question to the line guys.

fermeh

ive applied for a part time job at an FBO at the airport im doin my flight trainin at... and i just wanted to knw, wats a typical day like workin as a line guy/gal? wat does ur 'job description' include?

Thanks

What is the airport like? light Ga? Larger GA? Just the flight school?

All those things can help answer your question, but really it depends on alot of factors. Sure, there are the routines you do but when I work the line no two days are alike.

And Good luck! let us know if you get hired

What is the airport like? light Ga? Larger GA? Just the flight school?

All those things can help answer your question, but really it depends on alot of factors. Sure, there are the routines you do but when I work the line no two days are alike.

And Good luck! let us know if you get hired

its a pretty busy airport.. KFPR, Fort Pierce,FL. Volo aviation formerly knwn as Fort Pierce Jet center. i wanna keep myself afloat while im doin my flight training.

Like N57 said, it varies by day. Where I work, we are usually assigned positions for the day (fueler, towing, etc). We do our assigned jobs and when there is no fueling or towing going on we help out the others with incoming/outgoing traffic. Basically marshaling, doing lavs, connecting GPUs, and other little tasks like those. There's quite more physical labor in it than I thought when I first started.

Where I used to work we pretty much fueled everything on the airport... our ramp, two different flight schools, airlines, highway patrol, military and so on. We spent a good portion of the day on the move driving around the airport. Pretty much like what everybody said, fueling, towing, LAVs. Customer service is huge, things like making sure aircraft have catering, ice, coffee, and newspapers on time may be the difference if they come back again or pick a different FBO the next time around.

Whatever you do at the FBO, make a good name for yourself. Network, network, network!

thanks for all the info guys. still havent heard from them yet. will apply at vero beach municipal airport pretty soon. heard they have openings there.

:yeahthat:

Even if the job sucks for one reason or another, stick with it and do your job well. Shake the hand of every pilot that walks onto your ramp. I have been working at an FBO for a little over a year now and it has done great things for me. If you want to fly, there is no better place to be. You are surrounded by what you love all day. I after I finished college (Louisiana Tech), there wasn't a whole lot on the market for new pilot. I moved back home and decided to get my helicopter add-on ratings. While I was doing that, I needed a part-time job to help with bills. I got a line job at 0R3 with Evergreen Helicopters Intl'. I got so much more out of it than a check. I met all the local guys who owned planes and helicopters, and all the pilots that flew the jets in from larger cities. I got to be good friends with these guys and now I have access to 5 different planes.

I ask every professional pilot that comes in, "What route did you take to get where you are? How long did it take? Are there any right seats available?"

I even fell into a great time building job there. I fly as an aerial communication platform for our offshore helicopters. 8+ hrs a day!

Back