Questions about the MD-88/90 wing.

Maximilian_Jenius

Super User
I have heard Doug and other make mention several times about the MD-88/90 wing.

I have heard Doug say that it is not uncommon for him to be flying at 230-250 kts. under 10,000 ft.

So my question is. Is the MD-88/90 wing a really bad wing for that aircraft. How could it be improved and made better from an engineering stand point.

Why do you have to fly so fast with it to sustain lift?

How does the MD-88/90 wing compare to other planes in it's class. Like the 737 "classics" and the new Next Gen 737's and the 757 and possibly the old venerable 727.

And on a sidenote what is the thrust output on the MD-90 engines?

Are they BMW engines like on the 717. Cause I have heard them called International Aero Engines?

Matthew

[ QUOTE ]
I have heard Doug say that it is not uncommon for him to be flying at 230-250 kts. under 10,000 ft.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most jets will fly at 250 knots below 10, but in a heavy -90, we fly up to 260 knots for a clean configuration manuevering speed.

[ QUOTE ]
So my question is. Is the MD-88/90 wing a really bad wing for that aircraft. How could it be improved and made better from an engineering stand point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't without a huge amount of money spent on re-engineering the wing. A 10 to 12 knot reduction in clean manuevering speed isn't worth the millions to redesign the wing.

[ QUOTE ]

And on a sidenote what is the thrust output on the MD-90 engines?

[/ QUOTE ]

28,000 lbs.

[ QUOTE ]
Are they BMW engines like on the 717. Cause I have heard them called International Aero Engines?

[/ QUOTE ]

The IAE engines are made by an international consortium. Although they look a lot like the BMW engines but are made by a different company entirely.

Well I always liked the MD-88/90 series of aircraft. With the MD-90 being my favorite. Is the 90 a better airplane to fly vs the 88's?

Everett

[ QUOTE ]
Is the 90 a better airplane to fly vs the 88's?

[/ QUOTE ]

Leaps and bounds better.

Me and the captain drew numbers out of my hat to see who'd be flying which legs and coincidentially, I'm flying all of the MD-90 legs and he's flying all of the MD-88 legs.

He wanted a 'redraw'.

Ha! Dream on Karl!

So then what exactly makes the MD-90 far better an airplane to fly verses the MD-88?

Also does the MD-88/90 have short field capability because they almost seem like a "pig" on takeoff in that they usually get airborne on or right before the numbers.

Lastly why'd you refer to the MD-90 previously as a "heavy" MD-90?

Matthew

Back