Question

John Proctor

I was looking for flights to HNL fo Thanksgiving and found its cheaper to fly from BOI to HNL than from SLC to HNL by like $400. The strange thing is, the BOI to HNL flight stops first in SLC then goes to HNL. I live in Salt Lake and was wondering if I buy a ticket from BOI-HNL, could I just not show up for the BOI-SLC flight and hop on the SLC-HNL flight?

I had a similar situation looking for a flight from MSP to PHX but found that it was cheaper to go from MSP to TUS on the same flight from MSP followed by a 2hr layover in PHX before going to TUS on a RJ. It was a last minute purchase to get on the flight and it saved me money. Took the flight from MSP with no checked bags and when I got to PHX told a gate agent I will not be on the flight to TUS so she took me off. The only issue I see in your case is if you check in for both flights and don't show up for the first one, the airline may assume that you won't show up for the 2nd flight also so you should check with them.

The reason behind the pricing is that DL knows a SLC customer is stuck with them. A BOI customer could fly DL through SLC or UAL through LAX etc. They're all competing for the connector, they can "gauge" the people who live in their hubs. It's normal....

Now if you start in BOI but get off in SLC on the return who cares if the last leg us dropped. Provided you don't have checked bags.

Not that strange.

Much like how the investigative journalists are "shocked beyond all shockitude" when they report on how there's 150 people and 150 different fares paid.

Umm, yeah! :)

If you have a RT ticket and don't fly the entire first itinerary, your return may get cancelled.

If you only fly the first leg because it's cheaper, the airline could charge you the higher fare. They do have your credit card number...

I was looking for flights to HNL fo Thanksgiving and found its cheaper to fly from BOI to HNL than from SLC to HNL by like $400. The strange thing is, the BOI to HNL flight stops first in SLC then goes to HNL. I live in Salt Lake and was wondering if I buy a ticket from BOI-HNL, could I just not show up for the BOI-SLC flight and hop on the SLC-HNL flight?

No, but you can book a jaw like SLC-HNL-SLC-BOI. Will likely be as cheap. Just don't admit to anyone that you are planning on skipping the last leg.

I've done it all the time, nothing has ever happened to me.

Back