Question...quitting or retiring before your 25 years are up.

ATCproMatt

Yeah, I was just wondering, what happens if you quit or leave the FAA after say only 10-15 years of service. I would imagine you get a 401K, but nothing else? No retirement or pension, etc etc.
However, the FAA doesn't make you sign contracts for the 25 year service do they? Like, I know some jobs you sign contracts to work said job for a length of time. Just curious, I was just thinkin' if like 20 years in I won a lot of money or got tired of the schedule or any number of reasons. Thanks again.

Any answers por favor?

Re: Question...quitting or retiring before your 25 years are

Yeah we live in America and nobody can make you work for them. Very few places have a contract longer than a year and that is usually to recoupe training cost. The FAA doesn't have any contract however you can look up the retirment to get the details like most places you must be vested its usually like 5 years. But why go through with a job you might quite plus there are a lot of other FAA opertunities if you don't like controlling its a very very big administration with lots of positions.

Almost positive that if you leave before your 25 yrs. then you ONLY get to take what you have put into your TSP (401k) You get none of what the govt. has been matching. Maybe the automatic 1% but not the extra.

No, the only reason I would leave would be if I won mucho money or when my kids were like 8+ (which I won't have kids till I'm at least 30(+8)) so I am looking around minimum 16 years...and that would be just because I know people who have gone ATC and that's their biggest thing that they say they don't spend much time at home. But that's 15 years from now lol!

Don't overlook all those nifty "punch out" options...:sarcasm:

Back