Random pics from IOE

Duck_Twacy

My first PFTR...sorry the quality isn't that great, but I haven't tried to take my good rig into the flight deck yet. The iPhone takes pretty good pictures for a camera phone. These are mostly flying in and out of LGA.

Following the Hudson early in the morning:
2884452639_c5aae02e31.jpg

Before commencing the Expressway Visual 31 (a better pic would have been circling Shea Stadium, but I was kind of busy by that point trying not to screw it up ;):
2884452667_d4abc5c25c.jpg

Sunset between layers somewhere over NY:
2885341388_37b580c638.jpg

Sunset over eastern PA:
2885341420_abd0371b95.jpg

My mighty steed on the ramp:
2885341294_06aaa198f9.jpg

That's it for now!

Nice pics, btw on the Expressway Visual you follow the East River, not the Hudson, the location you took the pics was in NY Harbor, somewhere Brooklyn near the Verrazzano I presume...

Nice pics, btw on the Expressway Visual you follow the East River, not the Hudson, the location you took the pics was in NY Harbor, somewhere Brooklyn near the Verrazzano I presume...

You do not follow any river. You track the LGA R-225 and make a right turn at about 6 DME to circle to land on runway 31. If they followed the river, they would land on RWY 13 or get in the way of departing traffic trying to circle for RWY 31 from the north.

You do not follow any river. You track the LGA R-225 and make a right turn at about 6 DME to circle to land on runway 31. If they followed the river, they would land on RWY 13 or get in the way of departing traffic trying to circle for RWY 31 from the north.

What they did that day was clear us direct to the VOR. That photo was taken on about a 220 heading, give or take. Then they gave us a 270 outbound, sometimes they will tell you to go to the "bridge", in reference to the GW bridge. This will take you directly over Central Park to the bridge. Then they give you a southerly heading, which basically puts you along the Hudson. When you're abeam the former Trade Center site, they ask if you have "the tanks", and if so, clear you to 2500' direct the tanks. Over the tanks, they clear you for the Expressway Visual, contact the tower. It's fun!

What they did that day was clear us direct to the VOR. That photo was taken on about a 220 heading, give or take. Then they gave us a 270 outbound, sometimes they will tell you to go to the "bridge", in reference to the GW bridge. This will take you directly over Central Park to the bridge. Then they give you a southerly heading, which basically puts you along the Hudson. When you're abeam the former Trade Center site, they ask if you have "the tanks", and if so, clear you to 2500' direct the tanks. Over the tanks, they clear you for the Expressway Visual, contact the tower. It's fun!

Interesting.

You know what else is fun? Calculus homework!

They don't make you follow any river - they usually just clear you to the white tanks or to the fix "DIALS". The approach becomes extra fun when you turn final from the Expressway. :)

They don't make you follow any river - they usually just clear you to the white tanks or to the fix "DIALS". The approach becomes extra fun when you turn final from the Expressway. :)

We were coming from BUF, I think, so they sent us SW to the VOR, then west, then south, then to the tanks and beyond.

I'm not sure why we were northeast of the field, but that may have been the day they "vectored us for spacing" for about 20 minutes.

It's a fun approach, but a right base from where we were in that picture would have been nice too ;)

Yeah I know, hence the name Expressway approach, but what I'm getting at is the Hudson River is on the left and the East River on the right... Thanks for the info about the approach, I didn't know about the tanks and such.;)

Coming in from the north, they send you direct to the LGA VOR, have you cross it a 4000. Then you depart the VOR on a 270, descend to 3000. They then send you southbound down the river, turn you over lower Manhattan and ask you to call the tanks. I've done it more than once. However, to be technical, it's not the actual approach. That's just the vectors for it. The actual approach starts at the DIALS intersection (White Tanks).

Ahh yes, the old express way 31.

I'm not an old codger, but I remember when there were Maspeth Gas Tanks (big concrete tanks with the red and white checkers on the top). We'd call the Verizano and tanks insight, and get Over the Verizano, to the tanks, cleared for the expressway 31 visual. Do a turn about a point over Shea to a short final.

Then on 22 days, it's be verizano insight. And we'd get "Over the lady, up the Hudson". Then somewhere north of central park, start getting vectored for the ILS.

Yep. From the south, it was call the bridge. Once you called the bridge, it was "Over the Lady, up the river" for 22 or direct the tanks for 31.

Yeah I know, hence the name Expressway approach, but what I'm getting at is the Hudson River is on the left and the East River on the right... Thanks for the info about the approach, I didn't know about the tanks and such.;)

The second picture is the Expressway picture, coming from the north. If you look you can see the field in the center of the picture, with Manhattan just above.

The picture you reference was two mornings before, we were just being vectored for a visual to 22.

Back