Questions about Transfering

cns64

I am an Air Traffic Controller who has been in the agency for about 2 years. I am looking to transfer out of the hub and up a couple of levels. My "52 weeks" of CPC is coming up in a few months and would like to transfer ASAP. What would be my best plan of action going about this??? I would take ANY tips of how to speed up the process and of who to talk to and "chummy" up with??? Is there anyone else who has done this before and how did the proccess work?

I am an Air Traffic Controller who has been in the agency for about 2 years. I am looking to transfer out of the hub and up a couple of levels. My "52 weeks" of CPC is coming up in a few months and would like to transfer ASAP. What would be my best plan of action going about this??? I would take ANY tips of how to speed up the process and of who to talk to and "chummy" up with??? Is there anyone else who has done this before and how did the proccess work?

Get out the "Bid Binder" if your facility has one and choose one to bid on that you are qualified for. The bids all have minimum requirements listed etc. Request a bid package from the office, fill out all required paperwork and submit it. Its really not rocket surgery. A little advice, "Never let someone tell you you cannot bid a job!" When I was new, Ohare had a bid I was unqualified for. I hopped on a plane, met with the chief and explained why I couldnt submit. Within one month I had a bid package on his desk and was selected. This advice came directly from him and I never forgot it.

Are you looking to just go....anywhere....that is out of your current hub?

Or, are you looking specifically to get to a certain facility/region of the country?

I'm in your position as well. My year cpc is next week. There are a couple options available: BID on any opening you wish. Almost all openings for ATCS have the same qualifications: 52 weeks CPC, that's about it.

The other thing you can do is an ERR - Employee Requested Reassignment. This is similar to a bid package but you are sending it in NOT related to any bids. So essentially you can ERR at any time (if you are cpc then it's after your 52 wks) to any facility MAX 3 levels higher than your current one.

Send in normal bid package, but in the area where it states "BID NUMBER" just put in Employee Requested Reassingment.

I HIGHLY suggest you also VISIT the requested facility AND send that facility a copy of your entire bid package as well as sending it to the regional HQ.

I'm in your position as well. My year cpc is next week. There are a couple options available: BID on any opening you wish. Almost all openings for ATCS have the same qualifications: 52 weeks CPC, that's about it.

The other thing you can do is an ERR - Employee Requested Reassignment. This is similar to a bid package but you are sending it in NOT related to any bids. So essentially you can ERR at any time (if you are cpc then it's after your 52 wks) to any facility MAX 3 levels higher than your current one.

Send in normal bid package, but in the area where it states "BID NUMBER" just put in Employee Requested Reassingment.

I HIGHLY suggest you also VISIT the requested facility AND send that facility a copy of your entire bid package as well as sending it to the regional HQ.

I may be mistaken but isnt a ERR essentially a "hardship" bid? Reason I bring it up is you may need to substantiate or justify the hardship. Be prepared if thats the case. Hardship bids happen all the time, some justified, others not. Its a game played within the agency and you do what you gotta do to get there. No one will do it for you. Good Luck.

I may be mistaken but isnt a ERR essentially a "hardship" bid? Reason I bring it up is you may need to substantiate or justify the hardship...

Actually I don't think the white book states anything about a hardship cause. Plus, the facility managers tell you to put it in if a bid isn't an option.

Actually I don't think the white book states anything about a hardship cause. Plus, the facility managers tell you to put it in if a bid isn't an option.

You could be right. Im going to read it again. My real point was if you need to get somewhere else be prepared "in advance" for all the curveballs they can throw you. Ive done my share of moving and something always seems to come up to delay or derail the process.

if you have 52 weeks then just bid the heck out of there. if you don't get "hired" for a transfer then you are stuck. Sorry?!

I say again. If you are CPC with your 52 weeks and a BID is not available ---> ERR !!!!

When the receiving facility needs some people they will call the region and request a list of ERRs that have been submitted. Then they pick from that list, which you should be on, if there was/is no current bid out.

Either submit an ERR or complete packet per job announcement. It's the same paperwork pretty much. The contract (nontract in you will) spells out the ERR process, and the job announcement lists the required forms.
A hardship bid uses the same forms along with a couple of extra memos, also described in the contract.
You can "shotgun" ERR bids to several facilities at the same time, but be careful if several offers come in. You'll have to pick wisely. I suggest visiting facilities before bidding. As I recall, the last couple of controllers to show up at my facility visited before getting picked up.

Back