Question for current students...

69_Bug_Dude

The Undertaker
I am planning on beginning the 150 day ACPP program within the next couple months and I have a couple questions regarding getting prepared for the program. I'm not enrolled to begin yet, so I don't have the training bundle that they send out nor the apps for the IPAD.

Since I have zero hours, is there any study advice y'all can give regarding what to know before going? I have been studying the Cessna Supplement and the Seminole Supplement for a few months to get a step ahead. For the past 6 months, as time allows, I have been studying the PHAK and any FAA study material such as the Knowledge Test Guides as well.

Is there a certain curriculum that ATP provides as far as a "study guide" of what to know, when, as you go through the program?

I would like to go into ATP a step ahead rather than a step behind. Thanks in advance!

Might be helpful to knock out your writtens as far as you can, or at least study for them. Not sure what ATP provides, ozziecat35 would know, but I would grab the Sheppard Air study courses. They work great. I would imagine going in with PPL and IFR writtens complete would put you ahead of the game.

ATP does writtens onsite, but I assume they still charge for them, so I'd just do the writtens when you're there. There's not really a curriculum per se, but it's a lot of info in a short amount of time. Be prepared to spend all your free time studying and prepping for the next training event. I'd read the PHAK and AFM front to back a few times. Read the AIM and get familiar with Pt. 91 regs too. It's hard without having any time, since a lot of this info will seem alient to you, but it's all important.

If you have any questions, let us know. Good luck and fly safe!

Thanks guys! I have been studying a lot of the recommended books/publications by the FAA, so it seems that I am on the right track. Phew! I have been reading the AIM but I will take a look at pt. 91 a lil closer. Another thing that I have found beneficial are the practice FAA knowledge tests. I've found them on various online sites as I go along and I've been scoring in the mid to upper 80%'s, so even though I have zero time, I am learning this stuff. The way I look at it, it can only help to know as much possible before heading to ATP. Thanks again for the help!

Airspace requirements, etc, 91.205, all the stuff you "have to have" in order to go flying...etc

Everything Ozziecat said plus know the Cessna Training Supplement cover to cover. Your written tests are covered in your tuition fees and will be taken care of in house. If you have access to the iPad training app there is quite a few training modules available to you there. In addition, if you have access to the student extranet there is a link under Training Portal (or something like that) that has all of the ASA training videos (extremely valuable resource).
Its really good you are thinking ahead and preparing yourself because we have way to many students come through who think that they can just pay some money and get their ratings without working their butts off.
What location will you be attending?

With zero time under your belt, there is soooo much you could potentially look at as you have received no formal training or direction on where to go. I'd reccommend any of the following: the Jepessen Private & Instrument books; Rod Machado's Private & Instrument text books (really good/fun books); or the PHAK & Instrument flying handbook. Any of these combinations are fine... I like the Jep books as I think they are the most comprehensive... But they are also the most boring. Study for your prvate and instrument writtens and look at any Sporty's or ASA private pilot and instrument videos that you can. Memorize the Cessna 172 supplement. If you can do some or all of these things, you will be lightyears ahead where most start out at. One thing though, be careful how far you go (especially into instrument studying) without having an instructor. Some of the concepts and ideas in the books are backed up in the plane and by your instructor during groundschool... You don't want to get ahead of yourself and risk not having a solid understand of the material you are studying. Thats my two cents... Good luck at ATP. What location will you be attending? If you're mobile, I would recommend the RIC location... great instructors there right now.

I'll be attending the PIE location and its looking like I should be starting in Oct or Nov. With regards to the iPad, isn't the iPad included in the tuition? Someone at ATP said it was, but they could have been mistaken. I am working on memorizing both the Cessna and Seminole supplements which I have nearly the entire Cessna supplement memorized and about half of the Seminoles. I understand what you are saying about not confusing myself with the instrument side of things and have been concentrating on the PHAK mostly. I've found that American Flyers has some decent study guide that are free and I've used those a bit too. Thanks again guys!

PIE is awesome... Stopped over there on my cross countries. Really nice FBO there and beaches nearby. iPad is NOT included in the tuition.... You'll need to buy one. Also, the "required" apps are not included... You have to purchase them too. I would recommend NOT buying the ASA written exam study apps.... You will find when you get to school that most people around ATP use a program called Sheppard Air to study for their writtens (myself included). I think, and most will agree, program is better (by better I mean easier) than the ASA apps and minimizes the amout of questions you must study. Price is comparable. So again.. I wouldn't waste the money on the ASA apps if I were you. The app that everyone must have and get familiar with is ForeFlight, which is an incredible program. Good luck!

Also, make sure you get the Foreflight discount via your ATP student number...makes it crazy cheap for the 1 year subscription. Mine actually just expired...now to pony up another $75 bucks for it...but totally worth it.

Ok, so buy an iPad, foreflight but not ASA apps. Got it. Thank u! Oh, and btw...the standard foreflight or foreflight hd pro? Also, the iPad or iPad mini?

Std. Foreflight should be fine. Ipad is your preference. I manage just fine with a full size, others love the mini...ymmv

I've got the mini, but it's really just personal preference. I also shelled out the extra for the foreflight hd pro. The geo reference instrument plates and taxi diagrams are a nice situational awareness feature. But again more of a perk than something you absolutely need. Good luck when you start! I'm at the PDK location. If you have any questions just let me know.

Ok, so buy an iPad, foreflight but not ASA apps. Got it. Thank u! Oh, and btw...the standard foreflight or foreflight hd pro? Also, the iPad or iPad mini?
MINI without question. It is quite literally a thousand times better in the cockpit.

Well, how's your eyesight.

Mini for me is like reading the calories on a soda can. I prefer the size of the full iPad for maps and charts....then again I'm old. ;)

Thanks guys! I will get the mini. Next question is what data plan do y'all have? Also, I'm not quite sure I want to go all out with the Bose headset, what are your opinions on the various headsets out there? I'm planning on getting a good one that I will have for quite some time and not a POS that I have to replace in a few years.

I don't use the 3G on my iPad. Everywhere I need to connect I have wifi. Did pick up a stratus one for weather and its great.

I ditched my ANR headset for a spare now and picked up a Clarity Aloft from a guy on here for $325. Love it compared to the headclamp ANR and the noise reduction for me is just as good. Flew with a Halo QT before and like it as well. Would have bought that but price was right on the Clarity.

You won't be disappointed with the mini ( as long as you're not old). I personally have Lightspeed Zulu's and love them but spending that kind of cash isn't for everyone.

I've got the ye old fashion David Clarkes. Can't go wrong withem. I use my 4G a lot. But I'm always on the damned thing, not just for flying.

Back