Question for Doug and the like......

jonnyb

Hey guys, quick question.

Here's my situation:

Currently I'm 25 years old and flying for a larger corporate/charter operator as PIC on King Airs and SIC on Citations. I should upgrade to captain on the citations within a year. My goal is to work for a major.

My question is: should I stay where I'm at? Or should I apply at the regionals ASAP? In other words, stay where I am till I qualify for the majors or go to a regional first in an effort to work for a major. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

jonnyb

I don't know...maybe the connections he'll make through his current path will be as good as a regional. It's all a crap shoot...

Why does he need connections? He has a good job with a company that frankly has as much chance of being around as any airline.

What's more he doesn't have to deal with TSA everyday. I am definitely leaning towards the corporate side of the airport!

Thanks for your responses guys. I'm not really too concerned about the connections so much as the 121 time. I don't know how important that is when time comes to apply at a major. I have quite a few connections at various airlines that will help in the future, I just know how much better the in-flight operation is at an airline due to standardization and SOP's etc. Your responses so far are very appreciated,,,,,,,,,,,, more are welcome............Hey Iain, remember 3 or 4 years ago when you, Ed and I went flyin' around?

In my opinion, I'd upgrade to captain because you're building turbine PIC. That turbine PIC, during the downturn is going to probably open up more doors than you can possibly realize.

It may not be part-121, but 135 really isn't a whole lote different than 121 except for dispatchers and FAR's in respect to flight time and duty.

I know lots of guys that made the jump to the majors that were from a strictly small to medium-sized corporate outfit.

[ QUOTE ]
In my opinion, I'd upgrade to captain because you're building turbine PIC. That turbine PIC, during the downturn is going to probably open up more doors than you can possibly realize.

It may not be part-121, but 135 really isn't a whole lote different than 121 except for dispatchers and FAR's in respect to flight time and duty.

I know lots of guys that made the jump to the majors that were from a strictly small to medium-sized corporate outfit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got about 1390 Turbine PIC. Will that do me any good?

[ QUOTE ]

I've got about 1390 Turbine PIC. Will that do me any good?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you were SIC in the A-10, as well as FE, and FA.

Heck, I knew lots of former F-16 pilots with 1300 hours TOTAL that got hired by the majors.

[ QUOTE ]
Heck, I knew lots of former F-16 pilots with 1300 hours TOTAL that got hired by the majors.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe. Well I guess it is Turbojet SEL, PIC. No multi time though.

Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate your replies. I think I'll just end up staying right where I'm at for now. Thanks again.

Well, being a King Air captain and Citation F/O at age 25 shows you're doing something right...good luck!
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Iain, remember 3 or 4 years ago when you, Ed and I went flyin' around?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do! Fun stuff; good times!

----
'Thanks mammy'

'....I don't know why I said that'
----

Not to mention the echo club...

cool.gif

Back