Questions For FlyChicaga

Parabellum

FlyChicaga,

I tried doing a search to see if you had already answered some of these questions in other threads, but didn't find any, so I hope none of these are too repetative. Anyway, I have questions regarding your position as a new-hire F/O that I'm sure a lot of people here would be interested to hear your responses on.

I guess the first one's rather general, but how do you like the job so far?

How does flying the Saab 340 compare to flying single engine aircraft and other light twins you've flown in the past? (Obviously performance is on a different scale, but how about other things like handling, systems, flight characteristics etc.)?

How many days do your trips usually take? And,

How have the layovers been going so far?

No problem, I don't mind answering questions.

[ QUOTE ]
I guess the first one's rather general, but how do you like the job so far?

[/ QUOTE ]

I LOVE the job. I'm very happy with the company I'm at, and enjoy the people I'm working with. It's challenging flying, but that is really what makes it very fun and interesting for me I guess. Challenging from the perspective of trying to learn how to think 5 steps ahead in a very fast-paced environment of Chicago. Things are starting to flow smoothly now, even when abnormal things happen.

[ QUOTE ]
How does flying the Saab 340 compare to flying single engine aircraft and other light twins you've flown in the past? (Obviously performance is on a different scale, but how about other things like handling, systems, flight characteristics etc.)?

[/ QUOTE ]

In general it flies like a Seminole, however is much more heavy on the controls and less responsive. There is an abundance of differences between the light twins I've flown and the Saab, but most of the differences come in regards to systems management and moving faster. The Saab doesn't slow down easily, so if you are going 240 knots when you join the glideslope, you probably won't get gear and flaps down before 1000 feet AGL.

One big difference is now there are up to 34 people in back, instead of my instructor and I (or just me), so everything needs to be smooth and precise.

Plus, landings are very different. The flare is very flat, and you don't hold the nose up and land in a stall. That is a BIG NO NO in this airplane. You just fly it on at Vref, in the touchdown zone, with about 3-5 degrees nose up.

[ QUOTE ]
How many days do your trips usually take?

[/ QUOTE ]

Our company has 2, 3, and 4 day trips. Next month I have one 5-day series of "stand-ups", which is where you fly out the last flight of the night, have about a 5 hour overnight (but are on duty the whole time), and come back first flight in the morning. Then you are released until later in the day, when you do it again. Then I have a 4-day and a 3-day, plus a few days of reserve. Right now being on reserve, I've been flying single-day trips to fill in for people.

[ QUOTE ]
How have the layovers been going so far?

[/ QUOTE ]

The layovers are fine. My first was a an AM trip... we got in around 12:30 pm and our show time was 4:45 am the next day. The next was a PM trip... we got in around 11:45 pm and had a show time of around 11:30 am the next day. That's it for overnights so far. Nice hotels though!

Any other questions don't hesitate to ask!

Hey thats great information.

Your posts always get me fired up. Cant wait to be where you are now.
smile.gif

I'll be watching for you when ever you get to MLI.

Have a nice Labor day.
wink.gif

Tom

Back