Rapid Decompression procedures?

Yeah, it's "recommended". What I actually do will depend on the circumstances.

@dasleben can probably say something smarter about the Boeing automation, but they taught my Dad "spin push, spin pull" for a while.
Yeah, that's how I was trained, too. Right to left across the MCP to get the jet going down, then boards out and TLs idle. Leave the automation on to reduce workload, and in case you pass out.

Turn off track is a good idea, and definitely SOP on oceanic tracks.

I love the thought that the yellow dixi cups in the back will do a damn thing for passengers at any altitude where they would actually be needed.

Effective use of automation can be helpful in the emergent descent. Even if it's just a safe altitude and flc + power levers reduced, you will get to a safe altitude. Seems the Canadians stress it as a threat mitigation technique. In the sim, when we show people how to do it on AP vs manual, most everybody uses the AP after. Much less of an event

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the thought that the yellow dixi cups in the back will do a damn thing for passengers at any altitude where they would actually be needed.

They won't do anything for smoke or fumes, but for lack of o2 pressure they should keep people alive long enough for you to get down to the mid teens where they can breath normally again.

Every jet I've flown has called for emergency descents with the autopilot on. Current airspeed if you suspect airframe damage, MMO/VMO if you don't. Also, it's always been straight ahead, unless directed otherwise by ATC.

They won't do anything for smoke or fumes, but for lack of o2 pressure they should keep people alive long enough for you to get down to the mid teens where they can breath normally again.

Every jet I've flown has called for emergency descents with the autopilot on. Current airspeed if you suspect airframe damage, MMO/VMO if you don't. Also, it's always been straight ahead, unless directed otherwise by ATC.

The memory items for the CE650 specifically include disconnecting the autopilot.

The CE650 does have an emergency descent mode in the event of decompression. The plane will descend to 15,000' or so at Mmo/Vmo. Of course unless there's someone awake to pull the throttles back, the plane will run out of fuel before reaching breathable air.

The "dixie cups" in the back are only certified to FL250; another reason it's imperative to lose altitude as quickly as possible. I can't speak to newer avionics/autopilots/auto-throttles, but I can get the airplane down much faster without the autopilot than with. Once established in the descent I can worry about coordinating with ATC and have the other pilot see about setting up the automation for a level off. I generally keep TCAS displayed on my EHSI, so I'd use that as primary traffic avoidance in the initial descent.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Thanks guys.

I'm slated to build some annual recurrent unusual circumstance training.

Doing a few different simulations, want to get it as close to real as possible, everyone we've seen here in real life each crew did it different

In the 727 is was basically. The autopilot wasn't that advanced to fly the maneuver itself..

O2 MASK ON and 100%
Communications Establish
Thrust Levers Flight Idle
Speed Brakes Full
Roll right or left to 30-45 degrees of bank and let the nose fall through the horizon
Accelerate to Vmo/Mmo. If structural integrity is in question. Slow to max gear extension and drop the gear and then hold max gear extended speed or slow at PIC discretion. Either way she's falling out of the air like a rock.
Set the MEA or 10000 in the alt alert whichever is higher
Communicate with ATC

Pull the emergency oxygen green ring, roll inverted, and do a spilt s to below 10000 ft cabin alt. That is how you survive. Obviously some airframes can't get that aggressive, but IMHO, it is a really serious emergency and you have a matter of seconds in some scenarios to get to breathable outside air. Talk to ATC when you can, but they certainly will notice when you leave FL380 with a 40,000+ ft/min descent rate and assume something is wrong :)

Pull the emergency oxygen green ring, roll inverted, and do a spilt s to below 10000 ft cabin alt. That is how you survive. Obviously some airframes can't get that aggressive, but IMHO, it is a really serious emergency and you have a matter of seconds in some scenarios to get to breathable outside air. Talk to ATC when you can, but they certainly will notice when you leave FL380 with a 40,000+ ft/min descent rate and assume something is wrong :)

Assuming you can find the nearly impossible tiny ring in a dark cockpit with gloves on...You'd think they'd find a better way to do this.

Assuming you can find the nearly impossible tiny ring in a dark cockpit with gloves on...You'd think they'd find a better way to do this.

No doubt, though I don't wear gloves. It is nice that they changed the location of said ring between various lot jets.

Speaking of finding the time to talk to us
There is rumour of an old story in the ATC world...

"Centre, Speedbird 123 do you have a moment?"

"go ahead..."

"Roger,...Mayday mayday mayday....

As someone who has had not one, but two (one in a 777 and one in a G-III), real, honest to god emergency decompression events, I feel like I can comment here. These are high adrenaline events that are nothing like the simulator or even simulating them in the airplane. They are very disorienting and are not fun.

Use the autopilot if you have one. If you dont have one, you probably arent flying something where it matters. The couple of seconds you might save hand flying it far out weigh the likely hood you will screw up and overspeed or something else.

I would venture to guess being on AP gives you SA sooner and the ability to talk to ATC sooner as well.

We appreciate we are the last to be told, but we normally see it unless we're on another task, only question for us is which way do I move the other traffic out of your way

I can say in both instances ATC was great. In the first one, ATC seemed more excited than we did, but they cleared a huge path for us and didnt try to talk too much or ask too many questions.

I would venture to guess being on AP gives you SA sooner and the ability to talk to ATC sooner as well.

We appreciate we are the last to be told, but we normally see it unless we're on another task, only question for us is which way do I move the other traffic out of your way

I've worked one, witnessed two

In mine I kept the airplane on my freq into the controllers airspace underneath to mitigate the crew doing anything not really needed, lots of coordination going on, and switch comms at 10k.

Really once you move a plane or two we can't o much else until you're level

Back