ready for FL? need some advice

Charles15

Dear Pilots:
I need advice about my future. I would like to earn a college degree at either FIT, ERAU, or JU in aeronautics or flight management, and then pursue flight training in FL at either Pan Am Academy, East Aviation, FlightSafety, or ATP.
I really do not want to go to any local college in NJ even if it means saving me money.. I'm obsessed about living and going to school in FL. My gpa is about 3.7, i'm involved in many school activities, i'm an eagle scout and i'm currently looking into Civil Air Patrol. I should recieve some sort of scholarship. Does anybody have any tips about FL or the schools and please do not recommend a local college, I refuse. Please give me suggestions about pursuing an aviation major and flight training. Thanks

Let's see - you live in New Jersey and are asking questions about colleges in Florida...hmmm....none of the colleges in Florida are local to you! ha
grin.gif
I think you mean 'community colleges' and if that's the case doesn't JU fall into that category??

Seriously - if you don't mind me asking - why so he!! bent on Florida? I guess it depends on what part of the state you're in but it tends to get a little warm down there - 90 degrees with 98% humidity in an un-airconditioned Cessna sucks the big one. Thunderstorms every afternoon...blah - you can have it! There are certainly some fine schools in Florida but there are a ton of fine schools in the other 49 states as well - why limit yourself???

Jason

I'm in about the same position as you, although I probably won't end up going to school in Florida and probably won't end up majoring in aeronautics.

I agree with Jason in that you should keep all of your options open and not be absolutely fixed on going to school in Florida and whatnot. Try and look at your future from a broad perspective.

Also, if you major in aeronautics, I don't think there is a need to attend pursue flight training at an academy, or atleast that would be a financial killer. For example, I think the aeronautical science degree at ERAU gives most of the ratings.

Again, I'm at the same crossroads you are at now, and I'm only telling you what others have told me. Hope this helps...

Well I know there are many schools with aviation programs, but I will just tell you about ours. My husband is going to UVSC in Utah, but he actually does all his classes online at his own pace. He will have a 2 year degree by the end of this semester, but we are moving to FL in a few months and he will be going to FSI. He will finish his degree online, all the way to 4 years. With the flexibility of it being internet, it makes it so much easier and less stressful. From what I hear UVSC is very reputable. Good luck!

I think almost all classes are available online. Except obvious ones like lab science or ballroom dance or something where you'd need to be there, KWIM? Ok, wait though, by graduate program does that mean masters? (Sorry, I am pathetic, I have not been to college and don't know all the names of the degrees.) If you mean masters, I don't *think* they have anything more then 4 year degrees, but I am not positive. Their website is www.uvsc.edu I am sure you could find an answer there. Sorry I wasn't more helpful.

Back