Question monocularity, waiver.

CProtocol

Before my question, some back story. I am [barely] illegally blind in my right eye because of macular scarring from a retinal detachment.Let me describe it a bit, I have complete peripheral vision, can navigate a room, and see colors perfectly. What I can't do is focus on objects or read anything. Corrected my vision in my right eye is 20/200 and 20/15 combined.

Now my question. I went for my first class medical two weeks ago and passed everything with flying colors, besides obviously the intermediate, distant, close vision test[passed the visual field test]. I obviously expected this so I brought a form 8500-7 filled out by by eye doctor and a copy of

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org.../ame/guide/app_process/exam_tech/et/31-34/mv/
In case my AME wasn't familiar with this case, which he wasn't. Fast Forward two weeks and he sent all of my stuff to Oklahoma City since he couldn't issue me a medical. Here is my question, what are the odds I could get a waiver or SODA? If I go the SODA route, how could I obtain it if I have no flight experience? Thanks for any help.

The chances are very good (probably close to 100%) they will issue you a SODA for monocular vision.

Okay, good, that makes me feel better. But here is my second question, if I get a SODA, doesn't that require me to show them that I am capable of landing, take off, etc.? How would I do this if I don't have flight experience?

What about 1st and 2nd class. Is it just as easy to get the waiver? could you please explain your comment on the soda. It can be done anytime during flight training?

Does it have to be with someone from FAA?

It can be requested for any class but when issued will be for that class and all classes below; i.e., if it is for a second class, you cannot use it for a first class.

The initial student license/medical will be issued as valid for student license only. After you can solo, the FAA inspector will have to do a medical flight test with you.

It can be requested for any class but when issued will be for that class and all classes below; i.e., if it is for a second class, you cannot use it for a first class.

The initial student license/medical will be issued as valid for student license only. After you can solo, the FAA inspector will have to do a medical flight test with you.

Thank you for the reply. How often are waivers issued for monocular vision without doing the sode? Or is the Soda the norm?

Thanks again for your help.

Update:

I just got my info back for OKC saying that I will get my Second class medical but with limitations, but I went in to get my first class, is this a mistake, or does it mean I can't get my first class? It does say "Pilots holding medical certificates of a lower class than that desired or who hold medical certificates with restrictions they would like removed, may use such a certificate to practice for the test". All in all, it seems that I should be able to get my first class after my Medical Flight test, especiallys since first and second class requirements are the same vision wise?

I think you can request a Medical Flight Test but since I have not seen your records I cannot be sure you qualify for a Class 1.

Back