R22 or 300c for private?

Andrew_Neal

So my school has a couple 300c's and an R22. I opted to use the 300c because there was more instructor availability on the schedule (work full time needed flexibility) and also the weight limitations, since I weigh 225. Recently both our 300c's went down for maintenance when one of them put the tail rotor in the dirt flaring on an auto and the other bird had the tail rotor drive shaft hi-time out. Due to some politics the school staff isn't sure when they will come back up. IF for some reason it's going to be a while, I may switch to the R22 since we're about to get a third CFI for it. Only thing is... the weight. Won't be doing any real good cross country's at 225 lbs...

Whats everyone's take on this? Wait out the 300c or just switch to the r22 and maybe go on a diet? I'm only 3 lessons in on my private. Cost isn't an issue since I'm a VA student.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So my school has a couple 300c's and an R22. I opted to use the 300c because there was more instructor availability on the schedule (work full time needed flexibility) and also the weight limitations, since I weigh 225. Recently both our 300c's went down for maintenance when one of them put the tail rotor in the dirt flaring on an auto and the other bird had the tail rotor drive shaft hi-time out. Due to some politics the school staff isn't sure when they will come back up. IF for some reason it's going to be a while, I may switch to the R22 since we're about to get a third CFI for it. Only thing is... the weight. Won't be doing any real good cross country's at 225 lbs...

Whats everyone's take on this? Wait out the 300c or just switch to the r22 and maybe go on a diet? I'm only 3 lessons in on my private. Cost isn't an issue since I'm a VA student.

I would fly the R22 because you would get the SFAR out of the way for the future. The health benefits of getting to a lower weight would be good too.

Last edited:
I would fly the R22 because you would get the SFAR out of the way for the future. The health benefits of getting to a lower rate would be good too.

This. I starter in the 300c and then switched over the the R22 - even though the 300c is a fun aircraft, I'd just stick to the R22 if I did it over again.

I'd say 90% of the training market out there flies Robinson products. Your first job is going to be as a flight instructor. There are so few companies flying scwitzer products that you'll only be compounding the difficulties of finding work and building hours.

On top of that as was pointed out you have a minimum number of hours you need to have in a Robinson in order to pic and instruct for the SFAR.

Drop the 300c like a rock and don't look back.

ONLY because of the SFAR requirement, go with the Robbie. Otherwise the 300 is a superior, and more crashworthy, aircraft.

Tonight in class they're going to tell us when/if the 300 will be getting repaired... so if it's going to be more than a couple days (it's already been 4 weeks) then I'm definitely switching over.

I was looking at getting a 269B (TH55 with an IO- engine), but the uncertain future inventories of blades, bearings, belt killed that.

I was looking at getting a 269B (TH55 with an IO- engine), but the uncertain future inventories of blades, bearings, belt killed that.

Did the same thing. Had my eye on 333 and was worried about having a ship I couldn't find parts for.

Sikorsky put the noose around Schweizer's neck, amd Lockheed kicked the chair.

Right? Just a matter of time before these things are relics of the past. Bet someone could make a small fortune hoarding parts for them.

Right? Just a matter of time before these things are relics of the past. Bet someone could make a small fortune hoarding parts for them.

I think there are folks in NE and TX already doing this, but the supply is finite.

I second what everyone else has said. Fly the R22..you can easily go fly the 300 after that SFAR is done with if need be. It's much harder to market yourself going the other way around.
Feel free to ask any questions. I flew helos for several years(HEMS, CFI, LE) before going to FW the first of this year.

I think I'm going to do the 300 for private and R22 for commercial. My school just decided to purchase three more 300s. I weigh 220....

Thoughts on that?

I think I'm going to do the 300 for private and R22 for commercial. My school just decided to purchase three more 300s. I weigh 220....

Thoughts on that?

I wouldn't bank anything on what a flight school said they are going to buy. Again I would get on the R22 and get the SFAR out of the way.

I wouldn't bank anything on what a flight school said they are going to buy. Again I would get on the R22 and get the SFAR out of the way.

I'll need to do a weight and balance to be sure but I weigh 220-230 and my instructor weighs 200. Not sure I'll be able to do the ccx portion very efficiently.

I'll need to do a weight and balance to be sure but I weigh 220-230 and my instructor weighs 200. Not sure I'll be able to do the ccx portion very efficiently.

Could you do the cross-country portion in the 300 then move back to the R22?

I asked last week and they said no. I asked the chief CFI there what his thoughts were on everything and he swears that it really doesn't matter for private. His thinking is that since 99% of his students work full time jobs but are also pursuing this helicopter degree, that flight instructor availability and flexibility is important - which in my case, it is. I can only fly weekday afternoon between 3 and 6. We have more 300's and 300 CFIs which makes it easy to schedule, however we only have 1 Robbie and 2 Robbie CFIs, 1 of which primary flys weekends... so that in combination with my weight has been the issue with me switching over to the R22. My thing is, I need to fly the R22 for commercial anyway... so I may as well go on a diet and make it work.

I'd get that Robbie time and SFAR handled. You just never know when a CFI gig comes up down the road that's in an R22. I always say more options is better...

LC

Back