Radical innovation from Boeing engineering dept

Regardless of their inefficiencies and interesting structure and strategy of buying companies and leaving them as subsidiaries that compete with their own divisions, it is a great company. If it wasn't, there is no way it would have survived this long. I think it is common to think the grass is greener elsewhere, but that isn't always the case. Everyone I know who works for Boeing or a subsidiary has plenty of gripes, and most relate to difficulty in changing anything, but have an huge amount of pride for the company. They are all over the 10 year mark.

I hope you are right. I have a long love affair with Boeing that goes back many decades. But in talking to those I know who have recently retired or are still working up North and down here in Seal Beach and Long Beach (including some who have been displaced in the last two years), the feelings/moods are less positive than I have heard/seen in a long time. There are obviously a number of serious issues that they need to be resolving. I truly hope that they can.
There is a lot of talent that is jumping ship or retiring early.

There is a lot of talent that is jumping ship or retiring early.
That is exactly what one friend of mine who is an engineer there (works down here in SB) is doing. He is quite brilliant too. He came over for a visit yesterday. He gave his notice just recently and has been there long enough to collect his full pension. He's going to move back to Washington where his house is and do some consulting work. He was displaced to here, renting an apartment and has finally had enough. He's not alone, sadly. In just the last couple of years, I have seen this same scenario playing out many times.

That is exactly what one friend of mine who is an engineer there (works down here in SB) is doing. He is quite brilliant too. He came over for a visit yesterday. He gave his notice just recently and has been there long enough to collect his full pension. He's going to move back to Washington where his house is and do some consulting work. He was displaced to here, renting an apartment and has finally had enough. He's not alone, sadly. In just the last couple of years, I have seen this same scenario playing out many times.
I think all the engineers in the neighbourhood did this in the last couple years and my dad did as well recently.

I think all the engineers in the neighbourhood did this in the last couple years and my dad did as well recently.
Personally, I've never seen an exodus there like this before. It was always new programs, promotions and upgrading. At the worst, a lateral move. Not so much any more. Had another friend two years ago (also an engineer) down here in LB, he left for an offer from Raytheon. He had been with Boeing for many years and worked a lot of different programs for them. Sad business. Sorry about your Dad.

Last edited:
Since it was brought up by two posters here already, how exactly is the 747-8 faring, sales-wise? I just haven't heard much in news, etc.

Since it was brought up by two posters here already, how exactly is the 747-8 faring, sales-wise? I just haven't heard much in news, etc.
Not so well. Last year they had 2 new orders. I know they have gotten 4 orders this year, not sure if there have been any more, but I don't think so. The last I looked, they had a total of 51 orders with 39 delivered.(pax version)

The freighter orders I believe were a total of 74 with 63 delivered.

They are currently only producing 6 planes a year. I don't think this bodes well for future sales at this point. Tells me Boeing doesn't see/believe it either.

Last edited:
Not so well. Last year they had 2 new orders. I know they have gotten 4 orders this year, not sure if there have been any more, but I don't think so. The last I looked, they had a total of 51 orders with 39 delivered.(pax version)

They are currently only producing 6 planes a year. I don't think this bodes well for future sales at this point. Tells me Boeing doesn't see/believe it either.

I interpret this to mean Boeing has a two year backlog on 74 production.

The end is near, but I think they'd keep going if they can keep at least a year's worth of orders on the books.

It's so much more responsible to crank out existing designs than it is to redesign and retool the floor.

I interpret this to mean Boeing has a two year backlog on 74 production.
The end is near, but I think they'd keep going if they can keep at least a year's worth of orders on the books....

Trying to out-last the A-380 :p.

There are still a few things that only the biggest machines can do. Combine that with the number of older & oldest airframes in that category and Chris is right: you have continuing life on the shop floor. Longer life at today's fuel prices: a jump in fuel will cause a contraction in this (as well as nearly every other) sector.

Last I heard Boeing are on the verge of cancelling the 747 altogether. Apparently the only plane with worse sales figures is the 380.

Just in Bloomberg on the 20th:
Boeing Co. is nearing a $4 billion deal with Russia’s largest air-freight company that would help extend the life of the iconic, hump-nosed 747 jumbo jet amid waning demand for four-engine aircraft, people close to the transaction said.

The U.S. planemaker is in advanced talks with AirBridgeCargo Airlines and its Moscow-based parent, Volga-Dnepr Group, to convert a year-old commitment into more than 10 firm orders for 747-8 freighters, two of the people said. The agreement could be announced as soon as the Farnborough Airshow next month in England, according to four people briefed on the deal, who asked not to be identified because the talks are confidential.

The deal would provide a crucial lifeline for the “Queen of the Skies” as Boeing tries to preserve production until the air-cargo market revives or shipping companies start to replace aging wide-body fleets. The 747 freighter, prized for a hinged nose that allows large cargo to be loaded at the front, is Boeing’s second-most expensive commercial jet, with a list price of $379.1 million. Buyers typically negotiate discounts.

