Raytheon FAA Academy Remote Pilot Operator

Probably facing being fired all the time though. When I was at the academy it was OU instructors and RPO's and Raytheon or maybe Lock Mart at my facility. They got unified, the entire cadre drove to the center to interview for their jobs, two of three retained their positions and I believe we're at the same 2 full timers and 8 part timers now. We had 56 controllers my first day, we're at about 30, half are back as contractors.
Fired or just furloughed until more students arrive?

You will be simulating about 20 aircraft simultaneously using very basic instructions. Things like fly 270 knots, heading 300, descend to 7000 feet.

No real piloting skills required.

When we ran out of students I was laid off (however having done the job already would have likely been rehired if I wanted back)

You will be simulating about 20 aircraft simultaneously using very basic instructions. Things like fly 270 knots, heading 300, descend to 7000 feet.

No real piloting skills required.

When we ran out of students I was laid off (however having done the job already would have likely been rehired if I wanted back)
Thanks. I appreciate the info.

I don't know yet, but won't I be simulating flying a plane via a computer? That's what a lot of UAV pilots do.
I think you may be thinking of flight sim or something. It's not like that at all. You will basically be sitting at a computer on the other end of a training controller and acting as the pilot of every plane he is "working." For example when he clears an aircraft to climb you will readback as if you were the pilot and click/type to input the command. It's a lot closer to those online atc games than flight sim.

I think you may be thinking of flight sim or something. It's not like that at all. You will basically be sitting at a computer on the other end of a training controller and acting as the pilot of every plane he is "working." For example when he clears an aircraft to climb you will readback as if you were the pilot and click/type to input the command. It's a lot closer to those online atc games than flight sim.
I know and that's how a lot of UAV's are flown. Not all, but a lot. Controlled by a computer keyboard. Watch the videos I have linked.

I don't know yet, but won't I be simulating flying a plane via a computer? That's what a lot of UAV pilots do.
I want to be angry, but you are pretty spot on...

Seriously though, actual pilot experience really does help out a ton. They don't hire that though. Networking is the biggest part of getting a job with UAV's.

I saw a AZ site offering off the shelf UAV's training for $3,500.
Claimed near future earnings of
$85k to $200 k

I did this job (remote) as a GS-7 ATA at LAX TRACON as part of my duties. It was fun cause they had a "sim room" at the facility just for training controllers. Doing the job of a remote to train controllers was a great diversion from ripping strips and doing the arrival ATIS. Would be a fun job for a computer gamer but has nothing to do with drones nor will it do anything ones aviation career.

I did this job (remote) as a GS-7 ATA at LAX TRACON as part of my duties. It was fun cause they had a "sim room" at the facility just for training controllers. Doing the job of a remote to train controllers was a great diversion from ripping strips and doing the arrival ATIS. Would be a fun job for a computer gamer but has nothing to do with drones nor will it do anything ones aviation career.

This guy!

Funny thing is I read an Ebook 3 years ago from the guy who helped build the TRACON sims portion of the ARTS III. If memory serves he was at LAX TRACON. Long story short his temp ARTS gig ran out right about the time of the PATCO strike and he found himself on the street. He ended up in law enforcement. Around '92 a buddy invited him in to show him the cutting edge training rig. Same freaking thing he'd programmed 15 years ago. Errr same thing we have now.

When I worked at the Tracon we had these printers that seemed kinda old skool (this was the mid-80's). I asked one of the supes about it and he said the FAA got a great deal on them when the Holiday Inn's went high tech. I kid you not....

A lot of the stuff I worked with seemed like it was from WWII. That said, current HF communications for overwater ATC seems like it's from WWII, as well. "San Fransciso, San Franscisco, UPS 2968 on 5574, over"

When I worked at the Tracon we had these printers that seemed kinda old skool (this was the mid-80's). I asked one of the supes about it and he said the FAA got a great deal on them when the Holiday Inn's went high tech. I kid you not....

Probably that same equipment got sold to the Brits and they used it to outfit the control centre at Swanwick. :smoke:

Im doing 902, hnl-ont on Monday. Probably the E track. Am doing 2968 the Monday before Xmas though. Do you work at Palmdale center? I'd be there now had I not washed out of the academy in 86. Best thing that ever happened to me though I was sadly dissapointed at the time.

Well, I'll miss you those two days. Too bad. I think you've mentioned your brief ATC career before and I remember thinking on whether I'd want to trade places now. Tough call for me. I'm glad you got to Big Brown, though.

Yeah. I was an ATA at LA tracon for a year. All the controllers thought I was crazy to do ATC rather than fly. One supe was a CFI and sorta took me under his wing. Looking back on it I think I work way less and make more. That said, it's nice to be able to do 20 and out and be home every day. It's a cool job. In spite of washing out of the academy I know I would have been a good controller and enjoyed the work. I think the two days, two swings, and a mid would have been tough though. I'm glad I had the experience. Most pilots have no clue about what goes on at the other end of the microphone.

Back