Question on which airplane to do my CFIs on.

N8081G

Recently i got my commerical-multi and single engine addon! The feeling is the best:nana2: So now i am working towards my CFII as an initial and i am wondering which airplane should i do my training on. I currently have two options, the Piper Arrow or a Cessna 172 with G/1000 glass cockpit. I am thinking that if i fly the G1000 it will be like learning to fly all over again since i need to learn how to use all its features. I did all of my training in Pipers so i am very comfortable in them. Would airlines really prefer you with G1000 experience? Money is always an issue of course. Let me know what you think.

Do it in the Arrow. The 6 pack will make you a better IFR pilot, this from someone with about 500 hours in G1000 aircraft. If you can do CFII in the Arrow, the transition to G1000 will be easy, mainly learning what buttons to push when.

:edit: If you do CFII as your initial, do you not have to do it in a complex?

I would do it in the Arrow, especially if it is cheaper.

Airlines don't care.

A friend of mine was told by ASA to call them back when he got 50 hours of glass panel time. This was about year ago, and they ended up hiring him anyway about a month later.

Alex.

Do it in what you're most comfortable with. CFI isn't the time to learn how to "fly all over again". The airlines don't care about what plane you do your CFI in; they're more interested in your PIC time, especially if it's multi and/or turbine.

A friend of mine was told by ASA to call them back when he got 50 hours of glass panel time. This was about year ago, and they ended up hiring him anyway about a month later.

Alex.

Seriously? When I did recruiting at AirTran glass time was irrelevant. I also know that XJT does not care either. Both are moot since they are furloughing now.

I began my IFR training on a G-1000 and am now finishing up on steam gauges. Flying the G-1000 is far easier that the traditional six-pac. Going back to the analog six-pac was almost like learning to fly all over again.

I feel that learning to fly IFR on the six-pac is much more challenging and made me a better IFR pilot. I feel that anyone who goes from the G-1000 into a non-G-1000 flight simulator (for an interview) will have a difficult time showing proficiency as they are likely to be all over the sky. The (cross-check) scan on the G-1000 requires a different (i.e. simplified) scanning technique as all the essential IFR information is tightly organized together.

If you have the resources to get some training on the G-1000 I’d recommend it. But if it comes down to going with one or the other, I’d stay with the traditional six-pac.

Seriously? When I did recruiting at AirTran glass time was irrelevant. I also know that XJT does not care either. Both are moot since they are furloughing now.

Yes, I guess everyone was having trouble adjusting to the glass panel in the sim, so they decided to ask for glass panel time. Like I said, they ended up hiring him anyway, but that was after he did about 10 hours with me in a glass panel plane. Don't know if that helped him any.

Alex.

Thanks for the input guys. It will be more expensive for me if i should decide to train in the G1000 but then again it is a glimpse of what the future holds for us in general aviation so why not mold myself into learning it now? I think i will stay into my six pack for now and later on when i can better afford it i'll go get checked out in a G1000 cockpit. The main goal here is to get my instructor certificate and not run out of cash in the middle of training. The Arrow itself isn't THAT much cheaper but i want to continue using IFR the conventional way.

What all that nonsense being said, any good books you'd recommend to study for the dreded CFII oral? I purchased the Gleim Test Prep today, only because i know it is an excellent product. I want to take these writtens within a month or so.

Alex.

Definitely true, I spoke to an ASA recruiter about a year ago, and the very first question she asked was, Do you have any glass time? She asked that question even before she asked about certificates, ratings, multi or total time.

Thanks for the input guys. It will be more expensive for me if i should decide to train in the G1000 but then again it is a glimpse of what the future holds for us in general aviation so why not mold myself into learning it now? I think i will stay into my six pack for now and later on when i can better afford it i'll go get checked out in a G1000 cockpit. The main goal here is to get my instructor certificate and not run out of cash in the middle of training. The Arrow itself isn't THAT much cheaper but i want to continue using IFR the conventional way.

What all that nonsense being said, any good books you'd recommend to study for the dreded CFII oral? I purchased the Gleim Test Prep today, only because i know it is an excellent product. I want to take these writtens within a month or so.

I used the ASA 'oral exam guides' for all my orals which I thought followed the examiners' questions very closely and I felt well prepared. I don't know if they have one specifically for the CFII, but I took that oral as an add on and as I recall the oral was no big deal at all. I know for a fact they have one for the instrument rating and the CFI-A, which will probably have you covered, especially for all the FOI stuff and general instructor responsibilities.

Back