R2F's First IFR and IMC!!

ready2fly

R2F\'s First IFR and IMC!!

K - I promised some folks that I'd post this:

Yesterday, I flew my first IFR flight plan since getting the IR ticket! I adhered to the "K.I.S.S." method and Kept It Simple Stupid!!
grin.gif

I had asked another pilot to tag along (read: split the cost). He is a commercial-rated dude working on his CFI. He said "hey, better utilize free instruction while you can."
grin.gif
Glad I did. He was VERY helpful!! Gave me an objective opinion,
constructive criticism, and helpful hints.

We flew a simple TPF to the LAL vortac, then V441 to ODDEL then vectors into MLB. A straight shot - literally.

Along the way, we flew through several good-sized clouds and - surprise, surprise - the plane DOES fly exactly the same in the cloud as it does out of `em.
wink.gif

Logged 0.70 of actual for the flight. Very cool!!

Went under the hood an shot the ILS for Runway 9R (as the wx at MLB was severe clear) and - well - that could have gone better, but I learned from it (I basically got behind the 8 ball and was being vectored onto final before I had finished my approach brief - then forgot the "five 'T's'" upon crossing the marker...
crazy.gif
...dumbass
mad.gif
)

I still haven't quit beating myself up over it, but I've vowed to make the next flight a bit more challenging. The same guy will be going with me and I'm really looking forward to redeeming myself.

All in all, it was a fantastic experience! And I will be flying MANY, MANY more IFR flight plans from here on out!! The only way to go.
wink.gif

Re: R2F\'s First IFR and IMC!!

Congrats and thanks for sharing
smile.gif
Real IMC feels very different from being under the hood from what I have seen so far. I have been fortunate enough to log a little over 4 hours of actual while training for my instrument rating including an ILS at MFD down to minimums which was pretty cool. My checkride scheduled for the 18th of this month
shocked.gif
. Hope I can hold it together!

PaulRix: Don't sweat it. Just fly the way you've been taught and you'll do fine!

I had 2.1 hours of actual while in training for the IR and was VERY glad to get it!

We flew down to just about minimums on one of those training flights and it was a rush to pop out of the clouds and see those runway lights!!
grin.gif

Good luck!! Keep us posted!!
R2F

Well done R2F. It's a pleasure to sit back and see everyone's progression.

Fun stuff, ain't it!! Just wait till your first solo in IMC
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
And I will be flying MANY, MANY more IFR flight plans from here on out!! The only way to go.
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

...not if you start your Comm anytime soon
crazy.gif
wink.gif

True. But after I finish the Multi-Engine/Instrument (which I'm currently working on), I'll still have about 60-70 hours to build before I can START the Comm. stuff.
laugh.gif

Oh so your doing the multi stuff first? Good for you! You'll really solidify your IFR training that way....

I tired to get all the acutal I could prior to starting; I ONLY flew on cloudy days. Hope it sticks when I go back to the clouds!

[ QUOTE ]
K - could have gone better, but I learned from it (I basically got behind the 8 ball and was being vectored onto final before I had finished my approach brief - then forgot the "five 'T's'" upon crossing the marker...
crazy.gif
...dumbass
mad.gif
)

I still haven't quit beating myself up over it, but I've vowed to make the next flight a bit more challenging.

All in all, it was a fantastic experience!

[/ QUOTE ]

ready2fly

Congradulations and by the way you just rediscovered the definition of Learning = A change in behavior based on an experience. You are now a more experienced pilot than you were yesterday. Good Job!!!

Back