Question on IR training

Mustang17c

Well-Known Member
I am currently in a situation which I would like some advice on by those who have been there or are going through curently:

I am currently about 40% or so done with my IR training. I still have 22 PIC XC time, and am slowly working on that. I am flying in Ohio where you can not fly into clouds at this time of year. I would like to gain the most out of my instrument training and would like as much actual as I can get. I feel that it is a crucial component to the training (I currently have 3.5 actual). My question is:
-Should I wait until it us warmer to continue training so I can do it in actual conditions, I would probably have to wait until mid-March until the weather is warm enough?
or
-Should I just finish at the pace I am going at and finish it within the next month and a half or so w/o any actual?
Thanks in advance for the responses
 

mtsu_av8er

Well-Known Member
[ QUOTE ]

-Should I wait until it us warmer to continue training so I can do it in actual conditions, I would probably have to wait until mid-March until the weather is warm enough?
or
-Should I just finish at the pace I am going at and finish it within the next month and a half or so w/o any actual?


[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say finish it now. You're well on your way, and you have the opportunity to finish while the info is fresh in your mind. If you wait until warmer weather, you're going to find yourself re-learning many of the things that you already know now.

After you get your ticket, you can always get with an instructor, and spend some time in the clouds. Whether it's 2 hours, or 5 hours, you'll be able to train without the "cloud" of a checkride looming over your head....
 

DE727UPS

Well-Known Member
As much as I am a believer in having some experience in actual IMC, I wouldn't worry about delaying your training just to make that happen. I'd get the rating in as efficient a manner as possible and then if you want more actual...rent a plane and fly in the clouds.
 

MidlifeFlyer

Well-Known Member
I'm with the others who've said finish the training, get the rating, and then go up with a CFII and get some actual if you feel you need the company for your own comfort level.

The fact that you even asked the question means that you are thinking about this the right way
 
Top