Question to the graduates/atc guys...

AnImbroglio

Just a few quick curiosities... Has anyone currently in OKC or after gone through the traditional (non-PEPC) route, and if so, how long did it take after the interview to actually get to OKC? I understand it's likely to vary on a case by case basis, but I honestly have no idea about a time frame. I was told I was highly recommended by my interviewer, and should expect a TOL soon, but I'm wondering how long I've got until I'm actually in OKC.

Secondly, I know there's tons of things posted about the living arrangements in OKC concerning payment methods, FAA housing vs. not FAA, etc. etc... Can anyone give specifics though about the actual perks of going with the FAA housing? It seems all I've read has been in support of not going that route. Any comments?

Thanks in advance...

Not a graduate but can give some info.

First, I don't think it matters if you go PEPC or non-PEPC. It is all personal preference. With the PEPC you get everything done in one day and don't have to do all the different appointments for this and that; however, once you have them done and in you are in the same boat as far as waiting for clearance as the PEPC guys go. Some PEPC guys that went to the PEPC this last summer are STILL waiting on OKC dates, some non-pepc guys from summer are in OKC. There is no time frame with the FAA. Some will apply and be through in 6 months, others will wait almost 2 years!

As for the living arrangements, it depends on you. If you figure the FAA housing cost per day out to be monthly rent, you are paying between $1300-1800/month for rent. If you would like some of the per diem to help make up for the small pay, then I would say go with something other than FAA. If you aren't going to have a car, don't want to pack a lot, want fully furnished and would like the option of a maid, go with the FAA housing. Personally, since we are having to pay a mortgage payment and rent payment, we wanted more money for us and are willing to live with no furniture for 4 months. It comes down to what you can live with or without.

Again, not a graduate (in all reality not even an applicant)...this is just what I have learned through my husbands LONG hiring process (first applied in June of 2007) and from information I have received from talking with people in OKC as well as reading my husband paperwork from the FAA on housing and such.

Just a few quick curiosities... Has anyone currently in OKC or after gone through the traditional (non-PEPC) route, and if so, how long did it take after the interview to actually get to OKC? I understand it's likely to vary on a case by case basis, but I honestly have no idea about a time frame. I was told I was highly recommended by my interviewer, and should expect a TOL soon, but I'm wondering how long I've got until I'm actually in OKC.

Secondly, I know there's tons of things posted about the living arrangements in OKC concerning payment methods, FAA housing vs. not FAA, etc. etc... Can anyone give specifics though about the actual perks of going with the FAA housing? It seems all I've read has been in support of not going that route. Any comments?

Thanks in advance...

I went non-pepc and started the academy Nov 25th however I was offered a original class date of Oct 31st. I initially applied in may of this year and did all the stuff on my own over the course of about a month. i think i am an axception though, however I do have 2 CTO's and was VRA so I guess that expedited the process.

As far as housing, it doesnt really matter, it all works out in the end really. maybe a few bucks a day extra. I am staying at a hotel and the FAA is just paying for it so I didnt have to worry about fronting the rent for almost a month. Most of the places are dumps really, severely overpriced dumps.

FWIW, I went through the non-PEPC route, and here was my timeline:

January 2008 - Interviewed
February 2008 - Finished and Submitted all Necessary testing
April 2008 - Received a call with OKC Class Date
July 2008 - Reported to OKC

As far as housing is concerned, I too had a mortgage payment at home that I was responsible for. For the first month, I stayed in a Sm. Eff. Apt. at Walnut Gardens. After paying the first months rent ($1200), I decided that was too much. I moved into a much cheaper, furnished apartment that only cost $450/month. My advice is to look at the Non-FAA housing first, there is plenty of it at a reasonable price.

DG

FWIW, I went through the non-PEPC route, and here was my timeline:

January 2008 - Interviewed
February 2008 - Finished and Submitted all Necessary testing
April 2008 - Received a call with OKC Class Date
July 2008 - Reported to OKC

As far as housing is concerned, I too had a mortgage payment at home that I was responsible for. For the first month, I stayed in a Sm. Eff. Apt. at Walnut Gardens. After paying the first months rent ($1200), I decided that was too much. I moved into a much cheaper, furnished apartment that only cost $450/month. My advice is to look at the Non-FAA housing first, there is plenty of it at a reasonable price.

DG

What's the best way to find these furnished, non-faa apartments? Where did you stay?

There were a few folks that went non-PEPC that had their paperwork, psych test, drug test and medical done before the KC PEPC. Your main challenge will be keeping HR moving stuff through the pipeline so you can get things scheduled. Once I had my TOL, I was able to get everything done (save my physical, hence my comment) within a week.

What's the best way to find these furnished, non-faa apartments? Where did you stay?

I stayed at the Warren House (39th & Meridian). There are tons of complexes in the area, if you get a chance to drive around you'll see what I mean. Unfortunately, I found this apartment through a friend, so I couldn't tell you the best resources to find something in the area. Generally though, most students stay either North of the airport or in Moore.

If you can swing renting a room in someones house, that seemed to work well for some, although I prefer to have my own place.

DG

I think the FAA approved housing has the shuttle come and pick you up, so you the benefit is that you can save gas and possible have a ride if you can make it to the bus, but double check on that :)

Most of the apartments have 'corporate rates'. The ones I checked on are around $1500/mo. Just call a complex you like and ask about their corporate rates and sometimes they will have to take an empty apartment and furnish it for you and set up the utilities (they pay those).

Most of the apartments have 'corporate rates'. The ones I checked on are around $1500/mo. Just call a complex you like and ask about their corporate rates and sometimes they will have to take an empty apartment and furnish it for you and set up the utilities (they pay those).
My current plan is to get down there on Sunday (my class starts on Wednesday), stay in a hotel for a few nights and do some house hunting. I'm leaning towards the warren house but I want to just check things out. It can't be too hard to find a furnished apartment. I just don't like the idea of paying so dang much for the crappy FAA approved housing.

Back