R-44 down in Sherman Oaks

RDoug

Four people, no "life-threatening injuries".

Helicopter carrying 4 makes emergency landing in Sherman Oaks neighborhood

950x534

I think those are fixed floats, not pop-outs.
They look like Dart emergency floats to me.

Need to find another pic. If they are four piece, they are emergency. Otherwise, they are fixed. I think Dart is he only supplier of emergency floats for the 44.

Update: After some Google-fu, I think they are fixed.

Last edited:
I started to seconds guess it because most of the fixed floats weren't yellow. However, the pop outs have 4 separate cells.

And here are some fixed, yellow floats.

maxresdefault.jpg

I don't know if this is still the case, but at one time, the procedure was to auto into the water, let the fuselage absorb the initial impact, then pull the trigger on the floats. On several occasions, the pilot popped them before hitting the water, and when the aircraft touched/splashed down in the water, the floats departed the aircraft. No bueno.

Interesting. That's only a few blocks from me. Wondered what all the commotion was, last Friday. Glad no one was seriously injured. They might have received a parking ticket, though!

I work at KVNY and that helicopter looks familiar as does the name of the company. I haven't seen a helicopter on floats around here in a long time. Maybe they just install them when they're needed, maybe for flights to Catalina? I haven't touched a helicopter in a very long time so I have no idea what the rules are or how difficult they are to install and remove.

We stay in Sherman Oaks during our VNY overnights. It could have crashed into our hotel... gasp. Ban all helicopters!

Sent from my Startac using Tapatalk.

Back