Converting commitments to firm orders starts the process of allocating manufacturing resources and production slots to build the planes.

Boeing rose 2.6 percent to $133.13 at 9:37 a.m. in New York. The gain was the biggest in the Dow Jones Industrial Average, which climbed 1.4 percent in a global rally fueled by signs that the campaign to keep the U.K. in the Europe Union was gaining strength.

A representative of Volga-Dnepr declined to comment on the talks, but said the airline plans to take all 20 jumbos it committed to last year. A Boeing spokesman declined to comment.

Airline Shift
Sales have dwindled for Boeing’s four-engine 747 and the Airbus Group SE A380 superjumbo jetliner as airlines have shifted long-range travel to more-efficient twin-engine models like Boeing’s 777. Boeing had just 22 unfilled orders for the 747 through May, according to its website. The planemaker halved annual output of its largest commercial jet to six planes in January, citing declining sales.

The potential Russian savior for the 747 -- which brought long-range travel to the mass consumer market when it was introduced by Pan American World Airways in 1970 -- isn’t just a Boeing customer. Volga-Dnepr also transports large aircraft segments for Boeing’s 787 Dreamliner from suppliers to the planemaker’s factories.

‘White Tails’
At the Paris Air Show last June, Volga-Dnepr signed a memorandum of understanding to buy 20 of the 747-8 freighter. The shipping company took delivery in November of the first two aircraft, so-called white tails built for other customers whose orders fell through.

The Russian freight hauler confirmed it is the unidentified buyer for two of the four jumbo freighter orders Boeing recorded in March, saying the planes will be delivered later this year. The first of those two 747s has been repainted with the livery of CargoLogicAir Ltd., a Volga-Dnepr subsidiary.

Yeah, economics are important and all, but I just figured in PRESENT_YEAR aerospace would be a little further along than stapling seats into the back of a pre-existing product that moseys along at .84

"back when I was a kid, we had supersonic transport category airplanes"

No different then your previous company continuously buying aircraft from the 1960-70's era rather than buying new planes that will last them longer into the future and with better economics.

They have dropped the rate down with the intent to get through the trough period that the cargo industry is currently experiencing. There is still a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel.

As to the whole "Boeing not being innovative anymore" theme that has been going on in this thread... I don't think this is true nor would it really be Boeing's fault if it was.

If you look at the industry as a whole, it has completely changed in the last 10-20 years. Back in the day, Airlines BOUGHT their planes, paid them off if financed and operated them to the end of their useful life. Planes were on a 20-40 year useful life cycle with operators, with many planes being operated by just one or two airlines their entire life.

After 9-11 when the industry went into a big downhill spiral, you saw almost all of the airlines dump their oldest fleets. All of the 727's, DC-10's, L-1011's, Classic 747's, Most DC-9's and a few others were retired from passenger service in the 2000-2004 timeframe.

Also around this time and around the world, new low cost airlines began popping up and ordering large fleets of narrow body aircraft. This lead both manufacturers to continuously increase production rate on them. HOWEVER, these new planes were mostly acquired on Short to mid term LEASES, anywhere from 8-12 years roughly. So instead of a plane lasting 20-40 years with one or two airlines, they are now being retired around a decade old. But these planes have to be replaced by new builds for that airline to continue, so the airlines buys more of the same planes.

So how did this affect Boeing and Airbus? When leasing the planes became the major procurement method, the fleet cycle rates changed from 25+ years to under 10. So now, instead of having large technological leapfrogging events from one model to the next, we now have this cycle of continuously upgrading planes with current (well a few years old) technology.

But it doesn't stop there because we have at least three tiers of airlines operating around the world. In the past, your first tier airlines bought the newest planes. The planes being replaced would then be picked up by second tier airlines or if they were really old would go straight to the third world airlines. But because of the leasing model many airlines adopted, now third world airlines are able to get realitively new aircraft sooner. So now, instead of planes being operated to their end of useful life, they are only being operated to their end of Economic life because the leasing companies have to somewhat keep supply down.

Remember, Boeing wanted to go down the all new narrowbody road until American forced their hand...

The whole leasing model is not just subject to LCCs or narrow bodies either. Emirates owns either a single A380 or the entire fleet is leased, I can not remember. Their 777 fleet is very similar.

The 777-X family is still a great plane and can do more than what the A350 can in terms of performance and lifting capability, hence why Airbus is looking at an A350-1100. A -10 would allow them to begin encroaching into A380 territory for a relatively cheap RD cost especially if they can get the plane certified in the early 2020's right after the -8/9 enter service, because remember Emirates fleet is leased. Their first A380's begin coming off of lease next year and Airbus has said they are not willing to do an A380NEO at this time.

Last edited:
Back