Question For Military Pilots

Wm226

For those of you who have ever flew close air support, do you have direct communications to the ground troops on the ground or are all the messages relayed?

Thank you,
William

[ QUOTE ]
For those of you who have ever flew close air support, do you have direct communications to the ground troops on the ground or are all the messages relayed?

Thank you,
William

[/ QUOTE ]

Comms required.

[ QUOTE ]
What does "Comms required" mean?

Thank you,
William

[/ QUOTE ]

Communication required between forces on ground and CAS aircraft.

An Army retiree told me that Special Forces uses satellite telephones for communication nowadays. If you are providing close air support for such a unit, can a link between a satellite telephone and supporting aircraft(s) be established?

Thank You,
William

[ QUOTE ]
An Army retiree told me that Special Forces uses satellite telephones for communication nowadays. If you are providing close air support for such a unit, can a link between a satellite telephone and supporting aircraft(s) be established?

Thank You,
William

[/ QUOTE ]

Not as of yet. Frequencies don't match up with radios. However, that capability could come down the road.

MikeD, I am curious and I hope you don't mind me asking... What types of targets have you engaged with your A-10?

[ QUOTE ]
MikeD, I am curious and I hope you don't mind me asking but... What types of targets have you destroyed with your A-10?

[/ QUOTE ]

Been used on soft targets. Troops attacking friendly positions with mortars and small/heavy machine guns.

Hope to not have to do more, but will do what's necessary.

I've heard of the A-10 referred to as the: "Thunderbolt", "Thunderbolt 2", and "Warthog". Are those just different variants of the aircraft?

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard of the A-10 referred to as the: "Thunderbolt", "Thunderbolt 2", and "Warthog". Are those just different variants of the aircraft?

[/ QUOTE ]

T-Bolt 2 is the official name of the plane; sometimes only referred to as T-bolt. Warthog is the nickname.

Back