Question for Mike D

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
When we were in college, I heard that the A-10's gun will actually decelerate the aircraft as it's being fired, is that true?

[ QUOTE ]
When we were in college, I heard that the A-10's gun will actually decelerate the aircraft as it's being fired, is that true?

[/ QUOTE ]

If fired for long enough in a low-angle (low acceleration) shot. But it's barely noticeable since we limit to 3-4 second "tactical bursts". Still, at 70 rounds/second, that's a fair amount of rounds going down-range. At @10 ft bullet drop at 5 miles travel that's a lot of power, and with 1170 rounds, that's a lot of bursts.

Wish we could go air-air against fixed wing. That would be some damage.

Had a chance to shoot the other night, and was cleared to do so. Chose not to since I was having trouble acertaining exactly where they weren't (imperitive to know both). I knew where most of them were, but not all of them, so since they were engaging a target, but not under direct fire themselves, I elected to stand-off and try to un-f%$k the situation from my vantage point before throwing rounds that would've hit the target guaranteed, but unknown if any friendlies, and a little too close to potential civilians nearby if any richochets or stray rounds. Once I shoot, I buy those rounds/bombs/rockets. Where they go is all on me. Instead dropped parachute flares to illuminate the area for the ground guys, and that's another story.

Has an A-10 ever had an air-air kill? I guess some A-6 guy got lucky once and dropped a LGB on a runway and hit and aircraft if the gossip rings true.

Heck, I'm convinced that a T-34 and a 9mm could take out an Iraqi MiG!

[ QUOTE ]
Has an A-10 ever had an air-air kill? I guess some A-6 guy got lucky once and dropped a LGB on a runway and hit and aircraft if the gossip rings true.

Heck, I'm convinced that a T-34 and a 9mm could take out an Iraqi MiG!

[/ QUOTE ]

2 helos downed in Gulf-'91. One BK-117 and one Hughes 500, both gun kills. F-15E in Gulf dropped an LGB and hit a hovering helo; got the kill, but sort of a waste of a LGB. F-117s in Gulf attacked Balad Southeast Air Base north of Baghdad. They used the wrong LGBs (they had the impact-fuzed ones, not the delayed-penetrator ones) and the LGBs simply blew up atop the Hardened Aircraft Shelters, barely scratching them (each had one plane inside). Squadron got their butts reamed for that mistake, but low and behold, the Iraqis figure the HASs are inpenetrable and stuff the HASs full of planes, 4 or 5 to a HAS, and the 117s show up 2 nights later with the correct LGBs and blow the HASs inside out along with all the jets stuffed inside. Story for squadron changes to "we planned it that way!"
smile.gif

Back