Questions you didn't know on the private checkride

Mavmb

Questions you didn\'t know on the private checkride

I think it would be good to make a list of questions that the examiner stumped you on during the private pilot checkride. I still remember my private checkride and questions that have been missed by my students and other student pilots.

Airmets -- Not for thunderstorms, those are convective sigmets

Required to fly -- medical, pilot certificate, and a government issued photo ID!

Special flight permits, ADS, what are they?

MELs, how to fly with inoperative equipment

VFR weather minimums for different airspace

Mode C transponder needed above class charlie airspace

where are all the ADs, annual, 100 hr, transponder, pitot static, ELT inspections in the maitenance logs?

Re: Questions you didn\'t know on the private checkride

Aeromedical: CO posioning (red skin) vs hypoxia (blue skin)

What can a private do that a student can't (besides fly pax)

Don't forget the radio station operator's license if heading out of the US . . .

Also, SVFR and practical, scenario style uses for it. Know the airspace better than you think you should.

Know the difference between landing as soon as possible and as soon as practicable.

Know the reasons for the items on your checklists.

Amazingly, I can't recall being asked much on my private oral that I didn't know...Instrument, commercial and multi engine checkrides were a different story (with a different examiner). My private oral was almost more of a formality....only an hour or so long, including the time spent going over my 8710 form and logbook.

Almost everything I was asked concerned reading sectional charts, VFR weather minimums, and cross country planning.

I hadn't heard the term Wing Washout before. Also, being able to explain WHY factors increase/decrease.

For example, why is the takeoff roll/cruise speed/stall changed when the CG is moved forward or aft (not just HOW does it change). More of a commercial question but I still had to explain it (or at least BS my way through an answer!).

Back