Questions about Embry-Riddle

i gotda for piont o grdae piont arvig on ma scor reeprt an fnishd n ma clas #1, hou doo yuu lik dat huuu??
smile.gif
shocked.gif

reik

Hey Kyle,

You're from Chatam?? I'm from Sarnia, and going to school in London, Ontario! I go to The University of Western Ontario, and am in their new aviation program.

Unless you are an American citizen, or have a greencard, I would highly recommend staying in Canada. The reasons being that you may not get a work permit, the costs are WAY higher at ERAU, you will have to convert back to Canadian (approx. $2000) if you return, and staying in Canada will allow you to network, and make friends who will be able to help you out.

I knew someone who was interested in going to ERAU from Sarnia, but backed out after seeing the costs.

If you can afford it, then go for it. Also, if you are going for engineering, you will need science courses.

Finally, a friend of mine from UWO has a brother who went to UND, and was denied a work permit. He had to return to Canada, and convert all his licenses. His brother did not want to go through all that, so now he is in London. Also, his brother now flies for AC.

If you have any questions about UWO's program, please ask. I am not trying to sound mean or sell our school, but I really think that you could save a bundle of cash by staying in Canada. Unless you have your greencard, I would stay. That's just my opinion.

Good luck.

ps- high 70s is what UWO requires!

Always good to see there are some people who are from this area on here.

Actually I was looking at UWO's programs, and I heard it was a very good program, but I didn't feel as though it was what I was look for. From my understanding, you study a lot of coarses that are not what I'm looking for.

I really really wanted to go to Riddle, but from what I've been hearing, it will be extremely difficult since I'm a Canadian citizen (like you said, with the green card). But since I wanted to go to Riddle, I wanted to study Aeronautical Science.

People have also advised me to get my degree in something which is not related to aviation, just in case I need something to fall back on to.

So I think that I will be staying in Canada now, and attending a university around home (Western most likely) and getting my degree in who knows what. But I'm going to work on my ratings while I go to school (Empire most likely hehe!). And then I will instruct after I graduate. Then hopefully, get hired by a regional, and work up to Air Canada that way.
The only reason I've decided this is because I want something that I would be able to fall back on if I can't get hired by an airline, fail my medical etc etc.

But anyway, I'm rambling now. Thanks for helping me out!

What year are you at Western? What ratings do you have?

I'm working on my Private right now, but just started, and only have a few hours.
How are Empire's training aircraft?

Thanks a lot,
Kyle

Unless you are an American citizen, or have a greencard, I would highly recommend staying in Canada. The reasons being that you may not get a work permit, the costs are WAY higher at ERAU, you will have to convert back to Canadian (approx. $2000) if you return, and staying in Canada will allow you to network, and make friends who will be able to help you out.

I knew someone who was interested in going to ERAU from Sarnia, but backed out after seeing the costs.

If you can afford it, then go for it. Also, if you are going for engineering, you will need science courses.

Finally, a friend of mine from UWO has a brother who went to UND, and was denied a work permit. He had to return to Canada, and convert all his licenses. His brother did not want to go through all that, so now he is in London. Also, his brother now flies for AC.

If you have any questions about UWO's program, please ask. I am not trying to sound mean or sell our school, but I really think that you could save a bundle of cash by staying in Canada. Unless you have your greencard, I would stay. That's just my opinion.

Good luck.

ps- high 70s is what UWO requires![/QB][/QUOTE]

Hey Kyle,

It's good to hear that you are considering coming to UWO. It's a great school, and London is an awesome city!

I am entering into my second year, which is when the flight training begins. I have no licenses yet, but will hopefully have my PPL and night rating by May.

Empire is a great school. They have done a lot of work since working with UWO. They have built a new classroom for the students, built a new 6000 sq. foot hangar, and have purchased brand new C172Rs. I hope to fly one of the new C172Rs (1999-2000 models, I believe). They also plan on purchasing a new complex aircraft for the commercial training, and also a new twin (Seneca or Seminole; they currently have a Piper Commanche) for the twin training.

If you want the Empire's address, it is: www.empireaviation.on.ca

They also recently acquired new Katanas, which I may also get a chance to train on.

If you want the Aeronautical Science degree, then Carlton University in Ottawa has a program. Personally, if I lost my medical, I don't think I'd like to be an engineer. I'm more into business, which is why I came to UWO.

If you want to chat, you can email me at uwopilot@hotmail.com. Feel free to ask me anything, and if you want, you can ask me anything about Empire.

ps- another great thing about London is that Air Ontario has a hub there, and they work with our program. I have a meeting with Ao's manager, and a captain this week about future summer employment. The airport is also great, as everything from C152s to Dash 8s to 737s come in!

Good luck with your final year in HS!

I hear that ERAU is great. Plus I hear the programs are great too. When the students are not flying and they are not studying, what do they do at night and for there free time? Do they like to party all the time? Or is it kinda quiet all the time?

Back