Questions regarding IFR operations

Matt13C

I am working on my IR rating and have a few questions.

1. When going from a towered field to a non-towered and I only want to do a touch and go, can you file one flight plan? If it is possible, would it be better to just stop, all FSS and get a new clearance?

2. If you are en route and lose communications you revert to your intial clearance and squawk 7600 correct? However, what if when conducting an approach you do not break out and have to go missed, to a point that does not funnel you back towards the initial approach fix what do you do? Just stay above the MSA for that sector and try again?

I agree with tg's answer for #1 -- sure, I used to do that all the time. Just tell center your intentions -- they'll probably issue a clearance like: 'Switch to advisory approved, return to this frequency on completion of your approach.'

2. If you are en route and lose communications you revert to your intial clearance and squawk 7600 correct?
You revert to your last assigned, last vectored, last expected or last filed clearance (in that order) and squawk NORDO. Remember acronym AVE F (Avenue F)

However, what if when conducting an approach you do not break out and have to go missed, to a point that does not funnel you back towards the initial approach fix what do you do? Just stay above the MSA for that sector and try again?
You execute the published missed approach, when done you climb to the altitude published on the approach chart (in holding, if necessary) and return to the initial approach fix and execute the approach again.

I have been chewed out by NY approach by filing a round robin IFR flight plan. Now whenever I am going to do an approach and then go home, I will file two separate IFR plans if I will be in NY approach airspace. They give me a new clearance that starts with "on departure, cleared to XXX..."

Otherwise I just file the round robin.

It's not a big deal to stop midway through an IFR flight and shoot a practice approach. You can file that in the comments on your flight plan and then inform ATC of what you want to do. They should (unless they are super busy) be able to work with you to keep your flight plan open.

I have been chewed out by NY approach by filing a round robin IFR flight plan. Now whenever I am going to do an approach and then go home, I will file two separate IFR plans if I will be in NY approach airspace. They give me a new clearance that starts with "on departure, cleared to XXX..."

Otherwise I just file the round robin.

I have been chewed out by doing it just about every way possible. Controllers can just be a-holes sometimes.

Back