Quick Question @Oil Spill

N961EA

Hi guys, just bought an airplane (1st time owner, yay) and while adding oil, I used the wrong funnel (I know stupid and stubborn), and spilled oil inside the cowling (I’d say 2-3 Fl Oz). Should I expect a big mess when I fly it next?? It’s a Piper Cherokee Arrow.
Thanks for the help.

Yes, it’ll be messy. Not the end of the world, but it’ll be something you’re cleaning up for a long time to come because it will work it’s way into every stiffener, working rivet, and nook. If you can, drop the cowl and clean it up now. If you can’t, you can’t. It won’t be a huge problem

I'll just put on an airshow with smoke then....lol.... no idea how to remove the cowlings on a "complex" airplane....and don't want to end up with a stranded airplane on the ramp.... When it's due for the 100-hr inspection, I'll have an engine detailer take care of it.....

I'll just put on an airshow with smoke then....lol.... no idea how to remove the cowlings on a "complex" airplane....and don't want to end up with a stranded airplane on the ramp.... When it's due for the 100-hr inspection, I'll have an engine detailer take care of it.....
Good lord, no. Learn how to de-cowl the engine. Get yourself some Varsol and a sprayer, and some rags, and clean it yourself.

You’ll go broke in six months if you pay other people to do these simple tasks, and you’ll miss the opportunity to learn a lot about your plane.

The 31 items that you CAN do yourself:

1. Removal, installation, and repair of landing gear tires.
2. Replacing elastic shock absorber cords on landing gear.
3. Servicing landing gear shock struts by adding oil, air, or both.
4. Servicing landing gear wheel bearings, such as cleaning and greasing.
5. Replacing defective safety wiring or cotter keys.
6. Lubrication not requiring disassembly other than removal of nonstructural items such as cover plates, cowlings, and fairings.
7. Making simple fabric patches not requiring rib stitching or the removal of structural parts or control surfaces. In the case of balloons, the making of small fabric repairs to envelopes (as defined in, and in accordance with, the balloon manufacturers' instructions) not requiring load tape repair or replacement.
8. Replenishing hydraulic fluid in the hydraulic reservoir.
9. Refinishing decorative coating of fuselage, balloon baskets, wings tail group surfaces (excluding balanced control surfaces), fairings, cowlings, landing gear, cabin, or cockpit interior when removal or disassembly of any primary structure or operating system is not required.
10. Applying preservative or protective material to components where no disassembly of any primary structure or operating system is involved and where such coating is not prohibited or is not contrary to good practices.
11. Repairing upholstery and decorative furnishings of the cabin, cockpit, or balloon basket interior when the repairing does not require disassembly of any primary structure or operating system or interfere with an operating system or affect the primary structure of the aircraft.
12. Making small simple repairs to fairings, nonstructural cover plates, cowlings, and small patches and reinforcements not changing the contour so as to interfere with proper air flow.
13. Replacing side windows where that work does not interfere with the structure or any operating system such as controls, electrical equipment, etc.
14. Replacing safety belts.
15. Replacing seats or seat parts with replacement parts approved for the aircraft, not involving disassembly of any primary structure or operating system.
16. Trouble shooting and repairing broken circuits in landing light wiring circuits.
17. Replacing bulbs, reflectors, and lenses of position and landing lights.
18. Replacing wheels and skis where no weight and balance computation is involved.
19. Replacing any cowling not requiring removal of the propeller or disconnection of flight controls.
20. Replacing or cleaning spark plugs and setting of spark plug gap clearance.
21. Replacing any hose connection except hydraulic connections.
22. Replacing prefabricated fuel lines.
23. Cleaning or replacing fuel and oil strainers or filter elements.
24. Replacing and servicing batteries.
25. Cleaning of balloon burner pilot and main nozzles in accordance with the balloon manufacturer's instructions.
26. Replacement or adjustment of nonstructural standard fasteners incidental to operations.
27. The interchange of balloon baskets and burners on envelopes when the basket or burner is designated as interchangeable in the balloon type certificate data and the baskets and burners are specifically designed for quick removal and installation.
28. The installations of anti-misfueling devices to reduce the diameter of fuel tank filler openings provided the specific device has been made a part of the aircraft type certificate data by the aircraft manufacturer, the aircraft manufacturer has provided FAA-approved instructions for installation of the specific device, and installation does not involve the disassembly of the existing tank filler opening.
29. Removing, checking, and replacing magnetic chip detectors.
30. Removing and replacing self-contained, front instrument panel-mounted navigation and communication devices that employ tray-mounted connectors that connect the unit when the unit is installed into the instrument panel, (excluding automatic flight control systems, transponders and microwave frequency distance measuring equipment (DME)).
The approved unit must be designed to be readily and repeatedly removed and replaced, and pertinent instructions must be provided. Prior to the unit's intended use, an operational check must be performed in accordance with the applicable sections of part 91.
31. Updating self-contained, front instrument panel-mounted Air Traffic Control (ATC) navigational software data bases (excluding those of automatic flight control systems, transponders and microwave frequency distance measuring equipment (DME), provided no disassembly of the unit is required and pertinent instructions are provided. Prior to the unit's intended use, an operational check must be performed in accordance with applicable sections of part 91.

Don't fly it until you remove the cowling and clean it off for a few reasons:

1. As @Roger Roger said, it will heat up and smoke while flying. Not a good combo.
2. The way you can tell if you're leaking oil is by looking at inside the cowling, or under the belly of the plane. If you don't clean it, you won't know if you're leaking oil or if its the overspill.

Back