Ready to be a CFI?

KOAK Flyer

Hey everyone,

I am getting ready to take my CFI checkride here in the next few weeks and I am starting to have growing concerns about my ability as an instructor. I am a low-time pilot (350 hours) and, like many of you, am looking at the CFI route towards building the hours to go to the airlines. Though I know this is a stepping stone, I also understand the importance of the job, the responsibility that I would have as an instructor, and that my primary job is to build quality pilots, not flight time. However, the closer I get to actually doing the job, the more I start thinking to myself, "What is a 350 hour pilot doing teaching people how to fly when I am still in the process of learning?" I find myself often asking whether or not I have had enough experience as a pilot in order to be a flight instructor. For all those that have gone this route, have you found these to be normal feelings? If so, how do you cope with them? I am lucky that I will be having an older, more experienced flight instructor mentoring me, but is this enough? Thanks.

The fact that you are concerned tells me that you have the right attitude to be a CFI.

The rest will come quickly onve you start teaching. Don't be afraid to say "I don't know, but I'll find out".

The fact that you are concerned tells me that you have the right attitude to be a CFI.

The rest will come quickly onve you start teaching. Don't be afraid to say "I don't know, but I'll find out".

:yeahthat:

You learn a lot in the first 10 hours of dual given.

You will be surprised how much you actually learn during your training. Your whole training was basically being taught how to fly. During my CFI training I didn't think I could teach because I was trying to teach my CFI who has a lot of experience, so I was very afraid at times. But it that very first flight as a CFI that you realize how cool it is to teach a new student how to fly. The look on their face is priceless. You got this far, so enjoy teaching, you'll like it.

I had the same thoughts as a CFI with only 240 hours. You will feel completely comfortable after only a few lessons. Just remember that a big part of teaching, as with sales, is confidence. Your students must believe that you know what you are doing in order to put faith in you as an instructor.
Relax and have fun! Now is when the real learning begins.

I've been a CFI for 500 hours now, have 9 passes, and still wonder why in the hell they gave me that certificate. Its normal.

:yeahthat: 2x

No one is really ready overall. Your paradigm changes when you start teaching. Your perception changes. It's why CFI is such a valuable tool in career progression.

Lao Tzu or Confucius or Arostotle said something along the lines of, "In order to move a mountain, you must first carry away stones."

Makes sense - it can be a daunting taks, but your're up for the challenge; just take a little at a time.

"What is a 350 hour pilot doing teaching people how to fly when I am still in the process of learning?"
I would go as far as to say that you can teach best only when you're still learning. I am by no means a CFI (or even a PPL...) but I have a great deal of time tutoring math, and I have found that I can only really relate with the students' troubles when I'm learning something challenging as well.

Hey everyone,

I am getting ready to take my CFI checkride here in the next few weeks and I am starting to have growing concerns about my ability as an instructor. I am a low-time pilot (350 hours) and, like many of you, am looking at the CFI route towards building the hours to go to the airlines. Though I know this is a stepping stone, I also understand the importance of the job, the responsibility that I would have as an instructor, and that my primary job is to build quality pilots, not flight time. However, the closer I get to actually doing the job, the more I start thinking to myself, "What is a 350 hour pilot doing teaching people how to fly when I am still in the process of learning?" I find myself often asking whether or not I have had enough experience as a pilot in order to be a flight instructor. For all those that have gone this route, have you found these to be normal feelings? If so, how do you cope with them? I am lucky that I will be having an older, more experienced flight instructor mentoring me, but is this enough? Thanks.

The fact you are concerned about your ability to teach is understandable, and....expected.

It shows the right attitude and approach to passing on the knowledge you have to other pilots.

You will probably not feel comfortable in your ability to teach effectively until about 50-100 dual given. Don't feel bad if you are feeling lost during the time with your first few students. Don't be afraid to consult other more senior CFI's.....and hit the books if you are unsure about a reg or answer to a student's question.

I NEVER thought I would end up as a CFI........but have been doing it, getting more proficient and typically have enjoyed it for the past 2 years.

Back