R2F's Multi-Engine/IA Checkride

ready2fly

R2F\'s Multi-Engine/IA Checkride

Yep - piece of cake. Nerveracking.... but a piece of cake nonetheless.

Got there at 2:15 p.m. for the 3:00 ride and basically paced the lobby, did the preflight, paced the lobby... palms sweaty as hell... pacing, pacing.. going over in my head:

"okay, downwind 115, base 100, final 90...... engine out: mixtures, throttles, props full - flaps up, gear up - identify and verify, dead foot, dead engine, ...... power on stall, 16" MP, gear and flaps down - landing configuration - pull to idle, pitch up, wait for buffet/stall warning - recover...." and so on.

The DE gets there at 3:05 p.m. - shoots the sh*t with some of the guys outside, then comes on in. We go over what we are going to do, then we head for the plane.

Normal takeoff, head for the practice area and climb to 3500.

First, we do slow flight in the landing configuration. Slow it down with 16" MP, gear down, flaps down... stay at 3500 on a heading of 360, turn to a heading of 180, recover.

Next is steep turns. My choice. First to the left, then to the right. Didn't lose/gain more than 50' in altitude. Simply two of the best I've flown.

Then it was power-on stall time. Easy as pie.

That was followed immediately by a loss of the critical engine. The DE reached down and turned the left fuel selector to "OFF". Not knowing which engine he failed I watched the fuel pressure guages and saw that the left one was dropping, so I was ready with the right rudder.

We go to full feather, shut it completely down, then right into the restart procedures which go pretty well, except that the DE really wasn't fond of the checklist that my Instructor gave me.. even though it came directly out of the POH, he explained that he does the order of recovery differently.

He DID like my use of checklists... which was for everything... and I mean EVERYTHING.

A quick Vmc demo followed, then we were off for the approaches.

Gotta be honest when I say that those were two of the VERY BEST approaches I have ever flown!!!

First approach - both engines:
Localizer/Glideslope never wavered more than one dot... that thing was CENTERED... and this was with a 10Kt/G19Kt slight crosswind just off of the left side.

[and aside: I don't know why the aviation gods have decided that I am going to have a crosswind on landings for ALL of my checkrides... but, indeed they have. I had a x-wind for my PPL, my IR and now my MEL/IA ].

We executed a go around and got set up for the second approach.

Second approach - single engine:

Again - by far one of the best approaches I've ever flown. To that, I owe one to my instructor. He drilled it in my brain to think "okay, now I've got a single-engine airplane" and to fly the approach as I would a single... worked beautifully!!!

On this one, we were cleared for the option and at about 100 ft. he gave me back my failed engine and I landed.... right of center and floated a little, but not TOO bad.

He had me keep my eyes out of the cockpit and keep rolling as he cleaned it up and we were off - VFR - back to TPF.

Landed at TPF - again, just a tad fast (about 5-7 kts fast) resulting in a slight float and with the x-wind on RWY 3 from the left - it blew us right of center - again.

BUT.. not so much as to be "scary". Could it have been better - sure could. Next time.

We pull up in front of the FBO, shut`er down and talk briefly about making sure that I am using the correct speed on final and to not let it get too fast, then he looks at me and says the following:

"overall, a fantastic job! YOu pass. When you get done, come on in and let's get you squared away."

I go inside and we do the exchange of certificates... bye-bye cool-looking plastic cert. - helloooooooo Temporary Cert that reads....

Private Pilot, Airplane Single and Multi Engine Land, Instrument Airplane
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

The DE concludes by saying:

"You have a great base of knowledge and skill-level going into your Commercial. You'll do very well. Your knowledge in the Oral Exam really impressed me. Keep in the books and I look forward to your Commercial checkrides."

Officially - Ready2fly PPASEL/AMEL/IA..... Commercial Pilot STUDENT!!!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Re: R2F\'s Multi-Engine/IA Checkride

What an awesome job! (Though I have to admit I didn't understand most of it
grin.gif
) Some day, though, some day!

Congrats again. Sounds like you did great on the checkride. What did your DPE concentrate on during the oral?

R2F that's fantastic news!

I've always been impressed and educated by your posts, always full of good information. It's no suprise you did so well on the ride
grin.gif

------

Which airplane are you doing the commercial in?

It's working VERY well for me doing the Comm and CFI at the same time. You might want to consider it; if you meet CFI standards you automatically meet Comm.

[ QUOTE ]
It's working VERY well for me doing the Comm and CFI at the same time. You might want to consider it;

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm considering it. I've already spoken to my CFI about it and we're seriously considering doing just that.

As for what plane? Don't exactly know yet. Probably a 172. Because I went ahead and got the MEL/IA, that took care of the complex sign off.

The DE said that I could do the SEL Comm. ride in a 172 or even a Tomahawk, for that matter (but he and I would not be able to get that bad boy off the ground
wink.gif
), land, get in the Travel Air and knock out the MEL-Comm. on the same day.

Alchemy:

My DE concentrated on the following topics during the Oral Exam:

1. Vmc (how different configurations affect it)
2. Landing Gear System
3. Constant Speed Automatic Feathering prop systems (how they work)
4. The Fuel system in the Travel Air
5. Asymetric thrust, spiraling slipstream, torque and P-factors effect.
6. Critical engine (what makes it so - see 5, above)
7. Which is "safer" - a multi-engine a/c or a single engine a/c (hint - LOADED question.
wink.gif
)
5. Requirements for flying IFR (remember - it was the PPMEL/IA
6. Requirements for carrying pax
7. CG and it's effect......

There was more, but that covers the meat and taters of it.
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Landed at TPF - again, just a tad fast (about 5-7 kts fast) resulting in a slight float and with the x-wind on RWY 3 from the left - it blew us right of center - again.

BUT.. not so much as to be "scary". Could it have been better - sure could. Next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe. I never land on the centerline anymore. It's just not something we normally do due to our ops. Took a ride with a CFI in a 172 to be able to rent it.

Did some patterns at CHD for her edification. She about had a fit over the fact that I fly no base and don't land on the centerline, OMG! Just sign the damn paperwork and shut it, Miss CFI; and appreciate the easy 1.2 you just got to log........

Great Job and Great Post. I will buy the first Beer at Tommy Duffs Irish Aviation Pub next trip into town.

By the way I was about 10kts fast on my approach and landing today with no props to help slow me down
blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just sign the damn paperwork and shut it, Miss CFI; and appreciate the easy 1.2 you just got to log........

[/ QUOTE ]

HA !!!!!! I wish you'd tell her that !!!

I'd love to see her reaction !!
blush.gif

grin.gif

P.S Congrats R2F . you da man.
cool.gif

I was getting checked out one time by an arrogant CFI and after takeoff on the downwind departure I pulled the power back to idle and the CFI said "what are you doing" I said "landing" he said "why" and I said "because I aint paying for this s#*t" He billed me for .5 ground and .2 flight and I got me another CFI.
tongue.gif

Back