Question for Kristie

honestly, i dunno.. i haven't decided whether I will or won't...

I enjoyed flying the 10 minutes that i did the last time we were up in a cessna... it was quite a different experience taking the reins with no ground directly beneath your feet..

If i did go for lessons, i'd probably want doug to be my instructor... but I think I like the idea of him flying me around better than me freaking out when we have to do stall practices!

it would be kinda neat to be able to live in a fly-in neighborhood where we can go flying either together or alone and it would be kinda neat to be able to do some corporate flying for some high falutin celebrity or somehting of that nature and get paid for !!
smirk.gif
that way, i wouldn't have to sit behind a computer writting traffic impact reports and going to really boring boring agency meetings all the time! hahaha

Hell Yeah Kristie! Go for it...When you get you're PPL we can all come over and have a party and crash yalls house, it'll be likes the good days again
smile.gif
!

My husband wants to be my instructor for my instrument rating, and I haven't decided if that's such a good idea. He can't keep his mouth shut while I'm driving, I can't imagine what he'd be like trying to teach me!
To his credit though he did instruct for many years during the last industry downturn, he instructed in St Louis from 1991 until he finally got hired by a canyon tour operator in Vegas in 1994 and started his way up to the majors.

Yeah my thoughts exactly not sure if that might a good idea. But Doug looks to be very patient

P.S. I get this impression all from his one picture on here...(lol)

[ QUOTE ]
...until he finally got hired by a canyon tour operator in Vegas in 1994 and started his way up to the majors.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's a job possibility that I've never seen discussed on here. Are there any flight-seeing jobs out there, as either an alternative or a supplement to flight instructing?
Do they have minimum hours for hiring purposes? Where could I find out?

My husband flew for Scenic Airlines, they flew tours out of Macarran and the North Las Vegas Airport, though now I think all their operations are strictly out of North Vegas Airport. There is also Grand Canyon Airlines that operates tours, I don't know anything about their operations.

Scenic Airlines

Scenic Airlines Pilot Recruitment

According to their website they want 1200 TT, 1000 PIC, and 50 ME. It was a great company to work for (safe, professional, treated their people well), he flew DH-6's for almost a year, and then he got hired by American Eagle. (Then he got on with TWA, and finally DL!)

Scenic is cool. We did the Grand Canyon airtour a few years back with them. Awesome!

Funny thing, is that I'm only 5'8 and I was a virtual giant compared to the rest of the passengers (Japanese).

Heck, I was a virtual giant in France too. Weird, we just make 'em bigger here I guess...

We tried to do the tour last time we were out there, we got up BFing early three days in a row to go 'standby' but every day the winds were too high, and they weren't letting anybody go! It was fun being out there though, DH saw several airplanes he had flown, and even recognized a couple captains he'd flown with. When he was flying there he had to be the 'flight attendant' and do the safety demo, of course no one could usually speak English on the tour, so nobody knew what he was saying, but when he'd rub his belly and point out the location of the yak-saks, everybody paid attention!

Yak-Saks.........Ewww

[ QUOTE ]
Heck, I was a virtual giant in France too. Weird, we just make 'em bigger here I guess...

[/ QUOTE ]

After spending time in France, you can really understand why they call America the fat country!

Yup, Scenic was cool. Did the long bus trip from Vegas to Hoover Dam to the Airport(1G4) for thrilling helo ride(front left seat!) down to the Colo. River, boat ride down the river, helo back up, bus ride to the canyon rim for a lunch, and back to Sin City. Oh yea, on the 14 mile dirt road trip to the airport in the middle of nowhere, we ran across some Aussies whose motor home was stuck(in the middle of nowhere)with a broken muffler/pipe. I had the tour bus driver stop and wait for me to scrounge for a couple of coat hangers so I could crawl underneath the middle of this huge machine, and rig up the 150lb.muffler/pipe to not drag on the ground, It worked, the Aussies thanked me, I slept with their daughter, and we were on our way! Not really on the daughter part but... That was great to be able to help those people screwed in the middle of nowhere.

Try the canyon tour, you'll love it! Bring coat hangers, it's a rough road.

Yeah, the Europeans live a totally different kind of lifestyle. Personally I think we should try a little harder to do the same. They are healthier by and large. Kinda sad, its like "What is happening to America?"

Speaking of big Americans and the Europeans, you really don't get a good grasp of exactly who fat we are as a nation until you visit Europe a few times.

I'm 5'8~9 & 180-ish and I felt like "Fat Bastard" from Austin Powers.

Plus, I'm a pretty fast walker and I about got run over while transferring at the metro stations.

I remember getting back to the US and looking around thinking, "Holy crap! We're all going to die! Look at us!"

Thank you, MQAAord. That's a helpful link.
1200-1500 TT is just about what regional airlines want for their new FOs, isn't it? Am I close?

The most important things I have learnt on the underground in London

- know you route before you go; do not get off a tube and open a map.

- go with the crowd, there is no other way to change platforms without getting run over. A stalled car in the number 4 lane...........

The nice thing about going to France and Germany though even as an enthusiastic drinker - it makes you feel as you do not have a problem.

LOL...I went to France this summer as well (flew Air France if you must know). And I did notice how skinny the Europeans were for the most part.
One reason I think they are so skinny is because they eat much smaller portions than we do. I was suprised at how much it filled me up, but yet was not very big in proportion.
I must have fit right in though because alot of the french people started asking me questions in French, Italian, or Spanish.
I have darker skin to where I look European...you'd be suprised how many times i've been asked if i'm from Spain or Italy
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
That's a job possibility that I've never seen discussed on here. Are there any flight-seeing jobs out there, as either an alternative or a supplement to flight instructing?
Do they have minimum hours for hiring purposes? Where could I find out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of FBO's do scenic flights. I did about 40 of them this summer at the FBO I work at. Luckily I'm too busy with students lately to pick them up. I'm not a big fan of doing scenic flights. After you've had a few people get sick, it gets real old. Real fast. But it is flight time...
crazy.gif

Just don't be surprised when little Timmy yaks all over the front of the airplane (I didn't know kids could hold that much) despite the fact that he has an open sicsac clenched in his hand- while you're on short final. And then don't be surprised when Timmy's dad just swoops him up and leaves after the flight, without so much as even offering to help clean up the mess. See why I hate scenic flights??
blush.gif

Tour operators like Scenic Airlines and Grand Canyon Airlines are a bit different than the 'sight-seeing' flight offered by most FBO's.
The airline tour operators have cleaning crews
smile.gif

Back