RAH Cancels More Furloughs

So why answer the phone at all on a day off?

To mess with them. :) I know here, if you're an FO paired with a check airman, they might be calling to say you're being bought off a trip. RAH does have a sweet deal where they don't HAVE to accept trips when scheduling calls them. I believe they are one of the few airlines that has that.

FWIW...

I found out today I'm not getting furloughed either(non pilot). Six of us SOC types were supposed to get tossed Sept. through Oct. I do have to go from S5 to RW though. No big deal there.

Hopefully this trend continues RAH'ers.

Why not? It can't hurt. Before the furloughs...if they called me, sure I'd answer it and consider open time...usually went something like this.

"Hi Andy, this is Kim from crew scheduling. We have a day trip tomorrow starting at 0600 and back in base at 1400, do you think you can do it?"

"Possibly...I'll need those 2 days off that I requested that you rejected and 6 hours of pay for tomorrow. If you'll do it, I'll fly the trip".

Plain and simple...

Ok I understand how you all have to ability to reject a JM there. My question is why is anyone even answering or considering answering when you all have furloughs? To hell with it. No one should even answer or consider it in the first place.

Ok I understand how you all have to ability to reject a JM there. My question is why is anyone even answering or considering answering when you all have furloughs? To hell with it. No one should even answer or consider it in the first place.

Please re-read my first sentence...word by word....(I've posted it below for your reading enjoyment).

"Why not? It can't hurt. Before the furloughs...if they called me, sure I'd answer it and consider open time...usually went something like this."

And another thing, the fact we can reject any time they want us to fly actually gives us some power and it helps out when when we can say to crew scheduling..."Call one of the furloughees...ta ta".

Please re-read my first sentence...word by word....(I've posted it below for your reading enjoyment).

haha i know you reject it! I saw that. I am asking more of hypothetical as to anyone, why do they answer period! I know you have done your part to help your fellow pilots out at RAH and its something you can be proud of. It seems like many of your group has tried their best, and in a way you will hear it here first! I am jealous because it appears your pilot group is a lot less selfish then my own. :) I talked to a buddy who said this saved a whole class? But they possibly did not save more because the next class was 135/145? I have a feeling they'd have to train them on the E170, and he was thinking that had a little to do with it? He was saying he thinks you will all be very short and need guys so they will have to figure it out real fast. Sounds like you all still have attrition which is great! Best of luck!

haha i know you reject it! I saw that. I am asking more of hypothetical as to anyone, why do they answer period! I know you have done your part to help your fellow pilots out at RAH and its something you can be proud of. It seems like many of your group has tried their best, and in a way you will hear it here first! I am jealous because it appears your pilot group is a lot less selfish then my own. :) I talked to a buddy who said this saved a whole class? But they possibly did not save more because the next class was 135/145? I have a feeling they'd have to train them on the E170, and he was thinking that had a little to do with it? He was saying he thinks you will all be very short and need guys so they will have to figure it out real fast. Sounds like you all still have attrition which is great! Best of luck!

Can't lie, I wish I was on the Republic bandwagon right now. Bet all 120 of them will be recalled before the 78 of us.

Like I believe Kellwolf said just to mess with them and see how desperate they are. If they are really desperate I have heard some storys of them offering 10 hours of pay plus whatever the trip is worth. Letting you drop a trip that you would have wanted off. etc...

But mostly just to tell them no and feel like you may have stuck it to the man just a little bit.

But mostly just to tell them no and feel like you may have stuck it to the man just a little bit.

That's pretty much why I answered my phone on my day off after having worked 6 in a row. I winked at my wife and said "Watch this" as I answered it. Poor gal on the other end was heart broken when I said "I'd love to take it, but you might wanna check the legality."

I have heard stories of CS calling a CA and was so desperate, they not only paid him double time, they also DH him HOME since he was a commuter. Not sure if it's true or not.

Oh CS can get creative at some airlines.

On a day off, I got the dreaded "Caller Unavailable". After a few minutes I checked the voicemail and they were offering to fly me on British Airways from PHX to LHR, ground transportation over to Crawley to layover, then LGW-JFK the day after.

Sounded fun, but a brotherman needs a few days off.

BTW, Pengy used to be a crew scheduler! Don't give that guy any ideas in case he decides to resume his career on "The Dark Side(tm)"! ;)

Oh CS can get creative at some airlines.

On a day off, I got the dreaded "Caller Unavailable". After a few minutes I checked the voicemail and they were offering to fly me on British Airways from PHX to LHR, ground transportation over to Crawley to layover, then LGW-JFK the day after.

Sounded fun, but a brotherman needs a few days off.

BTW, Pengy used to be a crew scheduler! Don't give that guy any ideas in case he decides to resume his career on "The Dark Side(tm)"! ;)

Yeah CS can be more like a travel agent in these cases....

I don't know if this is purely rumor and it very well may be but I have heard numerous times that Embraer has paid for the 170/175 sims/instructors for us. It only costs the company the cash they are paying the pilots for being there. I don't know if it is just for a number of crews per plane we have or whatnot but I know Embraer has some sorta hand in the training mix.

I don't know if this is purely rumor and it very well may be but I have heard numerous times that Embraer has paid for the 170/175 sims/instructors for us. It only costs the company the cash they are paying the pilots for being there. I don't know if it is just for a number of crews per plane we have or whatnot but I know Embraer has some sorta hand in the training mix.

It's called "entitlement training" and it's in the purchase contract of a new airplane. I think it's 5 crews per delivery. At least it was when I was there....

Being able to say "No" is very fun!!:p:p:p

Kellwolf said:
I have heard stories of CS calling a CA and was so desperate, they not only paid him double time, they also DH him HOME since he was a commuter. Not sure if it's true or not.

VERY common. I've had them put me in a needed hotel in exchange for a turn. . . . on a night that I'd have been staying in a hotel anyway!:p IN addition to the extra pay, that is . . . lol.

I don't know exactly what's up yet, but something is brewing in the "RAH" coffee maker for sure. We'll see I guess... TBC.................................

Back