Random pictures on the job

v1valarob

Im on reserve and bored at home, so here are some random pictures from my first month and a half at Colgan. All taken with my iPhone.

Attachments

• IMG_0322.jpg
    IMG_0322.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_0332.jpg
    IMG_0332.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0344.jpg
    IMG_0344.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_0347.jpg
    IMG_0347.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_0352.jpg
    IMG_0352.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_0355.jpg
    IMG_0355.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_0363.jpg
    IMG_0363.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_0376.jpg
    IMG_0376.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0381.jpg
    IMG_0381.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_0383.jpg
    IMG_0383.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 193
Awesome pics rob.

2 Questions for you,

How are you liking Colgan Air?

And What the hell happened to that tire?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!!!!!!

Looking good Rob!
I like the, ahem, "research material", wedged between the power and condition levers :p
How often are you in LGA? I'll be in and out of there from the 22nd-25th this month. We'll get a cup of joe or something

Looking good Rob!
I like the, ahem, "research material", wedged between the power and condition levers :p
How often are you in LGA? I'll be in and out of there from the 22nd-25th this month. We'll get a cup of joe or something

Unfortunately Ken Im never in LGA. Since Im IAD based, I only do the United flying. Im hoping next month though that Ill get some TDY out to a US Airways station and head back into LGA. I thought it was pretty fun when I did it on IOE.

I did find it pretty funny when the Captain said "Rob, we really need to get you some reading material."

As for the tire, we landed in Jamestown, NY and all was good. We where slowing down and then the anti-skip inop caution light started to flash and the captain said that he had to really mash the brakes in for them to work. We pulled into the gate and found the tire like that on the post flight.

So far I am really enjoying Colgan. I was prepared in advance for the crap work schedules, and being really worked. This month I have 11 days off, and they are 3 or 4 days in a row. Im just glad that I even have a job right now. Every time I fly, I am learning something new, and its just a ton of fun. Hopefully Ill be saying that in a few months.

Great pics Rob! Do you get to do a lot of hand flying with the Saab?

Yea, its a pretty easy plane to fly. On longer routes Ill hand fly it up to cruise altitude. On the shorter routes (15 minutes) its more work to hand fly it, and Ill let george do most of the work.

I have had one day where the yaw damp and auto-pilot where MEL'd. So I had no choice but to hand fly the plane all day.

My favorite part of flight now are visual approaches. Killing the autopilot and actually flying is great.

My favorite part of flight now are visual approaches. Killing the autopilot and actually flying is great.

You can say that again. It's funny, when I was flight instructing we had a couple of planes with autopilots, and the students would always want to turn them on and 'let the plane fly itself', cuz it was cool. Now, I look forward to clicking that red button and flying a visual approach myself.

As for the tire, I have no idea what happened. I'm guessing that wheel locked up for some reason (none of the other tires were damaged at all) and it rubbed till it punctured. We found it like that in EWR at 6:00am. I can understand that the crew who brought it in (around midnight) didn't see it IF that spot was on the bottom of the tire. They move the planes to a hardstand and back to the gate in the morning, and that could have repositioned the bad spot to where it was easily visible to us. And yeah, no one in EWR has -900 tires, so they had to send one up from CLT. Finally ferried the plane back around 3:00pm!

Good times with Colgan. You all were the best pilots to work for out at IAD. All the rest tended to have an attitude (with some exceptions).

Back