Question for Chicago controllers

jtrain609

Antisocial Monster
Here's a question for anybody that works in Chicago, though I guess this is mostly directed at the center controllers:

What in the world is with you guys giving radar vectors when heading west bound? As in, we're given a clearance at the gate that includes all these fixes, and then we're handed off to center, who gives us vectors for 200 miles, and then just gives us direct to the airport. The whole time, we're exactly on the data that we plugged into the FMS.

It's only for west bound departures, and it's only in Chicago.

Why do ya'll do this? And why on the western departures, and not the south or east?

Jesus. Try coming out of KLUK. Some of the worse routing and vectors ever, only to get direct after 15 minutes.... Collins 850 is a pain in the ass to "program" ...

Same on the RVAV departures out of FLL. Issued us an RNAV departure, but gave us headings off of 28R, all the way around the right downwind, and then up to the northeast to join the AR routes. The whole time, we're 1/4 mile or so inside of the RNAV track.

Seems like an awfully lot of extra work.

Jesus. Try coming out of KLUK. Some of the worse routing and vectors ever, only to get direct after 15 minutes.... Collins 850 is a pain in the ass to "program" ...

Tell me about it- I'm based there. You can thank Indy center for most of that, from what I understand. Also, for future reference and programming ease, there are actual fix names you can plug in for the radial/distance combos that they love so much and that I assume you're referring to.

CVG206@44 is PONIE, 169@35 is KENLN, and the 033@56 is RIKLE. For whatever stupid reason (something to do with Indy center's computers, I was told), even if you file the names, they will still issue you the radials/distances in the clearance, but at least it saves some steps with the box. :ooh:

Tell me about it- I'm based there. You can thank Indy center for most of that, from what I understand. Also, for future reference and programming ease, there are actual fix names you can plug in for the radial/distance combos that they love so much and that I assume you're referring to.

CVG206@44 is PONIE, 169@35 is KENLN, and the 033@56 is RIKLE. For whatever stupid reason (something to do with Indy center's computers, I was told), even if you file the names, they will still issue you the radials/distances in the clearance, but at least it saves some steps with the box. :ooh:

Dude! Awesome, thank you! Next time I'm stuck in LUK beers on me.

TFaudree_ERAU said:
Same on the RVAV departures out of FLL. Issued us an RNAV departure, but gave us headings off of 28R, all the way around the right downwind, and then up to the northeast to join the AR routes. The whole time, we're 1/4 mile or so inside of the RNAV track.

Seems like an awfully lot of extra work.

At the airline, when we had FMSs in the Saab they always wanted to radar vector us on the departures. Then the FMSs go away and they try giving us direct everything. FLL is weird.

Back