You pay per hour. Single Engine is running at about $110 wet w/o instructor. Single Engine Complex at about $125 an hour. Multi-engine at about $180 per hour. Instructors are about $30 an hour. So, its VERY expensive. However, you are in brand new planes with the latest avionics. You have some of the best flight instructors teaching you. They are determined to train you quickly and effectively. As a part 141 school, they can get you through your ratings a lot quicker than a local part 61 school can. In the end, the flight training costs could end up being only slightly higher.

Also, as a student at Daytona, who has taken out personal loans to pay for everything myself, I have NO regrets in coming here. Their flight training department is back on track and almost every student is starting training from day one of classes. The education is excellent and the facilities are some of the best in the country.

So, for your estimate....I estimated about $32,000 for my education per year. Thats considering that I am starting with a PPL already.

It all depends on the number of hours of flight training that you get in one year. Average students graduate with between 250 and 300 hours. The majority of it being taken care of in the single engine planes (simple and complex).

Sorry, that's the best I can do. Its different for everyone...and its a good idea to have some cushion in your finances to accomodate how quickly you learn. If you finish your PPL quickly, they will move you into instrument training immediately. If you don't have the funds, they will ground you, and you might have to wait until the next semester to get another chance. SO WHATEVER YOU DO........DON'T LET THAT HAPPEN! The sooner you get your Instructor's Certificate, the sooner you start building those hours, while someone is paying YOU to do it!
smile.gif

Back