Questions to any Airline Pilot!

@PhilosopherPilot

Nah, you're selling yourself short. You've contributed far more than just being a line pilot to the ASA pilot group and for that, thank you. And, now at your new residence, you're contributing much more than just being a line pilot as well.

Now, of course, I could run off and check LinkedIn and evaluate your academic history and how its been applied to the position you held at ASA, but honestly that's not my point.

Ultimately I encourage people to earn an undergraduate degree - in something. That is, if going to college and gaining additional knowledge about a subject fits your personality. Next, I encourage folks that want to come into the aviation arena to prepare themselves for what could happen if they lose a medical or their ticket is snapped away from them - now what? Cause hate to break it to a lot of folks, but having line pilot experience and an undergraduate degree in aviation sets you up for a lot of competition for the very few technical aviation gigs out there. To really snatch up a great technical gig, most folks have advanced graduate degrees running around.

BUT! Before I get too far off the tracks, undergraduate studies. Head on off to ERAU, UND, or wherever and get that awesome aviation science or whatever degree. However, if you have even the slightest interest in something outside of flying airplanes around, I highly suggest growing that academic arena. You're aviation knowledge and experience will come from actually practicing the craft. It may be cool to win Aviation Trivia at the water cooler at the ERAU Prescott dorms on Weds nights, but perhaps an education outside of the aviation industry may be better suited for the unfortunate events that might occur. That said, if studying aviation in the undergraduate realm is your thing, then hey - congrats and enjoy it, at least you have the degree - so cheers to you!

So, now with that further clarification out of the way, I can happily say I am using both my undergraduate and graduate degrees today. Neither of which are in aviation, but both of which are used to provide financial stability and intellectual stimulation outside of the aviation world.

Time for whiskey and Ray Donovan.

@PhilosopherPilot

Nah, you're selling yourself short. You've contributed far more than just being a line pilot to the ASA pilot group and for that, thank you. And, now at your new residence, you're contributing much more than just being a line pilot as well.

Now, of course, I could run off and check LinkedIn and evaluate your academic history and how its been applied to the position you held at ASA, but honestly that's not my point.

Ultimately I encourage people to earn an undergraduate degree - in something. That is, if going to college and gaining additional knowledge about a subject fits your personality. Next, I encourage folks that want to come into the aviation arena to prepare themselves for what could happen if they lose a medical or their ticket is snapped away from them - now what? Cause hate to break it to a lot of folks, but having line pilot experience and an undergraduate degree in aviation sets you up for a lot of competition for the very few technical aviation gigs out there. To really snatch up a great technical gig, most folks have advanced graduate degrees running around.

BUT! Before I get too far off the tracks, undergraduate studies. Head on off to ERAU, UND, or wherever and get that awesome aviation science or whatever degree. However, if you have even the slightest interest in something outside of flying airplanes around, I highly suggest growing that academic arena. You're aviation knowledge and experience will come from actually practicing the craft. It may be cool to win Aviation Trivia at the water cooler at the ERAU Prescott dorms on Weds nights, but perhaps an education outside of the aviation industry may be better suited for the unfortunate events that might occur. That said, if studying aviation in the undergraduate realm is your thing, then hey - congrats and enjoy it, at least you have the degree - so cheers to you!

So, now with that further clarification out of the way, I can happily say I am using both my undergraduate and graduate degrees today. Neither of which are in aviation, but both of which are used to provide financial stability and intellectual stimulation outside of the aviation world.

Time for whiskey and Ray Donovan.

I understand and agree with you. A good friend of mine just ran into a medical issue at 39... You never ever know when you might need a backup.

This.

I'm about to get one of the dreaded aviation degrees (but also getting an A&P to boot). It worked for me because only airplanes motivated me enough to go through four years of bs. Do what works for you for school, you don't get your 20s over again.

+1 Well said. However, later down the line I would like to get a business degree or something dealing with money and entrepreneur type things.

As far as the R-ATP, it's great if your degree is approved. My school has been trying to get my aviation intensive degree approved for over a year now. So now I'm at about 1,250 hours. So at this point, once they get the approval I could go to the part 121 world. In the mean time I'm just being patient and waiting it out while instructing. The more I fly as an instructor though, the more I realize that there is a lot to be learned in the first 1,500 hours alone to prepare me for the next step in my aviation career. Don't be in such a rush that you forget to enjoy/embrace the first stepping stones to your career in aviation.

Imma lazy pilot. I think I'm just lazy, and I happen to be a pilot.

I tell guys that I fly standard because I'm lazy. I'm so lazy, in fact, that the last thing I want to think about at work is how to reinvent the wheel, and thus it's easier for me to just do the job the way the boss wants than to conjure up new and stupid ways of doing things.

I tell guys that I fly standard because I'm lazy. I'm so lazy, in fact, that the last thing I want to think about at work is how to reinvent the wheel, and thus it's easier for me to just do the job the way the boss wants than to conjure up new and stupid ways of doing things.

#PREACH!

hah. Fine, you guys caught me, I'm a lazy pilot too. No, Captains, just because I say I am lazy does not mean I won't speak up if you're about to do something silly with the FMS, ACARS, or control wheel/rudder/throttles/FCP.

I learn something new every flight.

Toda, for example, I learned how to screw up the jumpseat on a 737 in such a way that it becomes impossible to fold back up. >.<

Sorry, guys. :p

-Fox

I learn something new every flight.

Toda, for example, I learned how to screw up the jumpseat on a 737 in such a way that it becomes impossible to fold back up. >.<

Sorry, guys. :p

-Fox

Ooh that's happened to me before. Embarassing!

Could someone answer me around how much should I spend in total if I want to be a airline pilot?? "Starting from 0"

Depending if you go the college route. Assuming you want to fly for a major airline one day, you'll need college in addition to flight training. I would budget about $150,000 for both according to alpa.

Back